Red Stag in south Australia at 484 yards

jsurfdog

I just took a red stag at 484 yards in Water Valley, South Australia. Using a 300 Weatherby Mag, Obermeyer 27" barrel with 13 twist, 168 grain Tipped Triple Shocks, Swarovski Z5 5-25. The Swarovski was a big disappointment. the turret adjustments seemed random, i.e. clicks did not correspond to 1/4" per 100 yards. Typically I saw about 1/2" per click, although it was not entirely consistent. after much mucking about, and wasting over half my ammo trying to confirm clicks, I set it for 3.6" high at 100 yards and left it there. so much for a ballistic turret. Anyone else have a Swarovski Z5 with turret problems?
Anyway, crept up on a nice herd of stags sitting in the middle of a paddock, couldn't get any closer. I used the Ballistic AE program prior to going in field to develop drop chart - since my ballistic turret was not functional, held 10" over target and squeezed. The stag dropped like a stone. I miscalculated wind a bit, held for too much wind, got it in the neck instead of chest (it was laying down with head up looking in my direction).
I was a bit concerned about the twist rate in the barrel. It will not stabilize my previously favorite load, 180 grain Barnes Tipped TSX. However, the 168s group about 0.5-0.6 MOA all the way out to 600 yards. Additionally, the 168s deliver more downrange velocity and energy than the 180s (I get the 168s coming out at 3400 fps, the 180s at 3200.)
BTW, I shot a box with the Z5 and compared it to an old Sightron S11 ($200 vs. $1650 for Swaro). The Sightron was spot on with the same ammo as the Swaro.

nice work on the trophy, im from south aus also. Havnt long ranged a deer as yet but knocked a few goats off at range with my 7mm. Thats a bit of bummer about the scope i would of thought it would of been a1 for the price. Warranty job maybe?

Scope is back with Swarovski. Waiting to see what they say. meanwhile using Sightron 10-50x60 illuminated Slll at range. Love the Sightron. I also have a 3x15x40 Sll ($200 a few years back), an 8-32x50 Slll. IMO nothing else comes close to Sightron for value, very little comes close to Sightron for performance. By performance I mean optical quality, mechanical exactitude of windage and elevation turrets, and overall bulletproof reliability.

good to know about the sightron, my smaller gun may need a scope upgrade ive got leupold vx1 on it now basic 9X but needs more power like 12. I run a nightforce NXS 3.5-15 56 on my 7mm and love it. easy to adjust turret for hunting ive found.got the g7 chart taped to stock.

The nightforce is a nice scope, I have the same on a rifle in the US - 3.5x15x56. I bought the Swaro cause it had the ballistic turret and zero stop, and was about $500 less than the equivalent Nightforce. For the record, I had to send my Nightforce back when it lost zero - factory said they had used a defective glue on lens, repaired it no charge no question. Just saying, even the best scopes occasionally break.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts