Kid Build

ofdscooby

I have a Remington model 7 in 7-08 compact youth model and want to get it tuned up a bit for the kids first cow hunts this year. So here's my plan let me know what you think.
Bell and Carlson model 7 stock (it will look funny with the little barrel in it but oh well)
Timmney trigger
Leupold VX3 4x14 with CDS simple duplex
true the action
add a break
I'm hoping to get them to 500 yards pretty consistently

Thoughts?
I'm not going to change out the barrel till they get a little bigger and more capable. If you know of a better stock let me know Ive been looking at Boyds too

How small a kid? Are you sure you want to brake an already short barreled rifle?
My kids are 11 my boy and my 14 yo my middle daughter they are both shorter like me I'm 5'9" they both handle shotgun recoil fairly well my daughter is a little more gun shy but getting there. She shot her first deer last season and did great no flinch at all. Good point on the 20" barrel and a break might be a little too much.

I would take a hard look at the boyds adjustable stock...
I bought a featherweight thumbhole laminate....it isn't lite...replaces the stock on a ruger compact(16" barrel)...had to do a lot of grinding and cutting to get a good final result for that rifle...shoots really good...

Yeah the more I look at that Boyd's adjustable the more I like it. I may go that way. And I'm thinking just doing everything new Bartline 2B barrel and a brake trigger true the action just get it all done now. What do you guys think about staying with the 7-08 or should I just go 6.5creed

Yeah Boyd's has a stock that comes with adjustable LOP and adjustable cheek piece but they only make one size not a compact model so the fire end would be weird with a 20" barrel

I bought one of those for my kid's model 7. It did look ridiculous and I got rid of it immediately. As chunky, heavy, and long as that Boyd's stock was, it would need a 24" medium contour barrel to look proportional.

I think both are a great options. For young kids I would personaly go with the 6.5 suppressed. Little recoil, less noise will make them a better marksman. I beleive that noise, that comes along with a break (even with hearing protection)can make a kid develop a flinch just the same as recoil will. My daughters both shoot model 7s in 7-08 but they enjoy the 6.5 creed, more so at the bench.

Last edited:
Personally, I've always found the laminate stock on the factory model 7 to be one of the better looking laminates. Nice color, and I'm a sucker for Schnabel forends. Lop an inch of the back, throw on a good pad and viola...

If you would like to have a pair of them, I have a Model Seven Youth in 260 Remington I would sell. I was going to use the action for a custom but ended up ordering a Defiance Action.

keystone or ksa has pretty nice laminates I believe that they are a little shorter lop than a lot of the others the heritage classic version for the model 7 says 12" lop with a decelerator pad this is from stockys stocks web site I have a couple on savages that I am pretty happy with

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts