Just got the reloading bug...need help in deciding

RCBS on everything except the dies if your loading vld bullets. Hornady stuff is good, Dillon is the best progressive IMHO. Single-stage is fine until you start reloading pistol or hundreds of round at a time. The most time-consuming things are measuring powder and prepping brass.

Welcome to LRH, glad your here. There's so much to learn about reloading and doing it right. You have so much information available to you just starting out. When some of us started there was no internet (oh boy, I'm getting old). At first, some people start just to make cheaper and hopefully better than factory ammo. If these attributes are all you're after then it usually doesn't take long or much effort.
Consistency and attention to detail are the keys in reloading for Long Range accuracy. The majority of equipment out is good. I've been reloading since the mid 80's and still have the same RCBS RS5 press. It's starting to wobble a little but still makes very good ammo. I have a RockChucker that my Dad left me and I should probably incorporate it in to the fold. These are the only two single stages I have ever owned/used.
I did have a Hornady L-N-L Auto Progressive for quiet a while. It is a nice machine. Once it's set up a person can crank out 500 rds of pistol ammo an hour with a little practice. I did load some rifle, hunting ammo with it for a couple of guys and they really raved on the accuracy of it but I never loaded any for myself. Mostly just auto pistol (.380/9mm/40SW&45ACP) but it does rock. I stopped using it and sold it to someone (don't remember now) on this forum a few years back.
As for dies, I have all brands except Wilson, I think. A lot of my dies started out just for building hunting ammo and through the years I have drifted farther in to the precision aspect of it and have replaced them with better, higher end dies. Not to say that you can't start out using the best for hunting, it's just I started years ago with what seemed like nothing but bills, a small family and a desire to work and hunt so I got what I could at the time.
It's hard to list all the accessories that you "need" because reloading is something that you really learn along the way. You absorb all the info you can, develop "your" style of reloading and then get tools and gadgets you need to help you create the loads that your rifle(s) need to shoot their best.
You start out being the man that makes the ammo and squeezes the trigger but turn in to a rifleman that shoots those incredible groups close to a mile away or drops that beautiful 10 point standing in the fields edge at dusk at nearly 3/4 of a mile with one shot. You don't do it for praise or glory, you do it because you're that good and you know what your rifle and ammo, that you built will do. :)
Good luck in your efforts. I hope you get the enjoyment from reloading and shooting the way a lot of us on here do. I've been at it for almost 35 yrs and there's hardly a day that goes by that I'm not thinking about some part of it. There's always something to improve and it is addictive.

I am in the process of building a AR15 and want to get into the reloading game in order to maximize my accuracy. I will also be reloading for my various hunting rifles and pistols from time to time. First, let me say, I am just beginning, so I don't really know what I need. I have been looking around and I think I have narrowed my reloading press choices down to RCBS or Hornandy based the fact that they seem to be the two most common brands. Is there any other brand that I should consider? Is there a reason that I should go with either the RCBS or Hornady over the other? In choosing my press, I don't want to make some mistake like "RCBS presses will only load rifle cartridges whereas the Hornady can be used to load rifle and pistol cartridges". Or, "the RCBS presses will except any brand of turrets and dies while the Hornady will only except Hornady branded items". Second, I am trying to decide between a single stage and a progressive stage reloading press. Is there any advantage to the progressive stage press other than speed? If it helps, I will only probably reloading a hundred to two hundred rounds at a time maybe once a month or so. Based on the above statements, does anyone have a recommendation on a specific reloader that will fit my needs? The three presses that I had my eye on before posting in this forum were RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic, and Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive. Thanks for any comments back.

I am in the process of building a AR15 and want to get into the reloading game in order to maximize my accuracy. I will also be reloading for my various hunting rifles and pistols from time to time. First, let me say, I am just beginning, so I don't really know what I need. I have been looking around and I think I have narrowed my reloading press choices down to RCBS or Hornandy based the fact that they seem to be the two most common brands. Is there any other brand that I should consider? Is there a reason that I should go with either the RCBS or Hornady over the other? In choosing my press, I don't want to make some mistake like "RCBS presses will only load rifle cartridges whereas the Hornady can be used to load rifle and pistol cartridges". Or, "the RCBS presses will except any brand of turrets and dies while the Hornady will only except Hornady branded items". Second, I am trying to decide between a single stage and a progressive stage reloading press. Is there any advantage to the progressive stage press other than speed? If it helps, I will only probably reloading a hundred to two hundred rounds at a time maybe once a month or so. Based on the above statements, does anyone have a recommendation on a specific reloader that will fit my needs? The three presses that I had my eye on before posting in this forum were RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic, and Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive. Thanks for any comments back.
You must first ask yourself what is your intent to reload. Are you just punching paper, are you a hunter, do you plan on any long range shooting and hunting. IMO a progressive is for a reloaded who really doesn't care about accuracy versus loading for quantity. Yes the Hornady Ammo Plant is awesome but since you're a beginner, it may be too much for you. A single stage turret press seems to be a better choice for beginners. I would highly suggest Redding T3 Turret Press. Redding makes awesome dies, so does RCBS and Hornady. I tend to stay away from Lee dies but I love their Factory Crimp Die. Take your time reloading and have a plan/steps to follow. This way you won't miss any steps. One rule in my business, is that when powder is being measured, there is absolutely no interruptions made until we are complete. Pay attention to the small stuff.

