Just got the reloading bug...need help in deciding

When I got into this game in 2008, I got an RCBS Rock chucker single stage press and have never looked back. I very successfully reload for all my deer and Varmint rifles, my AK variants, my ARs and my GP 100 (.38 and .357). I think the progressive press (think Dillon) comes into the picture if you are a volume shooter of semi-auto pistols, but I maybe all wet on that one.

I've had good luck RCBS dies but have some Redding dies too. Some may argue that they are not necessary but I do use the specialized RCBS "small based" dies for my ARs with more than satisfactory results. I also use a Wilson gage to make sure all my sized AR brass is in spec. No FTFs yet!

This is a good forum and you should get plenty of useful replies to your query. Cheers!
I agree, I've used my "chucker" since the early '70's and it has always performed well. I load for several bolt rifles, 2 Remingtons, one AR 10 and several handguns. I do use a couple of Lee pistol dies as I like their factory crimp dies. During my normal shooting sessions, I'll go through a couple hundred handgun rounds and up to 150 rifle rounds. I'd love a Dillon progressive but can't really justify the cost. I do use a M.E.C. metallic press to seat my rifle rounds as I believe the floating shell holder help run out problems.

After a decade or two of planning to someday start reloading, I just started to begin about a year ago. The press I had in the closet for awhile was a Lee deluxe 4 hole turret, in a starter kit, a Christmas present from the wife.
I LOVE IT.
It will do everything I need it to, and do it well. 2 min set up between 30-06 single stage and 9mm semi progressive mode.

Lessons I think I have learned so far:

Every brand of die I have tried, antique to modern uses the same thread pattern. They all do what they are supposed to. If you don't have a custom precision chamber with a tight neck, don't waste resources on bench rest grade dies.

Lee products always work, if you first read their instructions.

There is a lot of Information on the subject, much of it contradictory, test for yourself what works for you.

this is a dangerous game, SAFETY ALWAYS

small base/ar series dies have not been necessary in any of my semi-autos. Lee Pacesetter sets give me excellent results in my ARs

Get measuring tools to determine headspace from fired brass, and only resize enough to function in your application, over resizing gives me no gain, but loses case life.

I hope you have as much fun with this hobby as I do. I've learned a lot from lurking on the fringes of this forum.

100 percent agree with Jack Wagon. Save your money especially since you are just getting started. Get the Lee turret press and Lee dies. They are accurate and a lot less expensive than the others. Yes, the other more expensive presses are good, but not significantly better and you really don't need to spend the extra money. The Lee turret press can be used in a non-progressive fashion until you get your reloading skills perfected. Then you can easily convert it back to a faster progressive press in about 2 seconds without purchasing another press.

Last edited:
So here's my .02$ I understand that reloading for an ar is time consuming because you can burn through the ammo. But just starting out I personally would NOT get a progressive press unless you are being mentored constantly by someone with lots of experience. Start as many here have said with the rockchucker. Go slow and steady follow good load manuals recipes not what your buddy shoots in his blah blah.
I have had mine Rcbs press for roughly 20 plus years and other than the pin in the handle coming loose it's never failed to make great consistent ammo . Over years you can upgrade to electronic scales or different odds and ends but at first just use the kiss method.

You can use the Lee turret press without progressive loading. It's the way I use mine. It takes about 2 seconds to just lift the cam off the press and now it's a single stage press exactly like the RCBS, etc. However, all your dies are screwed into the turret at one time ready to be rotated and used. You don't have to uninstall and reinstall each die for the next step like you have to do with the RCBS Rockchucker and other single stage presses. Saves a lot of time and headaches. Set the 3-4 dies in the Lee turret one time and never have to unscrew them again. You only need to manually turn the turret by hand when you are ready for the next die. I've used several different single stage presses and prefer the Lee turret press. Remember, you'll be spending much more for the other presses and their dies and not gaining significantly in my opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah, hands down, RCBS starter kit, then get the brass prep machine...its like cheating compared to the manwell case trimmer and deburring, chamfer, flash hole, prime pockets etc. also, RCBS has a great video for beginners that really covers the basics well using their equipment. I finally rounded out my kit with the digital powder throw and I can really smoke through some reloads now and they are to 0.0 tolerances. I use the RCBS 4X4 since 1988 and am used to it. They don't make it anymore because its kind of finnicky. I do not recommend starting with progressive because they are a bit more complicated and a bit of a "do" to set up and use.

