Jewell trigger?

Randy Dunn

Hello Everyone,
Are there, and if so what are the draw backs to installing a Jewell trigger on a hunting rifle. I notice a lot of custom gun makers offer their BR or varmit rifles with Jewell triggers but when it comes to the hunting rifles it is usally a Rifle Basix, Timney, or Shilen. Is there a reason for this like a dependability problem with the Jewell or is it that most people do not want to spend the money to put a Jewell on their hunting rifle? I am looking for a top of the line stainless trigger.

Thanks for any input,
radunn

I hunt with a Jewell trigger. It is an exellent trigger and I have not had a problum with it.

I dont think youll find any dependability problems with the jewell hvr.Its adjustable from "way too light to be on a field gun" to 4.5 lbs.I sent two to borden to have installed on the actions from him and will soon have another on my sendero.That being said,there is nothing wrong with the other triggers you list and all of them have probably been used on everything from some kind of competition gun to big game rifles.For me,I guess I go with jewell for the confidence factor.If you have something on your gun you feel you dont have confidence in,it shouldnt be there.

Hi i have fitted 2 Rifle Basix triggers for customers and can get a better feeling trigger out of doing a trigger job to their existing rem triggers i will never own one. I have a few Jewels now and will buy no other rem style trigger i have a HVR set to 6 oz with a bottom safety for my 338WBX as it will be sleved and also have a detachable mag i want to have better bedding surfaces so not having to cut out for the top safety is a plus. I also have a 3 position Gentry Safety going on the rifle the trigger safety is just for added security. The beauty of the Jewell is you can order it direct fron Jewell and have it pre set at the factoru to your desired trigger weight and they are almost perfect when placed onto any action.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I hunt with the Jewell trigger set to 24oz (1-1/4 pound) and I have no problems with any of the rifles that I have them installed in.

I installed all 4 triggers that I have purchased myself. Install in a 700 action is pretty simple.

I bought my first two triggers from Midway. I was talking to a friend of mine and he wondered why I mail ordered them when Jewell is just down the road :cool: Sure enough... Jewell Triggers is about an hours drive from my house. I went for a visit today and picked up two triggers for a 700 short action. They set my triggers for me while I waited. I had a good conversation with one of the employees as he adjusted my triggers for me. Unfortunately the owner was out when I showed up but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and not having to wait for UPS :D

Jewel triggers are precision instruments, and as such do not react well with dirt and grime. I can only presume that the reason some smiths may steer away from them for "Hunting" rifles is that one, they are more expensive, and two that the client may be cleaning from the muzzle and would get solvent, oil and such into the trigger and that coupled with never disassembling the rifle to clean the trigger WILL eventually result in a malfunction.
Jewel recommends no lubrication and clean by flushing with lighter fluid.
Dave

Jewel triggers are precision instruments, and as such do not react well with dirt and grime. I can only presume that the reason some smiths may steer away from them for "Hunting" rifles is that one, they are more expensive, and two that the client may be cleaning from the muzzle and would get solvent, oil and such into the trigger and that coupled with never disassembling the rifle to clean the trigger WILL eventually result in a malfunction.
Jewel recommends no lubrication and clean by flushing with lighter fluid.
Dave

I have a safe full of rifles with the Jewell and if you follow the directions from Jewell you will not have problems-----at least I never have.

I have several Jewels, and have never had an issue with them.
But don't consider for a second that Jewel is the 'best' trigger.
That is really subjective to what you like in a trigger.

I find the extremely short travel of Jewels is causing me to jab at them, rather than squeeze. Well, there is no squeezing my BR model Jewels -without specific focus in that regard.
Travel to release is in the thousandths(imperceptible). So it is diffcult to go from a jewel on one gun, to anything else on another.
Except 2-stage triggers

I prefer the Anschütz 5018 two stage trigger over Jewel. They are perfect IMO.
Every kind of adjustment there is, including trigger shoe angles. And custom shoes are a nice option, as we all experience shooting differently. That release is unique for each of us.
Trying to get hangers made to put these on BAT actions..

Anyway, there is nothing to fear in Jewels. They are worth the money.

In my opinion if you want a trigger between 1oz and 1lb you cant go wrong with a jewell. But for a true hunting rifle where a 1-1/4lb to 2-1/2lb trigger is wanted i feel a jewell is a waste of money. I recently got a jewell trigger with safety and tried all springs and adjustments and i thought it was horrible. I traded it back in for a factory x-trigger (stoned/polished and tuned) and like it MUCH better.

PS Mike 24oz is 1-1/2lb not 1-1/4lb.

:D true. That's what I get for trying to cypher. My triggers are set at 1 pound, 4 ounces (20 ozs). I personally couldn't stand the X-mark trigger... I guess it's a personal preference thing

I prefer Jewell and haven't had any problems. As others have mentioned what one feels is best is a personal thing...some love them and some wouldn't have one. For hunting I wouldn't go much under a 1.5 lb pull but, then again that's a personal preference. Let us know what you decide and how you like it. Enjoy.

Being from New Zealand could someone please let me know Jewell Triggers contact details as I need a decent trigger for my new Ruger Hawkeye Predator that is crisp without creep.

They don't have a website.

Jewell Triggers, Inc
3620 N. State Highway 123
San Marcos, TX 78666
(512) 353-2999

I bought 2 of the 3 that I have directly from them but it's only a 90 mile drive for me. I bought the first one from Midway, USA.

I don't think they make them for Ruger's. Just Remington 700 actions and AR's from what I remember.

There is one major problem with the jewell trigger; Once you buy one you will want to
replace every other trigger you have.

I use and like older remington 40x triggers,Shillien,timney and kanjar but the Jewell is the best in
my opinion.

You get what you pay for.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.