It’s finally hot enough…….

OK, I'll stop "beating around the bush" as I thought that my "not so" subtle hints might have enticed some of you to comment on my "lack of" velocity gains!

Should I expect more velocity gains with only 1 grain increase in powder charge….I'm working with charges right at 90 grains! I know not to expect linear gains……but, any guesses as what I should expect? memtb

OK, I'll stop "beating around the bush" as I thought that my "not so" subtle hints might have enticed some of you to comment on my "lack of" velocity gains!

Should I expect more velocity gains with only 1 grain increase in powder charge….I'm working with charges right at 90 grains! I know not to expect linear gains……but, any guesses as what I should expect? memtb
A+ results accuracy wise from 72 or 73 grains of Reloader 15, used with Sierra's #2950 which is a 250grain SBT, Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H. Thinking it was an old Ken Waters favorite load, can't remember but, good stuff.Also later years with Nosler's 260gr Accubond very similar results. Can't believe Reloader 15 would of ever become hard to find.

A+ results accuracy wise from 72 or 73 grains of Reloader 15, used with Sierra's #2950 which is a 250grain SBT, Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H. Thinking it was an old Ken Waters favorite load, can't remember but, good stuff.Also later years with Nosler's 260gr Accubond very similar results. Can't believe Reloader 15 would of ever become hard to find.

Four Leaf Clovers aren't easy to find….but, it's worth it when ya do! 😉 memtb

@memtb
According to your calculator my rifle is at 54 ft/lb. That is my max.

cape cove, Our conversation got me to wondering where I'm at on recoil from the bench with the load I'm presently working on!

Obviously, the recoil will be a little less with the sling and rifle fully loaded …..which puts me @ 9 pounds 1 ounce in hunting trim! memtb

1690470625736.png

I may be there!

Just shot another 3 shot group! The group is a bit larger than the last and I "may" be getting some increased bolt lift! ☹️ The group may be me, I've been pretty consistent with good groups…..I'm overdue to screw one up! 😉

The "almost" good news is that last grain increase jumped my velocity about 50 fps…. About 25 more than was my target!

I'll stick 1 more grain in, see if the group continues to be bad and observe bolt lift very carefully! memtb

Well…the test is complete, and this will likely be the last post on the test!

Day before yesterday I suspected that I was very near high pressure. I thought that the bolt lift was a little stiffer, and the group opened a little…..which could've been me.

I upper the charge another grain, and we're there. Bolt lift was definitely a little harder, and I started seeing ejector marks on the bolt. Though the group wasn't bad, 2 virtually in the same hole, and a 3rd. opened the group to about 3/4".

However, in fairness to the load…..there was only enough time between the shots to read the chronograph, write down the result, and acquire the target and shoot. We started out pretty warm…..and running 3 downrange pretty fast probably didn't help the group any!

The best group @ 1/2" also had the lowest velocity deviation, it was only 3 fps difference between the high and low velocities.

I suspect that a real rifleman, that allowed time for the barrel to cool….could tighten the group a bit!

Other than the velocity being a little lower than my goal, for a 8 pound 15 ounce (as fired from the bench), no brake, 3 fairly rapid shots fired, with a 270 grain bullet just shy of 3000 mv…..I'm pretty darn happy with my hunting rifle! memtb

I tested some factory norma match in the sun the other day and 15 min sitting out while I shot increased velocity 70fps

Don't worry about that barrel they work fine hot :p

59 ft lbs, whew

I tested some factory norma match in the sun the other day and 15 min sitting out while I shot increased velocity 70fps

Don't worry about that barrel they work fine hot :p

59 ft lbs, whew

I didn't actually leave it in the sun…..no telling how hot it might have gotten! Just left the rifle and ammo on the covered porch as to reach ambient!

It does seem to be OK when a little warm!

And about the recoil….it does jump a little! 😁

How hot do you think the ammo actually was when left in direct sun? memtb

I didn't actually leave it in the sun…..no telling how hot it might have gotten! Just left the rifle and ammo on the covered porch as to reach ambient!

It does seem to be OK when a little warm!

And about the recoil….it does jump a little! 😁

How hot do you think the ammo actually was when left in direct sun? memtb
It would be a guess really , it was 92 ambient but they were warm to the touch for sure