jewell trigger

tired

I have a sendero 7rem mag that I just dont like the trigger on and I've read that thr jewell is the best.So does anyone have first hand knowlage? Where the cheapest place to buy one?

...can tell you firsthand, you'll never regret a Jewell trigger... Bruno's is among the cheapest place to buy that I know of, but would be happy if someone knows another place cheaper... should be slightly above $200, if you get the safety and bolt release... this should be standard equipment on any Rem you're serious about accuracy with... of course, some will say "save your money", the Rem can be adjusted etc... I'll let you wrestle with that one... hope this helps...Larry

I have installed hundreds of Jewels. With that said they belong on target rifles not hunting rifles. They are made so well and to very tight tolerances that I have seen them fail many times with the slightest bit of dirt from real world hunting situations. I can easily get a factory Rem trigger down to 1 1/2 lbs which is lighter than most people like for hunting rifles.
The Jewell will run about $200 and a good trigger job $50.

I don't dispute Mr. Mathewes experiences, but between myself, family and friends we have four rifles with Jewell triggers that are used every year deer and elk hunting - not one instance of failure. We all love the triggers. On the other hand, I have personally had a Remington trigger fail once while attempting to shoot a spike elk. All of this is antidotal, so take it for what it is worth, but in my experience the Jewell triggers are real gems.

You can split the difference with a Rifle Basix. This is the trigger that Dave Gentry recommends with his safety conversion. I've used several and had good luck. Different models and weights for different uses. Brownell carries them.

Jewell makes one of the best triggers in this world. I would not want it to be under a 2 1/2lbs pull for safety sake for hunting. If you will follow the manufactors recommandations and clean with lighter fluid, I've never had a problem with Mr. Jewell's triggers. Just do not take it apart to clean, just juice from the openings and let set to dry. Lester Bruno does have good prices on Jewell triggers. I warn you that the use of a Jewell trigger will spoil you!

Tired,
I have tuned many Remington and Winchester triggers down to 1 lb.
I installed a Jewell hunting trigger on my 6x284 VLS and I would not take it off - Period!
I have had Rifle Basix and Shilen but neither compare to Jewell and I'm one of the biggest tight wads around.
David Tubbs "Tubb 2000 Tactical Rifle" (If I ever Get Rich I'm Going To Buy One) has an Anschutz competition trigger on the right hand models and a Jewell stainless on the left hand model. Good recommendation.
I have not tried the Anschutz - yet.
Buy the best your pocketbook will allow.

Larry

Love Jewells on by BR and LR guns.

However, for a carry hunting type LR gun, a reworked Remington is much cheaper and perfectly adequate. Rework can be from $35-50, take it down to 1.5 - 2 lbs but crisp and clean. Crisp and clean mean much more than light weight.

Neil Jones is one of the best www.neiljones.com and offers one of the best custom dies.

BH

You might also look at Georgia Precision they to carry them for $199 link is below.
http://www.georgiaprecision.com/cart/items/RemJewell.htm

I too like my rifles and shotguns set between that 1 - 1 1/2# but closer to the 1# if possible but it normally depends on how cheep I want to be for that firearm. All in what you like or are use to.

FYI there are many ways to get your Rem to break crisp & cleanly at 1 1/2# or more pounds without the $200 price tag. I find that I enjoy things more when I decide to get something rather than let others influence me into things which I might have otherwise not got.

Good Luck and Have FUN,
Ben

Everyone makes good points on this one. Here goes my .02. The jewell is by far the best I have used which includes timmney triggers. The factory remington triggers are ususally great triggers however sometimes you will have to do a trigger job to get them satisfactory. I personally have never had a jewell fail like brass bender said I also use mine to hunt regularly. I recomend deciding if you want to spend 200 bucks on it now or 50 bucks getting a good trigger job. If you want to go ahead and spend the money now for the jewell I can assure you you will not be disapointed with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Like another said you will become spoiled with a jewell trigger and may not ever be satisfied by another brand on future rifles. Bottom line is the jewell is a very high quality piece of work and worth the price if you decide to go that route. If you want to look at some reviews go to www.midwayusa.com and look under gun parts then find triggers for your model and check out some of the reviews by other people who own them. That about raps it up for now hope that helps!

Chris, any of you guys.. i came across some replacement parts for Remmy 700 triggers in a Brownells new products flyer, the parts replaced the 3 Remmy parts with 2 parts, any one experience with these?
My thinking is that the standard Remington trigger is a well designed unit that unbfortunately is constrained by budgeting on materials. If the actual trigger lever was made of 1 piece hardened stainless tool steel as apposed to 1 piece or hardened steel sat on top/infront of the trigger lever then i could see the thing bieng greatly improved.
Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.