It’s finally hot enough…….

Well, that's just some of my big guns, also have 375H&H, 458WM, 458 Lott, 404 Jeffrey, 585 Nyati and 600 Nitro.
I had full rotator cuff surgery in 2012, no shooting for over 12 months, but with all the rehab, it was better than before and still gets sore, but not from shooting.

Cheers.

OK……now you're "rubbing it in"! 😁 memtb

OK……now you're "rubbing it in"! 😁 memtb
Nah, just showing my interest in the big stuff. Have been enamoured with big guns since I was given the chance at 12 to shoot an original John Rigby made Mauser '98 with fully notched front ring using original Kynoch 400g SP's. I was shaking holding it and held my breath and squeezed, was surprised with how little the recoil actually was, and was told by my great uncle it was due to the cordite powder being used. No round made today looks anything like it either, had a much larger in diameter primer and the bullet wasn't really roll crimped, it had stippling type impressions in 3 spots on the neck and honestly looked weird. My great Uncle Reg shot dangerous game in both India and Africa just before WWII. Unfortunately, when he died, we never found out what became of that rifle, we knew it was very special and collectible…

Cheers.

@memtb
According to your calculator my rifle is at 54 ft/lb. That is my max.

That's pretty healthy recoil….not something you want to "enjoy" from the bench for more than 20 or 30 rounds at a single sitting! Recoil velocity and impulse also play into "felt recoil" ! And…..the older ya get…..the less you will probably "enjoy" it! 😁

15 or so years ago, 20+ at a sitting was doable without affecting groups…..but,the shoulder was pretty tender the next day!

Now, I use a PAST recoil shield, but I don't know what my limit is…..I'm blaming less shooting on component prices and availability! 😂 memtb

I can't WAIT until temps drop back down to 94°! Been shooting from 104-116° the last 6 weeks.

Yep …..I watch the news and see that you folks have been suffering through a lot the past month or so! Even with a large umbrella over my bench it's a might toasty!

Of course , that hot weather may be forgotten when y'all are wearing light long sleeves….and we're @ - 30 F or cooler! 🤔😉😁 memtb

Some people say "It's the humidity that really gets you". However, I'm not sure humidity can exist at 116 degrees. I experienced 120 one time in India. No humidity, but it was miserable.
This was 2 weeks ago in Phoenix.

11:00am when I left the range.
20230715_100525.jpg

About 3:00pm when we ran out to grab some food.
20230715_133059.jpg

Do you guys just leave vehicles idling with A/C on in those conditions?

I ask because that's what we do up here when it's -40! (heaters on instead of A/C, obviously)

We had 100f here on Monday and that was enough for me.

Toward the evening I was working on an Oxygen Concentrator that couldn't take the heat. Inside the shed was 120F, and after 2h of that I was done. Shut her down and called it quits.

too hot.jpg

Last edited:
The results of today's first shoot! Temps in low '90's, winds of 10 to 18 mph diagonally across the shooting lane!

There is one thing that puzzles me though…..yesterday showed a very low shot velocity deviation, and today virtually non-existent 3 fps from high to low! Also, as with previous shot strings…..only a small increase in velocity with the powder weight gain, though only 1 grain increase! Maybe the heat is affecting to chrono! 🤔😞

The target photo is yesterday's group circled in blue…..today's group is circled in red. The groups are nearly superimposed over each other. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the groups….but, not the velocities! memtb

1690407662816.jpeg