Johnsons Paste Wax

Buffalobob

I now have two waxed up guns and don't have a clue as to how to get the wax off.

It seems a lot of people recommend it as a good release agent and it does that very well but then you are left with a waxed action and if you get a cloth and rub it, naturally it just polishes up, but doesn't come off.

What do you use to get the wax off of the action?

Acetone and a toothbrush, qtip & a rag usually does the trick. Be careful of certain types of finishes on the metal as acetone is tough on teflon finishes.

We just had a tip sent in to Gunsmiths tips page Gunsmiths tips page about that subject (the tips page won't be up for sometime but please continue to send in your tips). The submitter forgot to give us his name so I can't give him credit for the information but I tried it just now and it works. He or she uses Homer Formby's build up remover, The green bottle was specified. I use this stuff instead of water when wet sanding stocks so I put the wax on a barrel let it set for an hour and removed all of it with just a rag and the build up remover it worked just fine.

Seriously, why not just leave it?

What about after a rain, wouldn't it protect against rust?

I ain't about to take a rife apart for cleaning/drying during a hunt so I just leave there and from time to time refresh it.

BTW, min wax is pretty good also.

I use a shop rag and mineral spirits to remove wax that has been used as a release agent. The toothbrush helps also. After a thorough cleaning, as described above, a new coat of paste wax can be applied. It really does provide great protection against moisture.

I recently bought a can of their Paste wax, and promptly hid it from SWMBO!

It's good stuff to have around. A very light coat applied to the exposed metal gives reasonable protection from condensate and rain while you're in the field.

[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought a can of their Paste wax, and promptly hid it from SWMBO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Otherwise you will be smearing it on wooden objects instead of guns.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am certainly surprised at the answers

I just waxed up my Accumark matte action for the purpose of bedding it with Meguires car wax. It worked fine as a release agent. I then just sprayed it down with good old WD40 and wiped the wax right off. I'm sure it would wipe the Johnsons off as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.