K&P barrels anyone use them?

I've never heard of K&P, bit I've learned this lesson twice in my rifle building quest. The smith that built my first custom said that he only worked with Hart barrels. When I did the research, it seemed like Hart had been around a while bit was not the newest shiniest most popular stick around. I wondered why he wasn't recommending Barlein, Kreiger, or Proof, or one of those. I trusted his knowledge and experience and got a great result.

Second time was more recently. I wanted a 22 CM, and the 'smiths that I have come to trust said that he would chamber anything that I brought to him, but if he was going to order the barrel, it would be a Lothar Walther. I had never heard of them, bit again research said that.they had lots of great products and were especially known for their. 224 bore barrels, and again it shoots lights out.

If you have someone you trust, and they have a brand that they trust.....go with it, and then tell is how it went.

I have a SS 338 K&P barrel, ordered through LRI. One of the grooves is cut deeper than the others, confirmed by my gunsmith after mounting the blank in his machine lathe and measuring groove depths with a 0.0001" gauge. He asked if I wanted to proceed with that blank, or return it. I told him to mount and chamber it.

It shoots OK. But would probably shoot better if all grooves had been cut to equal depth.

Wow, that is unusual. I have never heard of lands not being the same depth. Sounds like an expensive lesson. How poor are the groups?

Would expect "best" groups less than 1/2 MOA.

Average groups exceed ~3/4 moa. Depending on bullet fired, some exceed 1 moa.

I don't remember how I stumbled in to Green Mountain barrels but I am always amazed by how well they shoot. So far I've used 5 Green Mountain barrel blanks. I have a 6th one laying here waiting for me to put it on the lathe now. Their prices and service are both amazing as well.