Is it still cool to shoot Barnes?

Takem406

I've had great luck with Barnes over the years! I've never had a deer take a step after being hit from my 308.
However it seems that Nosler and Berger are more popular especially with "long range" shooters. Is there still a Barnes following?
I understand Berger has a great reputation for accuracy and same with Nosler.
Just got a 7 Mag in a No. 1 and I'd like to load Barnes for elk.
Obviously it doesn't matter what everyone else does, just looking for input.

The reason for Berger and Noslers popularity in the long range hunting game is that they are able to deliver more energy into the animal and provide less wind drift at long range due to higher ballistic coefficients. The Barnes I'm sure would work fine, its all about knowing your rifle and where to dial and hold regardless of the bullet used.

That is what I've been seeing in comparing them. The other brands offer higher BC. Kind of thinking about the Accubond LR's. I can't wrap my head around shooting an animal with a bullets that is meant to fragment-Berger. Especially on elk. Though I'd like to try them in my 270 Weatherby for deer and lopers.

The more frangible bullets also expand at much lower velocities than monometal type bullets (such as Barnes), which is an important factor when considering long range applications.

Monometal bullets need speed to work properly, which can be a disadvantage as the range lengthens and velocity drops off. Even for bullets like the Bergers, it can sometimes be beneficial to anneal the tips to improve expansion characteristics for long range work.

Don't knock the Bergers till you try them. They work exceptionally well on game and have proved to me to be the most lethal hunting bullet made at either long or short range.

It's only cool to shoot Barnes if you live in a lead-free state or anywhere else that Berger bullets are not allowed. :D:D:D

Seriously though, it's not about what's "cool". If your rifle likes Barnes, and you have had excellent luck with them...Go for it. I shoot Berger because I have had nothing but positive experiences with them, and they are insanely accurate and are designed to release big energy into thin-skinned game. And being that I mostly hunt whitetail deer, and I shoot them in the lungs, and not in the shoulders, then Bergers are the best option for me.

I have shot SGK's, all types of Hornady bullets, Accubonds, Noslers, Barnes, Swift Siroccos, Core-Lokt, you name it... And from my own personal experiences, I have concluded that FOR ME, at the end of the day, I have no complaints about my Berger experiences, so I will stick with them.

I shoot Barnes TTSX in my rifles that I hunt with from short out to medium range.

I shoot Accubonds in my rifles where I will shoot at animals near and far, in my experience they are the most versatile.

I shoot Berger's where I know it's very unlikely to shoot something up close.

All 3 of those bullets shoot extremely well out of all my rifles.

So far the longest shot I have ever taken at an animal is 630 yards with a TTSX. 1 shot DRT. Quartering shot that hit the leading shoulder hard, passed through the heart/lungs and completely passed through diagonally a very large bodied 330 class bull.

But if you only shoot at the lunges and avoid the shoulder, like MudRunner mentioned, the Bergers are devastating. Once velocity drops, the Barnes bullets will not come close to the tissue damage through the lungs compared to a Berger or an Accubond.

There are tradeoffs with every bullet, and we all have to choose the bullet that best fits our own personal style of hunting.

Trade offs as noted, I have had good luck with the 145lrx in my 708 and plan to try the in my 280ai. Give them a look in 7mag if you like barnes.

I shoot 95 gr Barnes TTSX in my 6.8 SPC AR. But that's not a gun I've set up for long-range work. (1.25-4x scope, 16" barrel, etc.) It does a number on hogs.

I can't wrap my head around shooting an animal with a bullets that is meant to fragment-Berger. Especially on elk.

I harvested a MT Bill elk in 2013 with 190 Berger VLD out of my .300 Win Mag at 931 yards.

There are lots of MT LRH members like BROZ, Bigngreen, just to name a few, with exceptional successes and hands on experience with Berger bullets on MT elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.