Kids rifle build suggestions

I have a TC Contender carbine in 7mm Tcu. It weighs 5-1/2 lbs. with Leupold Compace scope. It is the right size for a kid. Velocity was low enough that it didn't expand the bullets on a javelina. I started using 115 gr. Speer varmit bullets (#1617 with big HP), and they were dead right there. My 10 year old granddaughter could shoot 1" groups at 100 yds. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer under 100 yards. If you want a step up, a 7-30 Waters makes a great deer rifle. I've killed 4 aoudads with it. You can even get a .45-70 barrel for the Contender. Great little gun.

I'm wanting to build a rifle to hunt coyotes and deer for my sons to share until they can handle the bigger stuff. They are 6 and 11. I have most of the build figured out but I'm unsure which action to go with.

Stock: manners cs1
Barrel: 16" proof or hells canyon carbon fiber
Action: titanium something
Scope: vortex razor ly
Rings: tally lite

Caliber I'm not 100% on yet. 6.8 spc, 6mm br, 6.5 grendel, or maybe something with a 473 bace to make the switch when they get older.

I'm open to suggestions, thanks in advance guys.
I am a big fan of the 7.62x39 which is the parent cartridge of the grendel I believe. This round has gotten a bad rap for being inaccurate but it is the am platform that is in accurate. The ska is slightly better but very heavy. My AR Stoner upper on my M&P 15 shoots pretty good; PPU, Brown Bear, Wolf, and TulAmmo 122-123 gr shoot sub moa, Barnes 123, wolf 125 and TulAmmo 154 gr shot moa. This upper didn't like the Barnaul ammo, 3" group. It was the largest dia. Bullet at .311. The others were .308-.310. My understanding is that American made barrels are .308 and overseas barrels are .310-.312. People say the 300 Black out is better because of bullet selection however if the Ruger American and the AR uppers are .308, they have the same bullet selection. And 7.62x 39 ammo is cheaper! Plus this round is usually chambered in short barrels that don't show its full potential. The difference between a 16" barrel and a 23" barrel is around 100 fps. That may not sound like a lot but for this round it adds at least 50 yds to its terminal performance. Some say it's close to the 30-30 which has taken more deer on this continent than any other. But in reality past 100 yards, with bullets of 100-150 grains it surpasses the 30-30 in trajectory and energy. Here is the math: 125 grain 2600fps bc15
30-30 100 yds 200 yds 300 yds 400
+8.7. +10.8. 0.0. -31.4
1,223ft# 765ft# 473ft# 311ft#
7,62. +8.4. +9.7. 0.0. -24.3
130gr 1,187ft# 911ft# 693ft# 527ft#
2300fps bc 30
30-30. +10.8. +13.1. 0.0. -36.2
150gr 1,178ft# 765ft# 502ft# 365ft#
2300fps. bc 19
7.62. +9.8. +11.1. 0.0. -26.9
150gr. 1,175ft# 932ft# 737ft# 584ft#
2100fps bc 34
Now I do not recommend zeroing this round at 300yds, my Howa mini has a 22" barrel and it is zeroed at 200 which puts it 4.5" high at 100yds and about that low at 250-275 yds. These velocities were taken from 16" barrels so I can expect about 100 fps more from the Howa. The flex tip bullets have helped the 30-30 but even they only have a bc of
I'm wanting to build a rifle to hunt coyotes and deer for my sons to share until they can handle the bigger stuff. They are 6 and 11. I have most of the build figured out but I'm unsure which action to go with.

Caliber I'm not 100% on yet. 6.8 spc, 6mm br, 6.5 grendel, or maybe something with a 473 bace to make the switch when they get older.

7.62x39 Howa mini, 22" barrel gives you 100 fps over 16" velocity test barrels. It is a .311 caliber barrel so will shoot all ak ammo safely. American made barrels are .308 just like the Black Out therefore will shoot all the same bullets as are available for the 300 Black Out. 7.62x39 is equall to the 30-30 in 100-150 grain bullets at 100yds and beyond that beats it soundly. The flex tip bullets have improved the 30-30 and it can handle heavier bullets because of case capacities. But under 300yds with Barnes 123 tsx the 7.62x39 hammers deer but DOESN'T hammer your shoulder or your wallet. And buy the way Spitzer shaped fmj rifle bullets are great for hunting! They tumble when they hit creating almost as much truma as hollow points without having to pick shrapnel out of the meat!!! Pistol fmj bullets do just fly straight through unless designed to tumble like Fort Scott Munitions. Watch YouTube videos of fmj bullets in ballistic gel. They ALL TUMBLE with in a couple of inches of impact. I took a deer last year broad side through the rib cage with my M&P 15, 62 grain fmj. Exit wound was .75" and the deer only went 50 yds!!! A friend I was hunting with shot one the same size with 300 wm ballistic tip and it ran further!!