Buy a manual before you buy anything else. I bought two, lyman and the lee 2nd edition. I prefer the lee.
I also bought second hand a lee turret press with 4 plates, and am set up for 357 mag and 223 rem, the only items I bought new were a lee perfect powder measure and a set of lee delux 223 dies. I got a second hand rcbs powder scale and, tbh, it does great. I dump the powder from the lee measure straight into the pan of the rcbs scales so every load is checked.
All the brass from my rifle is neck sized only, one benefit is you don't have to lub to use the neck only lee die.
Other 223 brass gets a full resize then, after shooting through my gun gets the neck size only treatment.
My gun is a single shot ruger #3 so I don't have any feed issues.
I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the hobby as I do. Remember though tidiness and order are king, get your procedures well sorted and don't deviate from them.

Turret press is not for the inexperienced reloader. Buy a Rockchucker, learn and IF you want to jump into mass reloading, then go straight to the Dillons and nothing else. You will find it is much easier then to know what and how and you will soon discover you will want one turret press per caliber. Just way simpler and faster that way, but start with the Rockchucker. Mine is over 40 years old and still kicking them out

I started with a Rockchucker, RCBS dues, simple balance beam scale, RCBS powder measure, and 3 manuals.
Next was a Lee turret press, used single stage, same accessories. Then went to a Dillon 550b.
Currently use the Dillon for 1 handgun caliber, the turret press for 3 other handgun and 4 rifle calibers.
Oh, the Lee Turret press has loaded over 38,450 rounds, and was purchased almost 30 years ago. The Dillon has loaded over 12,000 rounds... Same balance beam, same vibrating tumbler, 4 more manuals.

Forster Co-Ax is the best option - it is as fast as a turret, as accurate as a Rock Chucker maybe even better. I have both, plus a couple of Lees and a Dillion 650. Every reloader you ask will have their preference. You have been given a lot of good advise especially the people that have suggested you read all you can before you start, just make sure the stuff you read is from the professional source - Lyman, Berger, etc

Another rock chucker vote, although i never bothered to load for the ar, as the ammo is dirt cheap and i can find a factory load that shoots,
Same with the weatherby, for a couple rounds a year it doesnt pay to waste time making ammo that is slower than factory weatherby loads. Now everything else i load for, currently 17 different cartridges.

I would absolutely recommend the Rockchucker over just about any other press. I'm not sure about the kit, I'd have to see what's in there that you can actually use and what you can toss in the trash. You will very quickly want a digital scale but don't let that beam scale get too far away... you'll want to cross check against the digital regularly. First thing, learn to zero/calibrate your scales and do so every time you start and whenever the scale is moved or bumped!

There is no reason you can't use the single stage press to load for your AR, unless you're trigger happy (which is not a bad thing!). I do all my accuracy loads on the single stage but I do have an old (I mean really, really old!) Dillon 550 that I do all my blasting AR/AK ammo on, although I do seat all my primers with a Lee hand tool (I have the old Lee prime tools, I have not heard much good about the new ones). If you want a progressive, there is Dillon and... um... Dillon!

I use BoreTech brass cleaner in a Thumblers Tumbler, which does a great job cleaning the brass. As to dies, I use mostly RCBS although there are some probably better (which the folks who make them seem awfully proud of, judging by the price!). When you get .223 or .308 dies, make sure they are SB dies, that is Small Base, specifically for autos. For accuracy, you will want a full length die set and a neck die (I use neck dies on my bull barrel AR upper without problems).

When it comes to manuals I think the Lyman and Hornady books are great to start. Sierra, Speer and Nosler also have good books but Nosler tends to cheat a bit and use a lot of custom guns for their testing, even on common calibers.

Reloading can be relaxing and even fun but you can't have any distractions... kids, TV, that kind of thing, while you're working. It can also be very rewarding when you learn to load ammo that shoots those itty-bitty groups!
Cheers,
crkckr

My opinion, if you are serious about doing this, then purchase one that is more to your liking. Do you want to change out dies and reset them each time you move from sizing die to seating die? If the answer is no, then don't bother with a single stage press, look at the Turret presses, Redding makes a good one, Lyman has one, you can dial it in and leave it set. If you are into cranking out lots of ammo in one sitting, then look at the Hornady Progressive press. Me, I started out on a used Lyman Turret press I purchased in 1992 used from a co-worker and it was old at that time, that is my press I still use today. Before that I wasted money on hand press, that was the cheap side of me kicking in, that was a lessoned learned. Whichever way you decide to go, just remember to take your time, read lots of manual's on reloading and for God's sake pay attention while loading.

RCBS Rockchuck. Bought mine in 1985 and never disappointed. I notice that some of Hornadys stuff is marginal in quality. I dont care for their dies much. Ive bought a lot of Hornady this past year but have sworn them off. Ill stick to their bullets but for reloading ill reload with RCBS. You can get pretty fast with a single stage if you do a little prep work in advance. 250 rounds an hour is possible. You can load magnum rifle to pistol ammo just fine. Watch at yard sales and the auction sites. Theres a ton of presses on there now. If you decide on a progressive go Dillon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.