Is this case ok?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Got this ring on my cases (once fired, shoulder bumped .002) after bumping the shoulders...is this just compressing down where the case headspace off the belt?

Nothing to worry about? Same brass with 3 firings and no shoulder bump doesnt have it...
1568750536629263360922943838691.jpg

Assuming that brass is fine though? Wasnt sure if that was a bad sign

Assuming that brass is fine though? Wasnt sure if that was a bad sign
Give us a more pics, top down and level with the belt. Are you rolling brass? If the plating of the brass looks cracked, I wouldn't shoot it.

You were vague in the op, is this the first time for FL sizing? Like above poster alluded to, chamber could be big in dia, or the die undersized slightly.

Redding comp dies, this brass is fire formed (once at 77.5 gr) and first time body sizing...using body die to bump shoulders .002 and checking with a RCBS prec mic they arent bumped further. Was not there prior to running through the body die.

Brass does not appear cracked in any way, it could be the luster rubbing off from the steel tumbling with lemi-shine...looks like the finish rubbed off is the best way I can describe it...unable to feel any bump inside or out.
15687516270508016272304644713889.jpg
15687516495868324448371547705991.jpg
15687516849548749155471825433641.jpg

Only problem I've ever had like that was the lube I used wasn't good and when I full length resized the case it was real aggressive. I've switch to imperial wax by Redding and ain't looked back when I started using that.

Also those case(although old) I had a few case head separations that started at that junction point. Didn't trust those case so I trashed all those pieces of brass.

I'm using the redding lube, maybe just need to ensure I get that part better. Been holding it by the belt as I wipe a small bit of lube on and turn it in my fingers.

Belted Magnums
When the case head clearance is set by the shoulder, the part in front of the belt, towards the case mouth, becomes unsupported. But depends on the belt/chamber headspace if its a problem.

If you guys figure it please let me know. I have about 100+ .338/378 brass casings that I have sidelined that have similar markings after two sizings.

I just tumbled them again..
Marks gone...its gotta be a rubbing issue in the bottom of the die and that's just where the case is the fattest....more lube there, must have been skipping that area.

I would have no problem running them. I have 8-10 loadings on some of my 7RM brass, and still going strong. Some of them looked just like this.

With the "77.5gr" load, I am assuming .300WM? Depending on what powder and bullet, should be a fairly hot load?

I would have no problem running them. I have 8-10 loadings on some of my 7RM brass, and still going strong.

With the "77.5gr" load, I am assuming .300WM? Depending on what powder and bullet, should be a fairly hot load?

Flattening primers at 78.5, yes 300wm. Berger 215s.

Primers look good on these, never a sticky bolt. It's the high node, but not terrible I dont think.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.