It's a 308 thread...stompers don't click

Sabot11

I'lb heading to colorado in Octobr to hunt the 2nd rifle for Elk, and possible mule deer. i curently own a 270 that I get mixed groups with....some 2" some 1.5" at 100. Godd enough for a texas 200 yard shot.

I also have a 308 in tactical configuration that is heavy, but my seeet 308 just shoots likghts out. I am one with te 308. It's rounds are an extension og my will. My scope dials up each distance seting with ease. I am 100% confident I could put some lead dee inot a deer ar maybe elk. Having supreme confidence in the gun and bullet, why would't I take that 300-500 yard shot on a bull or buck...........?????????

goof grifrg it'd hstf to type om zAmbien,

I have a semi custom cz 550 in 308 that absolutley shoots the lights out and I have had zero issues with deer and elk at variuos distances.

A few of my friends rib me a little about it being heavy, but after shooting it they understand that extra weight equates into some serious accuracy. Out to 600 yards nothing is safe:D

Jordan

why wouldn't I take that 300-500 yard shot on a bull or buck...........?????????
I have a 308, one of my best shooting guns. I do most of my practice with it, even used it once for a 1000 yrd paper punching match. But if I decided to take that gun elk hunting at ranges up to the 500+ mark, I would hope my hunting friends would kick me square in the head and leave me in the truck. I'm confident I could make a good shot on an elk at that range, I'm just not sure how far the thing may go afterward before tipping over....it could be all the way to the top or bottom of the mountain, usually in a direction that is the worse for recovery, and much more work for my hunting friends. I couldn't buy them enough beer for dragging an elk that died in a terrible terrain.

If you have an option for a more energy producing caliber, with acceptable accuracy for those ranges, use that gun if you can. Put the elk down where you want it to be. I don't think most hunters would be shooting an animal where they did not want it to be in their final resting place. If you don't have that option, I would be much more cautious about recovery.

I would shoot a deer with my 308, would, but again probably would not with more powerful options available.

Sorry for the goofy typing last night. I was having difficulty going to sleep and took an Ambien before sitting down at my desk. Neeless to say, about halfway through the post, the Ambien began typing.

My point is that I am suprememly confident in my ability to hit targets out to 500 yards with my 308. I know that there is controversy over the effectiveness of the 308 as an elk round that far out, but I am weighing hunting with it versus a 270 that is still unproven to me. While I will be hunting in an area where 500 yard shots are possible, I highly doubt I'll actually take one that far. A more likely scenario is 300 or less. I'll be using hand loaded Hornady SSTs in the 308.

Sorry for the goofy typing last night. I was having difficulty going to sleep and took an Ambien before sitting down at my desk. Neeless to say, about halfway through the post, the Ambien began typing.

My point is that I am suprememly confident in my ability to hit targets out to 500 yards with my 308. I know that there is controversy over the effectiveness of the 308 as an elk round that far out, but I am weighing hunting with it versus a 270 that is still unproven to me. While I will be hunting in an area where 500 yard shots are possible, I highly doubt I'll actually take one that far. A more likely scenario is 300 or less. I'll be using hand loaded Hornady SSTs in the 308.

Well you slightly better this morning. LOL .308 at 500yds on a Elk of course it would work just fine. I definitley would not use SST's on elk. I would go with a better/stronger constructed bullet of at least 180gr in a .308. You need weight and penetration as you overall energy will be lower.

.308 will do you fine. Id sure get that 270 whipped into shape and shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yds....and personally Id take BOTH rifles to the elk hunt

"I am one with my .308. Its rounds are an extension of my will. My scope dials the settings with ease."

Hahahaha...I don't think I will ever have a smooth trigger pull ever again while I say that quote in my mind as I pull the trigger and laugh.

"I am one with my .308. Its rounds are an extension of my will. My scope dials the settings with ease."

Hahahaha...I don't think I will ever have a smooth trigger pull ever again while I say that quote in my mind as I pull the trigger and laugh.

Dear lord that quote is everything that I am trying not to be in real life and on the net! The only reason I'm leaving it up is so you guys can laugh and learn to NEVER POST ON AMBIEN! What a D-bag statement!

The back story is that I coach my daughter's soccer team and we lost a heart breaker last night. I'm always wired after games and was laying in the bed staring at the ceiling, so I crept to the bathroom so as not to disturb the gracefully sleeping wife, popped an Ambien and headed to the office to catch up on email and wait for the magic. Here's what I meant to say:

"I really like my 308 and have shot it alot. It is a very accurate gun and missing would be the last thought in my mind if hunting with it."

The down side to said 308 is that it is heavy (11.5 lbs) and set up for long range shooting and not hunting with a Mark 4 8.5-25.

Yep, definently humorous! Depending on bullet selection you will have between 13 and 1600 ftlbs of energy remaining at 500yrds, which is fine, but velocity starts to fall off quick. Someone made a statement about using heavy constructed bullets, this is not a good idea at those impact velocities, as the bullet may not have enough speed to properly expand. I'd steer clear of interbonds, interlocks, accubonds, barnes, and partitions. If I were using it for elk at that distance my top 3 choices would be the 168grn nosler BT, 185 berger hunting vld, and the 178 a-max. The 178 amax would be my first pick.

Well you slightly better this morning. LOL .308 at 500yds on a Elk of course it would work just fine. I definitley would not use SST's on elk. I would go with a better/stronger constructed bullet of at least 180gr in a .308. You need weight and penetration as you overall energy will be lower.

You should be able to get the GMX to swap out the SSTs and use same load????? I use the GMX 185 Superformance in my 338WM and she loves them......almost as good as a Barnes MRX...lol.
Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.