Is custom worth it?

This is a really tuff decision.....I hear what CAM and others are saying....no use getting a custom rig that can shoot if you don't know the range.

R&D Precision has the Maverick package for $550. That would be one step towards a custom rig plus I could buy the range finder. Shoot the **** out of the existing barrel then simply have a new barrel put on. THEN COMES THE DILEMMA OF A STOCK. An HTG is $400 then $150 to pillar and glass bed....what to do what to do?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Why are you dead set on the McM stock? yea they are good but for the money they ain't that good ,I personaly feel that the McMillan stock are way over priced and their customer service has sucked from the few dealings I've had.

You can get a HS Precision stock for under $300 from Brownells and the glass bedding is an option that you can do if you wanted. The Hogue Overmolded stock are a great deal , the unit with the full length bedding block is under $200 .

[ QUOTE ]
... R&D Precision has the Maverick package for $550. That would be one step towards a custom rig plus I could buy the range finder. Shoot the **** out of the existing barrel then simply have a new barrel put on. THEN COMES THE DILEMMA OF A STOCK. An HTG is $400 then $150 to pillar and glass bed....what to do what to do?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to the R&D site:

http://www.rdprecision.net/pricing.html

There is NOTHING in that $550 package that you need. It is all cosmetic junk.

And the guy charges more to fit a barrel than Shilen (WHAT???)

Why do you want it pillar bedded - it sounds sexy, but it does NOTHING.

Get the stock, and bed it yourself - if you are not confident in doing that, get a local smith to bed it, and adjust the trigger.

Then you are done "building" the rifle for the moment, get the Swaro, and go shooting (a lot).

People think LR shooting is about the guns - it's NOT, it's about the shooting.

You can NOT go out and get a custom gun and be a long range shooter.

You CAN get an off the rack gun and be a long range shooter.

I think you need to get your priorities straight. If you want a pretty rifle, then get one, and don't get the rangefinder and the ammo to practice.

But if you want to really be a long range shooter, don't waste your money on the "stuff".

Get the stock and have it bedded, and don't waste your money on the cosmetics.

I know... I'm a pain in the *** - but my son tells me that all the time!

If I get a McMillan it has to be bedded in some fashion doesn't it?

You think if I went with the stock and rangefinder and do a hole hellava lota shooting my that I can do as well or better than someone behind a custom rig?

Hell yes , I know of a couple guys that have full blown custom rigs built on high end actions ($3000+)and they absolutly SUCK , 3-4" groups at 200yds is normal but they think thats "good nuff for ol bucky" these gun would likly shoot in the .2's and .3's with proper load development and the right guy on the trigger.

Generaly most factory guns can be tuned up to shoot in the sub 3/4 moa range and alot into the 1/2moa range , with a tune up I meen bedding , trigger work , likely a crown and load devolopment.

The McMillan's don't "have" to be bedded but its reccomended.

Should I still need to get a pinned recoil lug and have the crown recut on my factory rig plus go with the mcmillan?

I constantly hear from the custom rifle builders that HS Precision sucks cause they don't mount the aluminum block in straight.

I didn't see anyone mention laminate wood stock. That's a solid platform and could save you quite a bit of money. If your not comfortable bedding it get that done by a smith and finish the outside yourself and you still have a nice stable stock for much less than a mcmillan.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I still need to get a pinned recoil lug and have the crown recut on my factory rig plus go with the McMillen?

I constantly hear from the custom rifle builders that HS Precision sucks cause they don't mount the aluminum block in straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want the lug pinned - is it going some place??

Where in God's name did you get all this stuff?

I think you have been a victim of Website sales pressure and fantasy rifle promises.

Unless there is a ding on the muzzle, there is no need to get it re-crowned.

Just get a McMillen stock and get it bedded - should cost you $50 to $75 for the bedding, so the whole thing should be around $500 to get it to shoot.

This group was shot from an H-S stock that was two point bedded with "Steel Bed".

http://www.snipercountry.com/images/Pablito-M24-0.46-target.jpg

It was shot at 405 yards.

It is a plain 700 action.

The stock is one of those "yuckie" H-S precision M24s (like a Rem PSS).

The action was not trued.

The bolt was not sleeved.

The bolt was not timed.

The bolt lugs were not lapped.

The recoil lug was not replaced.

The recoil lug was not pinned.

The bolt handle was not replaced.

It was not fitted with "pillars".

The muzzle was not re-crowned.

And it did not have $600 worth of pixie dust sprinkled on it by some fast talking "Ex-cop sniper" trying to sell a bunch of junk.

It is just a well made working rifle.

Oh yeah... the scope is a fixed power Leupold 10X.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll vote for the none full on custom rifle (second option). You can use this for hunting and practicing to get you closer to the 800 yard mark and when you burn the barrel or start getting to the point of not enough accuracy for the range them replace the barrel, work the action, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice ! +1

My recomendation to you is to listen to CatShooter.... If your rifle is shoot 1 MOA now .52 MOA is possiable without mortgaging the FARM..........

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter,

What stock do you recommend? HS Varmint stock (same as sendero smaller palm swell) OR a McMillan of the some sort?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are buying a quality stock, then it is a matter of preference, because ALL of them will shoot well when bedded.

I have three McMillens (A-2's), and eight or nine H-S Precisions. The are all glassed with Steel Bed or equivalent.

Both brands are capable of outstanding accuracy.

Don't get a stock that "looks cool", get a stock that fits YOU and fits the way YOU shoot.

A stock that is shot off the hood of a car, or shot from a portable bench, has to fit differently than one that is shot from prone.

Get the one that fits you.

Try to look at stocks that other are using, or in look at the H-S in a sporting goods store.

The H-S varmint and PSS (police) stocks can be found on ebay as take offs from guys that went to something else, and can be had for a song. There were two NEW PSS stocks that went for $270 on Ebay recently. That's a steal!

Just keep looking for what you want, and get it together.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Coues7, listen to catshooter. Get a Mcmillian or HS precision, get a smith to bed it for you and adjust the trigger. THAT'S IT!

I don't think you will go wrong with either stock. HS will save you some $$$ and time as well. You can order an HS from cabelas or maybe midwayusa.com

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.