J P Sauer 100 classic XT rifle

Old Rooster, have a look at the Guns and Ammo review below, there is some great info about the Sauer 100 in there.
https://www.gunsandammo.com/editori...-refinement-affordability-and-accuracy/247599

I have played with a few and they are a very well made rifle and as you say they are very smooth.
Sauer have always been known for their smooth actions with the Sauer/Colt 90 possibly being the smoothest bolt action ever made. My wife and I own three Sauer 202 rifles and they are all sub 1/2" 5 shot at 100m performers. Their hammer forged barrels are very accurate. I hope that helped.

Thanks Kiwikid,I enjoyed the article.
Have you ever had a barrel problem?
The barrel pressed into the receiver concerns me.
I bet only the maker could fix a barrel problem but with a 10 year warranty it really would not be a problem I guess.
The warranty even covers accuracy problems within that 10 year so if I wear a barrel out it should be covered.
Thanks again for the reply.

Old Rooster, one of the reasons I linked that review is because they explain how the barrel is fitted. It is actually screwed in not pressed. In the review scroll down to "The Sauer 100 steps away from........"
and you will see what I mean. I have confirmed this with a Sauer Company rep at a recent gun show.
When Sauer introduced the 101 which does have the heat shrunk pressed barrel I thought it was not the best idea.

Its funny how you can read something and miss the most important part!
I re-read it and saw it was indeed screwed in.Thanks
I will look closer at that rifle as one fellow at our range bought one for his wife and was so accurate he was looking at buying another for himself.
They were on sale for 599.97 and he bought the last one in the caliber I wanted so I'll wait.
Thanks again Kiwikid

Does anyone know what the magazine lengths are like for this rifle? Does it happen to have similar issues to Tikka's where the max COAL is severely limited by the magazine length?

Does anyone know what the magazine lengths are like for this rifle? Does it happen to have similar issues to Tikka's where the max COAL is severely limited by the magazine length?
I have this rifle in 6.5 prc and factory 147 eldm fit in the magazine just fine. The rear of the magazine is about 3/8" thick so I assume that it's not as thick for longer cartridges.

I think my reservation would be the pressed in barrel. If you ever wanted to rebarrel or change caliber not many smiths will touch a press fit...and it will cost you if they do.

John if you go back to post number 2 there is a link to a Guns and Ammo review in which they explain how the barrel is threaded into the receiver. Only the Sauer 101 has the heat shrunk/pressed in barrel.

I think my reservation would be the pressed in barrel. If you ever wanted to rebarrel or change caliber not many smiths will touch a press fit...and it will cost you if they do.
Mine is certainly threaded I can see the threads in the front screw hole for the scope base. Mine shoots factory 147 eldm ammo under 1/2" several groups in the.3's. It has the best trigger I've ever shot.

I found a blued .30-06 classic xt on sale for $600, so even though I've got a Tikka .30-06 I'm really considering getting it after reading about Sauer rifles. I previously knew nothing about them, but just happened to see a post on one and now I'm intrigued!

I wanted to be able to use the longer 180gr bullets in my tikka, but with the long throat and short mag, I don't know if I'll be able to seat the bullets as far out as I want (haven't tried yet).

Does anyone have one of these Sauer 100 rifles in a similar caliber?

I'll agree with the previous positive statements and say the bolts in these (60* throw) are great and the trigger is awesome too. Down fall for me is the lack of aftermarket goodies. Grind to fit Limbsaver, and modified forend for Picatinny rail on mine. So far nothing just 'bolts on'. Internal magazine lengths vary with calibers, and the flush mount double stack is great. I think you will be limited at some point by OAL with these magazines, if your running long bullets (check twist rates). They are polymer so some modifications might get that little extra length needed. All and all I like mine and I'd buy another.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.