K&P barrels anyone use them?

I have a SS 338 K&P barrel, ordered through LRI. One of the grooves is cut deeper than the others, confirmed by my gunsmith after mounting the blank in his machine lathe and measuring groove depths with a 0.0001" gauge. He asked if I wanted to proceed with that blank, or return it. I told him to mount and chamber it.

It shoots OK. But would probably shoot better if all grooves had been cut to equal depth.
If you call K&P they will replace it immediately.

While I don't own one ,but would like to, I've always heard nothing but positive reports from K&P owners . Pdvdh , i to would urge you to call the manufacturer, Cheers

Wow, that is unusual. I have never heard of lands not being the same depth. Sounds like an expensive lesson. How poor are the groups?
Happens all the time with mcgowan/carbon six, Proof, and saw Bartleins too. My smith videos every dial in and sends to his customers. He also sends the bad ones to me, like hey check this out! It doesn't mean they won't shoot, just inconsistent manufacturing.

I had no idea. That is disturbing considering the total cost of a rebarrel these days. My last rebarrel was a short chambered 243 that I reamed for headspace myself. Came out fine but I certainly did not dial indicate the lands.

I have a Bartlein CFW that has one deeper groove than the rest also. It shoots worse than the K&P. Didn't find out about it until I bore scoped the throat and saw groove cutter scars extending the length of the throat on one groove.

After a Gunsmith dial indicated the lands and grooves and confirmed the obvious, I contacted Bartlein and sent the barrel in for examination. Mark told me it wasn't possible for their equipment to cut one groove deeper than the others. Told me the bore met their quality control criteria. And never offered to replace that blank.

So if someone believes Bartlein is failsafe... and wants a CFW barrel chambered in 40-degree 338 LAI, threaded for the 1 1/8" BAT HR threads at 50% current retail cost, send me a PM.

Low round count. Less than ~150 bullets fired.

Last edited: