Is it possible to shoot into outer space ?

Myth busters did an episode on bullets fired up, IIRC they used pistol rounds but it was more based on if a falling bullet would be lethal. I did some fast and loose math and rifle rounds wouldn't make it either.

FYI this isn't really the place for this kind of post.

This was the old attempts thanks to Gerald Bull:
"A 16-inch (41 cm) HARP gun operated by the U.S. Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory (now called the U.S. Army Research Laboratory) at Yuma Proving Ground currently holds the world record for the highest altitude, 180 km (110 mi), that a gun-fired projectile has achieved."

1709306571007.jpeg

Last edited:
I have seen a rifle shot into the air before but I never witnessed the bullet falling down again. Has anyone else noticed this ?

I can only guess the bullet must be in orbit with all the other space junk.
If it were possible, some of your reloaded ammo might have the best chance of making it. Aim at Mars. Then, when Elon Musk finally gets there and finds your bullets, he'll have to conclude there used to be human life on Mars.

This was the old attempts thanks to Gerald Bull:
"A 16-inch (41 cm) HARP gun operated by the U.S. Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory (now called the U.S. Army Research Laboratory) at Yuma Proving Ground currently holds the world record for the highest altitude, 180 km (110 mi), that a gun-fired projectile has achieved."

View attachment 549245
Needs muzzle brake and flash hider for sure.

Recent Posts