Best ammo for 270 win Kimber Montana 84L?

pontoon

I want to go hunting in the mountains for deer in California. I'm wondering what a good, accurate round is for this purpose. I believe California requires non-lead projectile. Also I'm wondering what a good range round would be. Basically something that is cheaper but still accurate enough in this gun. I read that these light guns can be a bit picky about what they shoot well.

My 270 loves the HSM 150 Berger's. Maybe you could shoot these at the range and then reload a non lead. If they will let you shoot them at the range. Mine shoots these under .5 moa.

I want to go hunting in the mountains for deer in California. I'm wondering what a good, accurate round is for this purpose. I believe California requires non-lead projectile. Also I'm wondering what a good range round would be. Basically something that is cheaper but still accurate enough in this gun. I read that these light guns can be a bit picky about what they shoot well.

Because you're hunting Komifornia, IIWY I'd try how Trophy Grade 270 Win 130 grain E-Tip Ammo (20ct) or Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 270 Win :: 270 Win 130 gr GMX® Superformance® shoots out of your rifle.

What round should I use for cheap target practice? I just want to break the gun in and practice shooting. I am allowed to shoot lead at the range, I believe.

I can get cheap Prvi Partizan 150gr. If I practice with 150gr and hunt with 130gr is that a bad idea? I know they make 130 it's just hard to find places that will ship it to California.

Edit: found 130gr!

Is it bad to practice with 130gr prvi and hunt with nosler/hornady 130gr? I wonder if the scope will need its turret changed out?

You can practice with the inexpensive stuff but be sure you thoroughly clean your barrel when done and re-zero/confirm it with the non lead.

FWIW, these are handloads.
Barnes 130gr TSX 2975 fps drop 0-11.4" from 100-300 yds
Cutting Edge Ballistics 140gr MTH 2830 fps drop 0-11.6" from 100-300 yds
Matrix 165gr 2675 fps drops 0-13.3" from 0-300 yds

The top two are all copper as I am also in Ca. Where do you live? You should be able to find non-leaded in the local shops as it is required in most of the areas now.
Shane

Oakland CA. I'm a total novice at rifle shooting. I ordered the cheap 130gr I mentioned, hornady gmx superwhatever, and the Nosler as recommended. I also got a thousand rounds of 22lr to practice accuracy.

We all started somewhere.
I would shoot the snot out of the 22. It will help you develop your shooting skills cheaply. Once you feel comfortable enough shoot the rifle with the two different boxes you have. I would recommend cleaning the copper out before you change from one brand or the other. They use different mix of copper and therefore may shoot different.

My Barnes do not like to shoot after other bullets have been through the barrel.

The 22 was a great move. Yes ,use it to develop your shooting skills. Pay attention to bullet drift and drop. These skills will help you when you are ready to start shooting at longer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.