Start with the Rock Chucker Kit. Don't even think about reloading for your AR or even pistols with a single stage press. If you think you're going to enjoy it then start saving up for a Dillon. One word of caution, don't get sucked into the hype that you need a 650,750, or 1050 Dillon. The 550 is great and will do 95% of what you want in a progressive. I honestly laughed at the suggestions though that it will take a long time to recoup your costs. If you shoot any oddball brass or any magnum calibers in general, you can pay for that single stage press in a year.

I'm sure you will get lots of information and opinions on which reloading equipment is best. One of my biggest learnings in reloading was the need to measure the results of what you produce if you want to work toward better results. My recommendation would be sure to include funds in your plans for a chronograph, high quality calipers with accessories to be able to measure case length and bullet ogive lengths accurately. A good concentricity gauge will also help in point out issues.
In my early days, I loaded lots of ammunition that went bang and hit paper and game at close and modest ranges but it wasn't until I got better measuring equipment to assess my results that I was able to begin reloading for truly better precision.

I have the rcbs rock chucher and use it a lot i and a friend bought a dillon progress press and i have used it twice in 3 years if you shoot a lot and i mean a lot then the dillon is what you need a manual on reloading will tell you a lot about equipment and reloading components.

Rock chucker is a great press, but, I have limited time. One of the beat changes I made to my bench was installing a Forster Co-Ax, but my favourite part about it is that all of my dies have rings on them, bullet pullers, expander die, decapper. This makes it very fast to swap dies, they dont need to be reset. It is a very versatile system. Sorta like a turret press, without the negatives.

There are other presses out there that have this feature now, Frankford Arsenal comes to mind. I think that feature is the most underrated aspect of the Co-Ax and that style of press.

Rock chucker is a great press, but, I have limited time. One of the beat changes I made to my bench was installing a Forster Co-Ax, but my favourite part about it is that all of my dies have rings on them, bullet pullers, expander die, decapper. This makes it very fast to swap dies, they dont need to be reset. It is a very versatile system. Sorta like a turret press, without the negatives.

There are other presses out there that have this feature now, Frankford Arsenal comes to mind. I think that feature is the most underrated aspect of the Co-Ax and that style of press.
+1 on Forster co-ax

Started with Lee Challenger (ultimately gave it to my son)
Went to Hornady Classic
Then Redding Big Boss (w/ LnL quick Change)
Then to a Redding T7

Like 65grendel & tdot
The Forster Co-Ax was by far the best upgrade I've made to my reloading process.

There are great KITS out to get just about everything you need now for under 600.00. I have used the RCBS ROCK CHUCKER for over 40 years and haven't found anything yet that I can't reload with it.

I use a Lyman Turret press for my powder measuring bullet puller neck sizing and full length sizing then I have an RCBS summit press with a Forster seating die for seating bullets RCBS priming tool Hornady Bullet comparator Hornady head space gauge Hornady concentricity gauge a Lyman electric case trimmer a loritone tumbler a Hornady straight OAL gauge and a pile of different RCBS dies

I started with an RCBS Rockchucker 40 years ago and switched to the Rockchucker Supreme a few years back. Both covered everything from 38 Special to 300 RUM. I have had many die brands but generally find that I prefer my RCBS ones. As mentioned elsewhere, read lots of reloading manuals.

I purchased a RockChuker 49 years ago & it has always given me excellent service! Most of my reloading equipment is R.C.B.S. mainly because of the quality & outstanding customer service & warranty. I stick with single stage because it allows me to pay close attention to case preparation & accuracy, which is very important.

One of the best pieces of reloading equipment I have purchased since the RockChuker is the R.C.B.S. ChargeMaster scale. Accurant powder measurement was always time consuming, but the ChargeMaster has made it fast, accurate & easy. I would recommend spending extra money to purchase it rather than a progressive press (unless you are shooting hundreds of rounds each month).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.