JD338.....280 AI

Dan B

I have a .280AI built very similar to yours...same barrel length and taper. My best load uses 58gr RL-22 w/ 168gr SMK. It averages an even 2900fps w/ a SD of 5 over my Oehler 35. At 300 yards I can consistently shoot sub 2" groups. I'm no BR shooter...so in the hands of someone better at reading conditions it could do better.

I've gotten 139gr Hornady Interlocks to 3150fps using 62gr RL-22 and decent accuracy. For giggles I loaded 100gr Hornady HP's over IMR4350...got to 61gr at 3420fps with great accuracy.

Dan,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you too have a great shooter. RL22 seems to be the perfered powder in the 280 AI.
I am getting great accuracy with the 160 gr AB's.
I am going to try RL19 with the 140 gr AB's to see if I can get better accuracy.
I am also planning on getting a 4.5x14 LR scope and this will help in checking accuracy levels. I am currently using a VXIII 2.5x8.

Regards,

JD338

JD338, I had a 280AI, and the best powder is no longer made. Try and find some H450 at a gun show. It not only goes fast, but was an EXTREME powder. Sd were 1 or 2!!. I thought my Oehler was broke when extreme spreads with 175 Remington bullets at 3,000 fps were 2 or 3! Left the rifle and ammo outside in the cold overnight and first shot was within 5 fps of its warm daytime velocity. Good luch finding any powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

wapiti13,

What do you mean "had a 280 AI"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

What is the scoop on H450? was it discountinued?
Sounds like a very good powder for the 280AI.

Regards,

JD338

JD338, I'm a gun junky. Rebuilt my 280AI to a 338/06 AI since I was mad at elk. Great rifle before I traded it off to my best hunting buddy! Anyway, H450 was discontinued a couple years ago. It still shows up in manuals, etc., but Hodgdon doesn't make it anymore. I still see it at gun shows and gun shops. It can be found, but you need to look around. Good luck finding some. You won't be sorry if you find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a couple of pounds of H450 that I got for a 264 win mag. I have tried this powder in several different calibers (not 280 AI) and my groups were CRAP in all that I tried. I'm talking 2.5 to 3" groups for guns that usually shoot 1". On the cannister it says made to US military specifications and is a spherical ball powder. What did the military use it in? I think I'll take it to the next gun show and sell it. I'm glad that someone has had good luck with this powder.

I shot a buck with it about two years ago and not shot it since. Took it to the range on Sunday...shooting prone from a Harris w/ no rear bag it was doing very well. My club range has steel gongs hung from chains out to 500 yards. The 500yd gong has about 2' of extra chain hanging vertically off to the side...with a 300yd zero I can aim just above where the chain is attached to the horizontal pole and hit the bottom link of the chain. I was able to connect on the extra dangling chain on 2 of 3 attempts.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.