Just can't wait any longer have to share my new 300 JAZZ!

Nate,

Just wondering if the 338 Norma Mag cases are stronger then that companies version of the Lapua Magnum?

I used some of the Norma 338 Lapua cases early on in my development of my 7mm, 300, and 338 and found them to be about the same strength as a Remington RUM case. With my improved case design I was able to get around 100 fps over the RUM chamberings in same caliber but the primer pockets let loose rather rapidly.

Switched to the Lapua cases, gained another 75 to 100 fps over the RUMs and I have yet to loosen a primer pocket to date.

Just wondering if they have improved the head strength of their new 338 Norma Mag case. I assume so since you chose that over the Lapua. I was always impressed with the quality of the Norma cases, just which they would take the top end pressures better. Maybe that has been corrected.

Hell of a rifle by the way.

Kirby,
Here are my findings so far.

I weighed a bunch and measured neck thickness. They were super consistent..very happy.
flash holes had no burrs inside
primer pocket depth was pretty good. The base of the case is designed different than the Lapua although it is the same dia. the Lapua shell holder will not work due to the diameter being larger in the extraction groove. also the extraction groove is narrower than the Lapua making this case 'beefier' than the lapua.
I only have 5 reloads on a single case so far but, no sign of loosening primer pockets. My goal was 3200FPS with 210's and it has easily met this with the Retumbo.
Pressures are a little high with the H-1000 at 3200FPS. There is plenty of room in the case even with 92 gr. of Retumbo, There is a little space between base of bullet and powder.

This case was definitely designed for pressure. I'm not one to push things to the limit so I am quite fond of Norma brass. If loaded to decent pressures, it seems to be very good as far as necks cracking and longevity.

I have the reamer and sizing reamer for the .284 JAZZ. hopefully will be testing one of these in the near future. I have 1000 pc. of Norma brass and will be offering it with builds.

I have been working on designing these chamberings since last summer and it is pretty exciting to finally be getting some results. I have a few pix of some groups and will try to get them on in a few days.

308nate

Thanks guys for all the kind words. This has definitely been a joint effort of many.
I just happened to be the guy who gets to assemble this rifle and test this round:)
again, without great components and helpful customers this would not have been possible.

All the best,
308Nate

THanks for the information. What does the Norma brass cost compared to Lapuas 338 brass?

I fully agree, there is really nothing like the process of having an idea, putting it on paper, getting reamers made, ordering parts, waiting, waiting, waiting and then when everything gets in its hard to not jump all over it to get it built.

Then to see things come together on the range just as you hoped or even better is as rewarding as anything in our sport.

The next great things you will surely experience are taking game with your new creation and even more rewarding, your customers letting you know how happy they are with your brainchild as it has served them well.

Congrats. Well thought out projects generally always work out well, obviously you put plenty of thought into this one and it will serve you well.

geez that one heck of a nice looking rifle! i really like the fluting on the barrel, like a skip pattern it looks formidable with that big brake on the front.

THanks for the information. What does the Norma brass cost compared to Lapuas 338 brass?

I fully agree, there is really nothing like the process of having an idea, putting it on paper, getting reamers made, ordering parts, waiting, waiting, waiting and then when everything gets in its hard to not jump all over it to get it built.

Then to see things come together on the range just as you hoped or even better is as rewarding as anything in our sport.

The next great things you will surely experience are taking game with your new creation and even more rewarding, your customers letting you know how happy they are with your brainchild as it has served them well.

Congrats. Well thought out projects generally always work out well, obviously you put plenty of thought into this one and it will serve you well.

The .338 Norma brass I'm selling for $1.65 pc. it may have gone up some as I bought this stuff several months ago.

Agreed on all the above. Thanks for your input!

308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.