Is my thinking correct..168 TSX

Why not shoot copper bullets after jacketed bullets?

The jacket material on a cup and core bullet is harder with approximately 5% zinc in the alloy.
I have read that a pure copper bullet like the barnes bullet will have a great deal of its material ''rubbed off'' the bullet if they are shot through a barrel that had previously fired jacketed bullets. The excess copper left in the bore contributes to fouling and might be severe enough to affect accuracy.

I swear I read it in one of Barnes loading books or on their website, but darned if I can find it now.

I found the simple solution many moons ago.... I DANZAC every bullet, bench rest or hunting...never had a single problem with copper ever since and that's one heck of a lot of bullets down many barrels. 20 years ago when the moly/danzac coating started I tried it, all I read was how dirty, holds water, it doesn't work this and that...but I kept using coatings and still do to this day.. I think coatings useage got a bad rap by people who never used them or really didn't know what they were talking about, they just wanted to look important type of deal...try danzac, if they even make it anymore.. I bought enough to last 5 lifetimes..surprising how little it takes..it will eliminate the copper fouling!

Hey guys thanks for the advice!

So what Im getting is that i really won't get the same performance if i want to get the best accuracy/velosity.

What i am seeing from your posts that the TSX would be better in 180 grain (to hold velocity better) and that they tend to pressure spike quicker.
Is that correct?

I wanted to learn more about DANZAC, apparently it is referred to as WS2 Bullet Coating, and other names these days. I watched this interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgAh14OT8c

Interesting Tip Frank in the Laurels!
I'm not big on coating bullets myself. What I do instead is coat my bore using "machine gunner's lube". It uses a special formulation of Molybdenum

Tactical Springs & Machine Gunners Lube

I guess if a guy wanted to he could coat bullets with it as well but it does an amazing job inside the barrel and unlike traditional Moly compounds used on bullets you leave this in the bore as a protectant.

When I clean one I run a dampened patch through with the MGL on it and then put it away. On days I'm planning to shoot one a lot I might even use it to swab it with occasionally.

The Barnes bullet will typically run a little higher in pressure than the Amax. So vel will generally be a bit less. They should run pretty close on poi out quite a ways, close enough for hunting.

Steve

Steve, I was under the impression that Barnes bullets would run at lower pressures than cup and core bullets, all else being equal, because of less bearing surface. Am I wrong?
Chuck.

I don't think you can say that Barnes bullets will run at lower pressures. True they do have relief cuts in the bearing surface area to lessen contact with the bore, but they are longer when compared to a cup and core bullet with their gilding metal jackets. Solid copper is less malleable than a bullet with a lead core, so perhaps the engraving that the lands impart to the outer area of the bullet may also add to pressure.

I have read that copper is not as slick as the gilding alloy jacket. Once read a hand loading article by a gun writer used the description ''sticky'' to describe copper bullets. We know they will foul more than jacketed bullets. Note that Barnes recommends that you seat the bullet .050'' from the lands. IMO this is to reduce pressure due to the nature of this solid copper bullet.

Now if you were shooting pure lead bullets I'd say THEY will run with lower pressures.

Steve, I was under the impression that Barnes bullets would run at lower pressures than cup and core bullets, all else being equal, because of less bearing surface. Am I wrong?
Chuck.

As a general rule mono's will run with more pressure. The bore rider or drive band type mono's will usually have a bit lower pressure than a conventional bullet. The Barnes is more typical in design but with some grooves to lessen pressure. Our Hammer Bullet design is a bit of a highbred in design compared to the other mono's. It is not truly a banded bullet but has much less bore contact than the grooved bullet. The pressure with Hammer Bullets has been pretty much the same as conventional cup and core. Maybe slightly less.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.