Is the 6.5 creedmoor the new 30/30?

1696679711313.png

Attachments

• 307566B4-9B84-4C93-84C5-948A9143E461.jpg
    307566B4-9B84-4C93-84C5-948A9143E461.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 75
Imagine how popular the 6.5CM would be if there weren't so many guys who directly attach their masculinity to their hate for it!

It's a decent cartridge that has brought modern cartridge design/high BC bullets to the masses. It was not the first to do so, but was the first to do it on a large scale. Now we have many additional modern cartridges to go chose from lining the shelves. With laser rangefinders and turret scopes also finding their way into the hands of a lot of shooters, we're progressing.

Then comes the "man bun" "needmoor" group. I don't think I've seen guys actively hate a cartridge, let alone link it to masculinity. I assume just because it's popular 🤷🏻‍♂️

The 30-30 will be around till God comes so will the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6mm and most 7mm the 308 will survive and the 30-06 will also and the 22 lr will out survive all of them. I had a matching pair of winchester 94 models 30-30 lever action and sold both of them and a stealth 300 win mag. to pay my land off when I got in a bind and I miss them very much. they where Ted Williams Editions.

@GrayCreed don't hate the haters.

I would say I'm not hating on the Creedmoor just the hype and the nonsense claims from people who literally make claims that it will put do any of the geriatric .30's. Yes, that was one response on a forum.

It started as a target round and with the right Projectiles and good shot placement it can probably kill just as well as comparable cartridges.

I don't have one and will probably have a .260 before a Creedmoor just to be defiant and buck the trend.

@buzby I don't think it's a masculinity thing thing but man buns are not for everyone.

The man bun craze and Creedmoor craze to me are trends . Some people like to be different, just like everyone else. In Australia it's seems that so many young adults and even their parents generation are getting tattoos, often multiples or large designs. It wasn't so common when I was a kid. Far less people had tattoos or at least visible tattoos.

The Creedmoor will likely stay around because it's so available now and loaded right in a fit for purpose rifle be it's probably suited to new shooters and young hunters but for my purposes a .308 is still a versatile round for Australia.

Here is the thing I have been a 6.5 guy going on 25 years 264 win mag . So I was going to go with the 260 rem when my kids started hunting. After using the 243 hitting double lung in tall crp grass luckily we where in high box blind we saw where he went there was not much of a blood trail till 80 yards only went 95yards so I wanted a heavier bullet but not to much more recoil. So when the creedmoor came out I went with it for the kids and women. I have put 7 of them together so far. I think I will do at least another 7

I'm fully with you @Raymond3 . Give the Grandkids something you can watch them shoot now...not something they have to wait to grow into. 2006 was a very good year for me...so I bought my 3 sons....300 Weatherby Mark Vs for Christmas that year...they were 16-14 and 8...didn't think that thru too well for the 8 year old! .. but he sure did like the fluted stainless barrel!

I have killed deer with probably a dozen guns from 6mm rem to30-30 to 30-06

The 6.5 creed is a very well designed cartridge and most factory guns shoot it very well. But it is still just a low/medium velocity very accurate 6.5. Plenty of kill power for hogs,deer,antelope and even cow elk if range is right. Yes, it will be popular for a long time

But when I needed to rebarrel my Ruger 77 in 257 roberts(long action) several gun smiths said keep it a Roberts No need to change to the creed! Now it is a 7 twist 20 inch barreled roberts. With the new heavy-high bc quarter bore bullets I could punch longer range targets. But now killing hogs and deer with 95 grain copper bullets. My wife will be getting a cow elk in a few weeks with it

Is the creed better-yes-and it will be around for many more years. But will game animals under 500 yards know the difference. No!!

My two cents...the 'older' crowd (before) CM, and really a lot more cartridges, learned to shoot with iron sights. Scopes were expensive, most never owned one. They learned to stalk and/or other means to get close to their quarry. This is how I was taught and how I taught my sons, on a Marlin 336 30-30. Though, started on 22lr. Drew a sight picture on a piece of paper, and explained how you moved it. I've seen their friends come to our range and shoot two boxes of cartridges sighting in or checking their rifle/scope combos. Get a 3" group at 100 yards and are happy with it. My youngest, at 18, bought his first rifle working part time. A Remington 700 nice Vortex combo in 6.5 Creedmoor. In two years he's 5 shots 5 deer. 2 in the neck because he said he likes deer meat and doesn't want to waste any. The recoil and range we shoot here, well it's a perfect cartridge for him. He's 6'3", 165 lbs.
I really don't understand the CM haters. If we lived out west maybe it would have been a 6.5 PRC.
One day, one of my grandkids will be gifted that Marlin 30-30, and even if I'm not around, I'm sure they'll still be taught that same sight picture. So yes, I believe in this family both cartridges will be around for awhile.

At this stage of my life, i am closely looking at all my guns to decide if I should keep them or not based on whether or not they are practical for grandchildren. (number 26 on the way)

26 grandchildren...holy crap. I bet that's getting expensive. Seriously, congratulations! Bet it's wild at Christmas.

I don't really care what anyone says about the CM. My dad won a factory class groundhog match with his. My sons has killed several deer only going 20-40yds after being hit properly if they went anywhere at all. I've shot the barrel out of a custom target shooting and steel smashing. It's a good cartridge. Not saying it's the best, but proving to be good.

What I don't like hearing are guys saying, "I bought a brand new 6.5CM and shot three deer and could never find it." Then they say, " So threw that garbage rifle back in the gun cabinet and got my…(pick an old cartridge of choice, usually 30-06), and the first deer I shot with that gun dropped in its tracks."

This tells me a few things about the shooter.
1. They are unfamiliar with the new rifle and don't know how to use it properly.
2. Using the wrong bullet for the wrong job in an unfamiliar cartridge.
3. Poor shot placement that usually works with a larger caliber carrying more energy to make up for the bad shot placement.

Both my kids practice quite a bit with there rifles before they go in the woods. I go over shot placement every time before we go to the field using pictures showing them where to aim. My sons rifle likes the Federal Accent. Great bullet giving great through and through penetration. My daughter shoots a 6.5 Swede with hand loads running 2295fps with 140 Sierra SPT BT. Another through and through with a perfect heart shot. We watched it pile up 15yrds from where she shot it.

Shot placement, practice, and the right ammo goes a long way.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.jpeg
    IMG_2660.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4717.jpeg
    IMG_4717.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 40
Fairly DUMB to compare something with TOTAL KILLS WHEN ONE HAS A HUNDRED AND TWENTY YEARS HEAD START..... don't you think!!!!
And let's not ever get started on what the 22LR has done...... that body count is terrifying on a number of levels.

I know old guys down in the Hill Country that are the reason we have hunting laws now..... "If God didn't want you to shoot deer at night, he wouldn't have made their eyes shine!" 🫣 Turns out a 22LR between the peepers hits pretty hard.

And let's not ever get started on what the 22LR has done...... that body count is terrifying on a number of levels.

I know old guys down in the Hill Country that are the reason we have hunting laws now..... "If God didn't want you to shoot deer at night, he wouldn't have made their eyes shine!" 🫣 Turns out a 22LR between the peepers hits pretty hard.
👍