Is custom worth it?

Coues7
I have a factory 300 Win mag. and Goodgrouper and 7mmrhb did pillar and glass bed it they did load development on my gun and then loaded up 100 pieces of lapua brass. I had Fiftydriver put a muzzle brake I can shoot up to 1100 yards and hit a 15" plate of steel. Sounds like if you give Goodgrouper a call you can almost have both gun and rangefinder. I have been very happy and like yourself continue to purchase alittle each year. Idaho Preacher.

$1600 now is a lot less than what you'll pay in 3-5 years when you burn out the factory barrel. Handlapped barrels alone have gone up $50-65 in the last 2 years.

I'd advise you go ahead and order a pre-turned blank barrel from the manufacturer of your choice, Keep in it your dehumidified safe until you are ready to use it. Worry about smith labor later.

As for H-S precision, I have a few on my rifles and they are superior to the factory stocks. There's no rule that says you cannot still add glass bedding to the aluminum block.

I personally do not feel that getting an action squared/trued is a waste of money. Accurizing a rifle, even a hunting rifle, is nothing but a benefit that gives you an edge. I found that it became easier to find a consistent handload with an accurized rifle and handlapped barrels. JME.

If $1600 bothers you now, know this, it will never be cheaper.

Idaho Preacher,

Which factory rifle did you begin with? Is it a varmint barrel?

Does anyone know of someone in or around Tucson that can glass/pillar bed?

Also what's the wait time for an HS right now?

i said the same thing 3 months ago. i have a .308 remington VS that shoots .3-.5" with just about any handload i feed it. but, i'm one for uniqueness, so i bought a used .308 sps and i am having Fiftydriver build me a custom .308 that will shoot just as good, if not better then my stock remington. i don't have money to burn, but i just like custom things. BTW, yesterday at the range, there was a guy breaking in a brand new 22-250 remington VS. he shot 1 and cleaned times 5. when we walked to the targets, there were 4 holes making 1 ragged hole approx .5" and 1 hole (first shot) approx .3" from the ragged hole.

My box stock sendero sfII shot a .366" 4 shot group at a 100 yards off a bipod which was on the tool box on my truck. This was w/ a berger 180 vld. To say I was happy was an understatement. Will I go custom? doubtful. With results like this from a factory $900.00 rifle what's the point? When I burn the barrel I will have it rebarreled but that's it for me.

It is a Remington LSS (laminated stainless steel) it is not a varment barrel. They did a trigger job and they did Tubbs final finish to the barrel. What was really nice you go out with them and they help you to shoot at those distances and give you instruction, I really felt it was worth the money because the time they spend with you personally and on your equipment. Idaho Preacher

Coues7, the HS precision stock is $289 in cabelas. It should cost you about $100 more for a smith to install the stock and do a trigger job.

Everything else is a waste.

<font color="blue">Thank you, goodgroouper.

According to the Remington specifications, my my SPS Varmint has a 9-1/8 twist barrel... I don't know if that is supposed to be the 'right' twist for the 105 VLD's w/ 41g of H4831SC (the box says 1 in 8 twist or faster) but I am going to frame the index card that has the group on it.
</font>

This was a very informative thread for me. I am also beginning the long-range fun and games so this is all useful info for me. What I really like on the LRH board is the different opinions, but also ALL of them are along the same lines; you don't need a race car for a fun Sunday drive and you don't need a "$1600" upgrade to hit deer/elk/plates way out there. Thanks couse7 and everyone else for your inputs.

I agree if a person needs/wants small improvements, every little thing adds up, but more importantly if someone wants something special/unique/different do whatever your imagination and pocketbook (and significant other) can handle. Some of the projects I have on the burner are PURELY to make something different and fun FOR ME; not because it is any better than what I had before.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.