Anyone still prefer Barnes?

Calvin45

Hi all, just curious…it's been great to see multiple other players enter the lead-free game.

Just curious if anyone still not only shoots but prefers Barnes bullets? I don't have a ton of experienc with monos in general, just some Barnes and some Hammers just doing load work up at the moment…but
I notice they're not the fad or flavour of the month anymore.

Any die hard barnes fans still aroud or are they old news and therefore unloved at this point?

Hey, I still use them:
6mm Rem, 85 TSX,
7-08, 120's TSX &TTSX, 145 LRX, finally got the 139 LRX haven't had a chance to load develop yet
300 Wby, 180's both, just started load development on the 190 & 200 LRX's
375JDJ pistol, 235 TSX
375H&H, 235 & 270 TSX, 250 TTSX
All guns and all bullets are under MOA and all critters shot died quickly, no tracking required
Take Care

I still have a good assortment but I don't know anyone shooting them anymore, so much better choices and they never evolved.
Neither did the Winchester super x power point and in my neck of the woods I suspect that bullets stacks up more game than all others combined haha.

I am actually curious though. From lead cor originals, to the x bullet, the xlc, then the tsx, then the ttsx, then the Lrx and tac tx, mrx for a while, bore riders…) …what would constitute evolution for you? Not being contentious! Just don't understand.

is it just because they're not a fracturing or fragmenting type?

Hi all, just curious…it's been great to see multiple other players enter the lead-free game.

Just curious if anyone still not only shoots but prefers Barnes bullets? I don't have a ton of experienc with monos in general, just some Barnes and some Hammers just doing load work up at the moment…but
I notice they're not the fad or flavour of the month anymore.

Any die hard barnes fans still aroud or are they old news and therefore unloved at this point?
Well there are a few of us out here, no need to evolve, if something ain't broke it don't need fixin, I have over 50 years of chasing big game on various continents in 7 countries and near 300 animals havrested, over 2 dozen species from steenbok and duiker on the small end to eland and coastal brown bear on the other, end I've been using Barnes in various forms now for nearly 30 years now. Over half the animals fell to the barnes, 62 gr 224 up to 225 gr 338, and a few in between, not all of the others fell to a Nosler slug but nearly all of them did, with perhaps a dozen animal collected with a Speer Sierra or Hornady bullet, at ranges from 9 feet to over over 750 ranged yards, and one even longer but the range was guessed at and I got lucky, 6 calibers in 11 weights, in the last few seasons I've shot 5 deer and 3 coyotes with a hammer bullet, 2 calibers 110 gr out of a 25-06 and 119 gr of a 260, while all the deer ended up in the freezer all three coyotes got away, 2 went down at the shot Then got up, and the 3rd one disappeared over the hill and out of sight chasing its tail never to be seen again, my next hunt i will be armed once again with barnes,

Last edited: