Kid rig

grit

Howdy,

My daughter's sneakin' up on old enough to start hunting. I've been looking around at youth size platforms. My daughter is a petite ten year old now. So far I like the ruger compact in 243. I'd appreciate any suggestions on putting together a rig for a kid, including caliber selection for small game and deer.

Thanks

I got my Daughters a Rem. model 7 in 7MM-08
and have been very happy with it.
They have taken Javelina, Coues, Antelope and elk with it.
Take a look you might like it.
Mike

PS. I did put a brake on it
Not sure you need to but it sure is nice to shot.

Kids hunting is one of the things I like the most. I have been shooting and hunting since I was 5-6. Greatest thing my dad has ever done for me. I would not go any larger than a 243. I have loaded up several 55gr bullets in 22-250's for kids to kill deer, with good sucess. A little light if not a good placed shot. I think that I would go with a 243 loaded with 70gr nosler balistic tips. I shoot them through my 6mm rem. great for deer. I would get her an TC Encore and cut off the stock and put a good sims recoil pad on it. You can get her anything from a 22rf to a 50cal muzzle loader. and when she gets bigger just get her another stock. Also some great companies who do great match barrels for them. The factory barrels have been shooting great for my mom and dad. 7mm08 with factory ammo is shooting 3/8" at 100. I think they are great for kids because you can get the other barrels and use leupolds quick release bases you only have to buy one good scope and just put the base on the new barrels. I like a bolt gun better but it is a good way to get several calibers and have a quality product.:)

I have a 14 year old who has gone through a series of 4 guns in his progression up the gun ladder. He started about the same age as your daughter and I started him off with a 223. Although small for whitetail, he killed 3 his first year and none ran more than 30 yards. Never missed until his next year when he got cocky and wanted a 243 (model 7). He might have been extra recoil sensitive, but I should have made him shoot the 223 one more year. Range time with a little trigger coaching with the 223 would be my suggestion. Don't want to intimidate her from the start. I assume you will be with her during the hunts and most of the "close" shots will be called by you anyway. My two cents.

I know this may sound odd but if you are hunting mostly white tails and other small large game I would look into a 243 or maybe a 223 if the shots are close. I would go with the 243 if you hunt in the mountains. In my expierence I think you need a 243 at least for shooting deer where the shot placement may be coming into there backs from an elevated position. If you are shooting them from the same plane then a 223 will work because your not going through as much material and it will still allow the animal to bleed out. If you are shooting the animal from above wich is very common where I live, then you shoot them high in the back trying to get the bullets down into the chest cavity, very much like bow hunting out of a tree, then you run into if the bullet does not completely penetrate then you also have no where for the deer to bleed out or an blood trail to follow.

Just my expierence from around where I live.

I got my son a T/C Encore. The Bantom (kids) stock was $45.00 online. So now he has a gun that will allow him to use many different cal.'s and a small and standard stock. One gun will allow him to rifle hunt, muzzleloader hunt, and turkey hunt. He is young so we are shooting the 22LR barrel now but he can grow into other cal.'s soon. I have a bunch of barrels for my T/C so overall I think that was the best choice for me and my son.

I like Gamehauler bought my son a Rem 7mm-08 light mtn rifle. Put a break on it and it shoots 1/2 MOA at 200 yds and big enough for deer antelope and elk. Kicks like a 223 with the break and no flinching is the name of the game!!! Did put a Timley trigger on it too.

It's because of that gun that I became the GameHauler.
My girls just kept droping critters and so I had to keep
Hauling them home:p
Mike

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

i like the idea...

....of the encore also. Kids should be taught that one well placed shot is all you need......and that you should not take the shot if not absolutely sure...when i started my boys shooting with their single shot 22's they learned that really quick ....this was discussed in another thread here labeled "daughters first deer" that was the most precious picture of the 3 1/2 yr old girl with her deer.......you might do a search and read that post......i am not to keen on muzzle breaks, just because of the extra noise involved.....some kids have trouble with muffs fitting properly and ear plugs not getting in far enough......be very careful of that happening and causing ear damage.....AJ

Thanks for the tips and replies guys. I've tried the single shot break actions myself. I found myself doing things that weren't safe. Cocking the hammer when a critter came by then forgetting and walking around with a cocked rifle with no safety. Let's just say I prefer bolt actions.

I've looked at the little remingtons, vanguards, and the ruger compact. So far I like the ruger. Are there any more kid size bolt actions?

I figure the 243 is plenty for deer, and hopefully not too much for her. I won't hesitate to brake it. Thanks for the tip about the hearing prtection.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.