is this correct ?

zookman

measuring groups = measure the distance between each shot > 3shot group .20 +.27=.36=.83divided by 3 =.276 is the correct does the yardage effect this

Unless you are really getting down to the nitty gritty of match competition or something, I think most just measure from the middle of the two bullet holes that are the furthest apart and it's best to measure a five shot group. That is usually done on a 100 yard range and the term used for your group is normally called Minute of Angle (MOA). My three main rifles used out in Wyoming, for an example, all shoot to less than 3/4 MOA (3/4") at 100 yards and are zeroed for 200 yards.

You're making this a lot harder that it is, LOL! Measure the spread of the two furthest bullet holes from center to center in INCHES. 1" is 1 MOA meaured at 100 yards! If you are talking a measurement of .36 of a foot, then .36 x 12" = 4.32" at the 600 yard range you shot at!

It is normally done by measuring center to center of the two farthest bullet holes. This is somewhat inprecise but I remember back on the "xtremeaccuracy" forum someone invented a BR tool that measured C-t-C. Never saw one so not exactly sure how it works.
What I do is, using my digital calipers and magnifying glass, measure the outside edge of the marks left on the paper by the bullet for the two holes (farthest apart) and then subtract the caliber that I'm using. JohnnyK.

Are you just making posts or are you reading the responses that have been made? I can't make it any plainer than my last post, and now I have no friggin idea how you came up with "a little more than 1/2 MOA at 617 yards?" after I did the conversions for you!!!

johnnyk---What you just mentioned is really going to get him all screwed up, LOL, although I have heard a lot of guys do it that way too!

Last edited:
Okay, now I think I understand where you are coming from! If you want to go that route, you can divide your 4.32" group at 600 yards by 6 and you would get .72 MOA. If that makes ya happy, go with it!!! PS: I wish my tired old eyes could even see a target that far and even more so shoot groups like that!!! I can go out on animals with my tripod for consistent kills to about half of what you're talking about.

Shoot a group.
Find the 2 holes that are the farthest apart and measure center to center in inches.
If you shot the group at 617 yds, divide by 6.17.
That's basically your MOA spread for that group.

Shoot another group and do the same thing again to get the MOA extreme spread for that group.

Do it again several times and then average the MOA for all the groups.

You don't just average the distance for each consecutive shot fired.

If the numbers get too large, just ignore the ones you don't like and call them fliers. Or, make up an excuse about the wind or something. That's what a whole lot of people do.

If you shot a 3 shot group that was 1/2 MOA, then you shot one good group.

When you can consistently shoot 5 shot groups that average 1/2 MOA without ever having fliers, then you're developing consistency and confidence.

For the most part, you only have to please yourself. When you think you have something to prove, enter a competition.

Happy hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.