Anyone still prefer Barnes?

I use a lot of Hornady but I do have some Barnes on the shelf. They are cheaper than some of the other mono's and seem to do as well accuracy wise and terminally... I've pulled 300tsx (from my 375 h&h) out of a frozen railroad tie that were still over 280 grains...

It's just uncanny how accurate and deadly the Barnes 130 TTSX bullet is in my .308. It remains my favorite bullet for that rifle.
Ditto. I'm running it at 3,120fps or so in the .308, so basically for shorter ranges, that is a 270 Win performance in a short action. A little faster in the 30-06's at speeds similar to or above a 270 Bee.

They get the job done still, just there are cleaner ways to get it done, just because there are better tools doesn't mean the old ones never worked or won't work the same now as they did before but why shoot two bullets when I can shoot one and get the job done, why follow blood trails when I can just walk over to a piled up elk?
That's a fair answer for sure.

It's no disrespect to a nail if one opts to
Use a screw haha.

I just didn't get the "evolved" comment…compare a Barnes original or an old school x bullet to an lrx and somethings changed haha.

That's a fair answer for sure.

It's no disrespect to a nail if one opts to
Use a screw haha.

I just didn't get the "evolved" comment…compare a Barnes original or an old school x bullet to an lrx and somethings changed haha.
I asked for explanation but didn't get it , maybe the question wasn't seen

I agree, they don't foul as much as the cup and core bullets I have used. I thoroughly cleaned the bore of all copper before I tried shooting the Barnes, and I think that assisted in the ease of cleaning. I have read that the barrel should be cleaned between shooting cup and core bullets and mono bullets. I followed the suggestion, and barrel is clean and copper free after 5 or 6 patches when using Bore Tech Eliminator.

I was told very early on when shooting Barnes, to treat them as you would when shooting cast bullets….very thoroughly clean the bore prior to use if typical gilding metal bullets were fired previously!

It seemed to be a minimal problem with my match grade barrel, and even though I hand-lapped my wife's rifle's barrel…..it fouls worse than mine. Her rifle's groups absolutely suck when shooting Barnes bullets behind typical gilding metal jacketed bullets, without giving the bore a good cleaning! memtb

Last edited:
I was told very early on when shooting Barnes, to treat them as you would when shooting cast bullets….very thoroughly clean the bore prior to use if typical gilding metal

It seemed to be a minimal problem with my match grade barrel, and even though I hand-lapped my wife's rifle's barrel…..it fouls worse than mine. Her rifle's groups absolutely suck when shooting Barnes bullets behind typical gilding metal jacketed bullets, without giving the bore a good cleaning! memtb
I missed this part when I was trying them in a second WBY rifle. I'll go back and try them again to see if I can dublicate the first.
Learn something every day!

Agreed. The old X, which I still have a few I load, are nothing like the modern Barnes.
I haven't shot them yet but got a deal on a bunch of 75 grain Barnes x for my .243. If they shoot well might be an awesome first whitetail round for my kids.

I treat my bullets and bore with hexagonal boron nitride. It makes a real difference in how frequently a barrel needs cleaning. The use of copper erasing powders also makes a difference

I hope that this works out for you. Some folks think that it's BS, but it my limited experience indicates this to be true!

Good Luck! memtb
Well, one rifle ONLY shot 180 grn TSX. Shoots 0.4 @ 200 yards.. (this I bought new)
The other rifle shot 200 grn Nosler BT, AB and PT. Was shooting these at .3-.4 at 100 yards. (bought this one used). Thats when I tried the TSX, Just run a couple of patches through and shot them. With the component situation and NO real urgent need, I am not ready to burn supplies. I have working loads for any imaginable hunt that I might be lucky enough to go on.