I was with you till the .243. I would have to believe that is pour bullet choice or some other issues as living in Michigan were we don't have to shoot far. I've seen more deer taken with a .243 than any other. Most don't go far. Speed kills.
I personally tend to lean towards the lightest recoil possible. Let them learn correctly without recoil.
I like the .308 reduced load idea. Never thought of that.
I would still lean towards the 6mm arc or Grendel simple for the same reason I moved from the blk. More distance. Taken several deer and hogs at just over 400 with the 6.5 Grendel with no issues
Reduced recoil 308 would be 7.62x39, and they are cheap so you can practice a lot for a little$

Based on recent experiences, I would recommend a Howa Mini in 223 re barreled to 6X45 (6/223) because it is simple and cheap to get into, accurate and versatile for what you mentioned and low recoil. The HACT two stage trigger is also a very good hunting trigger for your applications. Check it out.
I like the Howa Mini, in fact I just bought one in 7.62x39, no need to rebarrel, if you want a smaller caliber 6.5 grendel is 7.62x39 necked down and Howa offers it also. I would stay with the 7.62x39 though because ammo is cheap ad as for growing into something bigger, I am 59 years old and have 22lr up to 458 SOCOM. My big guns all have muzzle breaks because I don't like recoil!!!

I like the Howa Mini, in fact I just bought one in 7.62x39, no need to rebarrel, if you want a smaller caliber 6.5 grendel is 7.62x39 necked down and Howa offers it also. I would stay with the 7.62x39 though because ammo is cheap ad as for growing into something bigger, I am 59 years old and have 22lr up to 458 SOCOM. My big guns all have muzzle breaks because I don't like recoil!!!
I looked at the howa, and I have a few custom ones I built. Most of them seem heavy to me. I wasn't sure it was going to be light enough for my 6 year old.

I can say I love the ti actions from pierce engineering. In fact just picked up my second and third from them this week. To me it worth it to others maybe not.
Also as stated the howa mini. I bought one in 6.5 Grendel. Then sent it to twisted barrel and had them cut barrel to 16" and flute the barrel and bolt.
Topped with swfa ultra light. Thing weighs nothing and has been good on deer.
I'll weigh it andpost pictures if I get a chance tonight.

My oldest boy (11) seems to be doing well with my 243 wssm. It's a Winchester shadow, with a pencil barrel. But the little one, Might be better off with a bolt action pistol to keep the weight down. 😅

I can say I love the ti actions from pierce engineering. In fact just picked up my second and third from them this week. To me it worth it to others maybe not.
Also as stated the howa mini. I bought one in 6.5 Grendel. Then sent it to twisted barrel and had them cut barrel to 16" and flute the barrel and bolt.
Topped with swfa ultra light. Thing weighs nothing and has been good on deer.
I'll weigh it andpost pictures if I get a chance tonight.
What does the grendel weigh

.243 Winchester is far and away the best choice...but please, go with
at least a 20 inch barrel. If I could have only one center fire rifle,
it would be my .243 Winchester...so many great 90 to 100 grain
bonded core bullets!

6mm creedmore, ARC, or GT(would be my pick). Easiest enough to shoot for littles and plenty to hunt deer sized game

Here's my recommendation for new/young shooters:

The 308 has the arguably widest variety of ammo and grows with the shooter better than most. A very drama free cartridge. its my number one recommendation for a first rifle. Ammo is cheap as well.
there's the factory 125 sst reduced recoil load and I loaded a 125 accubond at 2170fps for my daughter's first deer. barely a heartbeat in the scope.
Not a fan of the 243 for deer... have seen far too many well placed shots that left little to no blood(still recovered the animals using a grid search).
It is always possible to loose an animal and we have all had that sick feeling, but you can have that happen with any caliber. I have a friend who believes you have to have at least 30 caliber to take deer reliably. He has lost deer shot with 300 wm and 45-70, although rarely. We live I NC where the Virginia strain of Whitetail run small compared to Kansas and Northern strains. A few years ago NC took off all caliber restrictions for deer hunting. Yes that's right we can and do hunt deer with 22lr!!! I have experimented with this over the past 6 years and have found that deer shot broad side with a solid 40 grain lead or copper washed 22lr get complete pass throughs and seldom go more than 20 yds. Distances must be kept under 75 yds and you can't hit any major bones going in. The 22lr doesn't spook them so they don't tend to run, the just walk around a little and then lay down. I don't use hollow points because you want penetration and the solid bullets tumble. The lunges of the first one I cleaned after shooting this way looked like I had shot it with a high-powered rifle. I have only lost one out of a truck load I've shot with 22lr over the past 6 years. By the way one of my hunting buddies is a Wildlife Officer and he hunts deer with 22lr also!!!

I looked at the howa, and I have a few custom ones I built. Most of them seem heavy to me. I wasn't sure it was going to be light enough for my 6 year old.
Size is more important than weight when dealing with a 6yo. Remember it is going to be sitting on a good rest. More important that he lines up with it well and it points well for him. Otherwise he will have a terrible time finding the animal in the scope. Some weight can be a blessing. Helps both with recoil and keeping the gun still. Doesn't matter if on a bipod or bags really. You will have to tote it for now anyway, so carrying weight doesn't matter any. Don't overthink this project.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.