Jewell Trigger Failure...went to Trigger

The failed Jewell on my rifle was visibly clean when we removed the stock. My smith cleaned it with lighter fluid & trigger was still malfunctioning. Rather than send it back for repairs I personally would never trust it again & didn't want to wait for that process. The guys at RedHawkRifles sent my TT in 3 days & my 260rem was back to normal
You want to sell that Jewell trigger real cheap?

What can you guys tell me about this "research" from Mark Gordon? My guess this is a Jewell trigger?

I don't know what trigger Mark was referencing but I can say that I have done that exact test with a Jewell. It takes a considerable amount of force to make the top sear fall on one of them. I have read various comments about lock time. If there is a reliable way to measure lock time, I believe the force it takes to collapse the top sear on a Jewell will increase it.

I've owned several rifles over the years with Jewel triggers, and have shot several more that belonged to other people that had Jewels installed. I always loved the way they feel and still do. The last few years a friend that builds rifles has started using Trigger Techs. I've shot a few of these rifles and developed loads for a couple of them. I like the feel of the Trigger Tech better. Practically zero creep and they break so nicely. Had a Timney freeze one time, but never any trouble from the Jewels.

I probably have 25 Jewell triggers and the only issues I've had are when the sear engagement is set too light. That plus dust and dirt will cause a failure to cock. I bet I haven't ever cleaned more than 5 or 6 of them and most get hunted with in dusty conditions. I set them with a touch more engagement and never have issues.

I probably have 25 Jewell triggers and the only issues I've had are when the sear engagement is set too light. That plus dust and dirt will cause a failure to cock. I bet I haven't ever cleaned more than 5 or 6 of them and most get hunted with in dusty conditions. I set them with a touch more engagement and never have issues.

This for sure. I have at least a dozen R700 rifles with Jewells and they see hunting duty every year. I am also guilty of not cleaning my guns like i probably should during hunting season and I've seen zero failures.

I have seen them with the sear engagement set to light cause issues as mention in this post.

Last edited:
I haven't had that problem, but I do use Jewell triggers. Changing out other triggers to Jewell trigger as I go. I have blown a few primers over the years. Hate it when that happens, but a lot more cautious working up a loads. Never had a problem with triggers after that had happen. Knowing what to do to start with if that happen to clean up a problem is a good thing. Thanks for the info.
SSS
Mike

I've had several jewel triggers fail. A couple of times it was during two day PRS competitions which is a bummer. Each time the lower sear shoe broke. The failure was caused by debris getting into the trigger. It renders the trigger inoperable. Jewel has been really good about sending me the part. Customer service is good. I have since changed all my triggers to Triggertech diamond. They feel like jewel but are sealed against debris.

It's the 1-Year Warranty...he repairs his Jewell and it goes-our again in 366 days...? Then he pays again(?)

His comment suggests that he will distrust the Jewell whether repaired under warranty or his dime. Reading this thread makes it apparent that the Jewells and TTs have 2 things in common. Some swear by them and some swear at them.

His comment suggests that he will distrust the Jewell whether repaired under warranty or his dime. Reading this thread makes it apparent that the Jewells and TTs have 2 things in common. Some swear by them and some swear at them.
You literally just proved my point. Thank you for that

Its probably legitimate. Top tier benchrest shooters have claimed for years now that the jewels ignition is not as consistent as the bix and andy. How this translates over to results on target, who knows. I know the guys that have tested it, the jewel's deviations in firing pin force were tiny. Very small, but the B&A was better every time.

I wouldnt assume the mfg of the trigger in the video is a jewel or any other mfg. I can tell you there are quite a few out there much worse than the jewel. Pretty much any trigger based off the Rem 700 design. Which is more than likely what type of trigger is dragging on the cocking piece in the video.
I personally saw a Bix and Andy AND a Jewell fail on the firing line at a PRS match in February. The B/A failed completely and had been installed just before the match - we were on the fourth stage. It was replaced and shooter was able to continue. The Jewell was light-striking here and there for a couple stages - which the shooter first thought may be his reloads (bad primers). Finally the trigger failed to ignite any round and he forfeited a stage. No replacement was available, so he borrowed another rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.