is tikka t3 varmint .300 wm to much for deer in south australia

tiger1234

Hi lrh people bought .223 and .308 12 months ago done a bit of target shooting with .223 and .308 best was 1/2 inch at 300 metres with .308 . just bought tikka t3 varmint in .300 wm for hunting deer in south australia want to know best factory ammo in 180gr for up to 600 metres +

Not too familiar with South Australian deer. But, if they're similar to the deer in the U.S., it's my understanding, you're looking for a minimum of 700 ft/lbs of energy upon impact to kill the deer.

Factory loads are typically designed for the upper end of the velocity for the specific caliber. For 180 gr loads, you're looking at nearly 3,000 fps muzzle velocity. According to JBM, a 180 gr projectile will bleed off enough of it's energy to deliver 1,435 ft/lbs of energy having crossed 600 yards, twice as much required to drop your deer.

If you were to reload, and chose 180 gr projectiles, you could charge them at the lowest and deliver 927 ft/lbs after firing 600 yards...far more acceptable if you want the meat.

I've heard of stories of hunters shooting deer with 300 WinMags and blew the haunches clean off the animal. The 300 Winny is capable of taking all North American big game. This includes moose, Kodiak and polar bear. Imagine what it'll do to deer!

BTW...for sh*tz and giggles, the boat tail has no effect on terminal ballistics...only exterior ballistics (helps with accuracy).

Good luck.

A 300 win mag is one of the finest long range hunting cartridges available IMHO. Plenty of energy to anchor animals at long ranges with a properly placed shot. Overkill is a very overused word. However Underkill is a very underused word.

You can't kill it too dead but you can **** sure kill it not dead enough.

Backyardsniper,
I agree with everything you said 100%. True, there are far too many individuals who don't take the moral consideration to learn the dynamics of what they choose to hunt with. And, you're right, the 300 WM is one of the finest long range hunting rifles available to the hunting public. I own one myself and have quickly learned just how powerful that caliber is.

However, the OP's question was: is the .300 WM too much for deer... and he asked for the best factory loads in 180 gr. Of course, the 180 gr 300 WM will kill the deer...dead as a doornail and quite spectacular I might add. A 20 megaton thermonuclear warhead would certainly kill a deer as well. :) What I was stating (and I used JBM Ballistics for a reference) was that, if he wanted to eat the deer, he should consider a lighter load that would still certainly kill the deer. With a little research, he could find a load (factory even... maybe a lesser grain) of less energy at that distance, kill the deer with certainty, yet not blow a good portion of that precious meat across the countryside to feed the dingos.

Quite true Mr. Trang. I believe if i were in this guys shoes i would go with the 300 win mag with the 165 gr factory load and try to stick with double lung shots, although that is easier said than done. Often in the hunting world you take the shot you got. Shoulders arent the best eating anyway:D

Yes, lung shots are the 'optimal' target to aim for. We have to remember one thing, pulling groups at leisure, with a calm wind, a steady body position and time on your side at 300 yards is a wee-bit easier than succesfully placing a well aimed shot at a far distant animal (who can unexpectedly turn or bolt) at 600+. I only hope our friend is up to the task.

In my opinion the .300wsm is overkill for any deer under 400 pounds. Overkill being defined as just not necessary to properly get the job done.

I've seen guys have the times of their lives shooting antelope with .325wsm, so there's nothing wrong with being severely over-gunned if that's your thing and you're convinced you need it. Just realize that in reality, you don't.

thanks for all answers. I have just received 200 rounds of hornady superformance in 180 gr is this accurate and any good for deer sized animals
out to 600 meters

Yes, lung shots are the 'optimal' target to aim for. We have to remember one thing, pulling groups at leisure, with a calm wind, a steady body position and time on your side at 300 yards is a wee-bit easier than succesfully placing a well aimed shot at a far distant animal (who can unexpectedly turn or bolt) at 600+. I only hope our friend is up to the task.

all I can hope is I am up to it but never know because all I have ever done is
shoot at pistol ranges and rifle ranges

I have never used the superformance personally, I hand load all my stuff. I can tell yo uI use berger and hornady bullets in my reloading and all of the hornady products i have dealt with have been superb. You can rest assured any 180gr projectile leaving the barrel at 3100fps + will be sufficient to kill deer sized game or most any other game for that matter. Just remember give the deer time to give you a good shot If yo udon't like it don't take it. A pass on a deer is always better than a miss or a crippled deer. However if yo ucan hit the targets at the range at that distance you cna hit a deer at that distance nothing magical about them just don't rush and take the shot of your choosinggun)

Tiger1234,
Backyardsniper gave you good and sound advice. Hornady happens to be my favorite and its what I reload with. If you want info regarding their products check out their website. Sorry, not to good with links so just Google or go to Hornady.com.

I would also suggest checking out JBMballistics.com. They have ballistic calculators (as does Hornady) that can tell you how your paticular bullet will behave. Mind you now, ballistic charts are a guideline and are never exact due to the fact that all rifles perform differently and there are atmospheric factors involved which will likely alter the actual performance.
But, checking out these sites will give you a much better understanding what you can expect from your rounds.

As far as my comment about hoping you're up for the task...what I was getting at was most bullets are 'flat trajectory' up to a certain distance. Once crossing that distance the drop rate increases dramatically and that drop gets steeper the further the bullet travels. An example of this is...let's say you are targeting an object at 1,010 yards/meters and you mistakenly range it at 1,000 clean. Your bullet will likely fall 3 feet low with only a ten yard range miscalculation.
Yes, according to your 1/2" 300 yard group with your .308, obviously you are more than a competent shooter. The risk is not being totally familiar with how your ammo will perform at specific ranges as there are numerous variables to consider. That is why I suggested to do a bit of research on ballistics for your round and some practice range time would be most beneficial to you as well.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.