Just bought 4 Rem 783's for $199 each!

Awesome! I've loved following this thread from the first post. Great step by step progress reports all culminating in a littl tiny hole! I won't encourage stopping load development at this point, though purely for selfish reasons, as I do enjoy the periodic updates! Well done sir!!gun)

Until tonight I still hadn't shot either one of the Rem 783's since I've got the new barrels. Life is busy!

I found out that my wife was going to be gone with the kids for a few hours tonight. So as quickly as I could I finished up the necessities needed for the Rem 783 with the 6.5-284 barrel to shoot. I threw the pic rail on and my 16x SWFA scope real quick. Then I picked a random load and loaded up 10 rounds. Off to the range!

First time I've ever installed a barrel and first time ever loading for a 6.5-284; this is 4 shots through the same hole at 100 yards! To give perspective, that target is only 3 inches across.

First_shots_with_new_barrel_65_284.jpg

Shots 1-6 I shot, then cleaned, shot then cleaned, shot then cleaned.

Shots 7, 8, 9, and 10 are the picture above. Shot sitting at a bench off sand bags.

Maybe I just got lucky and picked a fantastic load. But if this is any indication of how accurate this rifle is going to be, I have to say I'm pretty ecstatic about this new Criterion barrel!

I was so excited I texted that picture to a few buddies who shoot, but don't reload. All 3 of them said "Yeah but you didn't even hit the bulls-eye". I need to remember to not share pictures of my targets with guys who aren't into reloading. I told them all, hitting the bulls-eye is an easy scope adjustment. Putting 4 shots through the same hold is hard! None of them seemed impressed. So since you guys on this forum know what the heck is going on, maybe I can get some kudos from you all! :D

Beginner's luck....... :rolleyes:

Just messing with you man. :D

That's great. Sounds like you did the same thing I did for my 5R .308 Win when I picked a random load for my 210 VLD's...Put 5 of them into a group like your's. I guess the old saying is true, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. :cool:

Also, you liking that SWFA SS scope? I remember we were talking about them a while back, I didn't know you had gotten one. Did you go with the MilQuad reticle?

Beginner's luck....... :rolleyes:

Just messing with you man. :D

That's great. Sounds like you did the same thing I did for my 5R .308 Win when I picked a random load for my 210 VLD's...Put 5 of them into a group like your's. I guess the old saying is true, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. :cool:

Also, you liking that SWFA SS scope? I remember we were talking about them a while back, I didn't know you had gotten one. Did you go with the MilQuad reticle?

Thanks Mudrunner! It wasn't completely blind. I did a bit of Internet searching and saw what most guys were loading, then just verified in the manual it was a safe load. I was shooting the 142gr SMK bullets with H4350 powder and Lapua brass.

I bought a SWFA 10x first. Then on Black Friday I bought 3 more. (Great deals). I definitely like the SWFA scopes a lot. So I have the 10x, 2 12x's, and a 16x. One is still unused at this time... But it's earmarked for that other Rem 783 that is yet to be put together. :)

I'm a huge fan of Mil/Mil scopes now a days. My shooting friends still don't believe it when I tell them I can zero a scope in 2-3 shots. Easy as pie when your reticle matches your turrets!

That's awesome Engineer, very well done!

Thanks 7mmShooter!

Awesome! I've loved following this thread from the first post. Great step by step progress reports all culminating in a littl tiny hole! I won't encourage stopping load development at this point, though purely for selfish reasons, as I do enjoy the periodic updates! Well done sir!!gun)

Thanks! I know, part of me is thinking that these 6.5-284's aren't known for their barrel life. Maybe I should just stick with what is working so great already!

Ahh, I can't do that. I'll need to try some other loads too. :) Besides I haven't even tried my Hornady ELD-X bullets yet!

I got the muzzle brake timed this morning, so figured I'd post a couple pics of where the 6.5-284 rifle is at this point. This is a heavy and long beast. Exactly what I wanted. :)

The barrel will not be staying uncoated and the stock will not be staying black. Stay tuned....

I know these JP Recoil Eliminators have very polarizing opinions about them. Looks aside, I really like them. Significant recoil reduction without pushing the concussion back towards the shooter like some of the brakes do that have the vents cut at an angle. Also it's pretty much the best thing around for keeping your rifle pointed on target.

So far I've been real happy with the Criterion 28" bull barrel, the PT&G bottom metal, the EGW 20 MOA picatinny rail, the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, and the Accuracy International Magazine. I don't have much invested into this rifle for the way it shoots and looks.

I've also learned a lot and have had a good time so far... which I think was the point in all of this. :)

IMG_20160708_125118_179.jpg

IMG_20160708_125126_018.jpg

IMG_20160708_125142_219.jpg

IMG_20160708_125304_684.jpg

Another range report for the Rem 783 chambered in 6.5-284...

(But not from my point of view, from my 14 year old son's point of view).

Seems like we're going to break a record this summer in Michigan for the most days over 90 degrees. So range time has been limited. My older son has really been asking me a lot for an opportunity to shoot this rifle. Finally a few days ago it was only 80 degrees in the morning, so I took him out shooting.

Verdict is in... it's his new favorite firearm to shoot! He even likes shooting it more than my AR's! Using this rifle he was able to put 3 shots into 1 jagged hole at 100 yards; a first for him. He also likes that it has virtually no recoil. You definitely hear it shoot, but the recoil never comes. And I have to agree with him, that is pretty awesome. He says the recoil feels like shooting my 10/22. I think it's a bit more than that, but it is less felt recoil than any AR 15 I've shot. I don't know how accurate my scale is, but I weighed the rifle on my bathroom scale at 17lbs with the scope.

To wrap up, he says he loves that it's a powerful cartridge that makes a big BOOM but also doesn't beat him up. He likes that it's easy to shoot it accurately. And he loves the way it looks.

So far, I'm still happy with the choices of my modifications to this rifle! And my son's enthusiasm for it makes me want to build him a heavy 6mmBR rifle someday!

(Now if I could only get him to remember to not eject my Lapua brass out so fast and stop letting it hit the cement!) :)

Oh one more thing... The AI magazines for a 300 Win Mag do feed the 6.5-284 cases perfect! I've had zero issues with feeding with having done no modifications to the magazine.

This was something that I was concerned with while I was planning the rifle and putting it together. It's all good! :)

I've been staring at this piece of English Walnut for 2 hours.

Comparing it to the other Remington 783 stocks I have... Just studying it.

I've erased the pencil marks at least a dozen times of where I'm going to drill through for the bottom metal.

When I take measurements to figure out where everything should be, it's in a way different area then when I hold the stock and try to see where it feels the most comfortable.

I have no idea what I'm doing. But here goes nothing!

IMG_20160909_114640_924.jpg

Thanks for the invite E-40.

Looks like you folks have got things under-way on the Remmy 783 projects.

I will have to spend some time back reading and jonting down notes on barrels and other small improvements that "could" improve the quality of a frugal rifle like this.

I'm still doing my research on 2 other brands of rifles as well, but I've alway had Remington rifles over the many years.

Keep up the good work overs as its fun to have ideas that all can share in.

Pal Don from the America's

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.