Is a 4.5-14 scope enough?

Oldschool280

looking to book a prarie dog hunt while the family and inare road tripping the west next year. I currently have a 4.5-14x 44 on top of my 6mmrem. The lodges i am looking at claim that they have a ton of long range shots. I have never fired more than 450 yards. What donyou think?

How far do you wish to shoot?

16X gets me to 500 generally, when shooting varmints.
Sounds like they have a bunch of shots up to they're record 0f 1600 yards, by a teenage girl with a 6.5 creedmore. I'd like to be able to go to 700 ish , sound's like i need a little more glass

Sounds like a fun trip!

I try to get kids into a sage rat hunt in the spring. The challenge is also bringing a rifle that can stand the round count, as well as optics to pull it off.

I have a 5-25X ATACR, on a Tikka .223 that works well for volume, but comes up short on reliable when stretching it out much.

280, Cabelas has the 30mm Vortex Viper HS 6-24X50 with a decent varmint type reticle for $389.88 = $200 off. Good luck with the p-dogs.

I run a 4.5-14 on my .204 for P-dogs. After about 1000rnds and several hundred dead dogs, I can honestly say, I run out of magnification at the 400-500yd mark. This is just me personally but, I notice a significant drop in hit probability at those ranges. I just cant see the little turds well enough to connect at the percentage level I want to.

By the sounds of it, you have the opportunity to shoot dogs at great distance; that doesn't mean you have to. If you'd rather keep the funds, just kill every dog inside 500. My guess is you'll find plenty of prairie rats at those distances to more than satisfy yourself.

t

.....By the sounds of it, you have the opportunity to shoot dogs at great distance; that doesn't mean you have to. If you'd rather keep the funds, just kill every dog inside 500. My guess is you'll find plenty of prairie rats at those distances to more than satisfy yourself........

A good question to ask is how many towns/fields the host has available. Generally they should be able to keep you shooting at a good rate if volume is what your looking for, or long range if that's you're interest.

In other words tailor the shooting to your equipment, not the other way around.

Most of the shooting will be under 400 yards. Best way to go is shoot short, go longer, then even longer as the closer ones will be in their holes by then. Wind is ALWAYS blowing! One lodge I stayed at was Buffalo Butte. Great people! Shooting was always good, food excellent, lodging first class. They have a rifle range with targets all the way to 1400 yards and maybe longer by now. Your 6 Rem. is fine, take a lot of ammo as 200 rounds a day is about normal now. I do hope you have another rifle to give the 6 a break.
Having more power in your glass is generally a good thing. You can always dial down; but it's hard to go up if it ain't got it.:cool:

The US Army did extensive testing in the 1960's on usable scope power under field conditions. Granted, today our glass is much better, but physics don't change. Mirage makes using anything over 16x under field conditions very difficult. That's why for years the two standard scopes with Leupold MK4 of 10x and 16x power for snipers.

Your 4.5-14x, if it's quality glass, will be just fine. Don't waste your money on anything over 20x unless you will be spending lots of money on the glass, it's just not worth it in my experience.

While I do agree with the Captain about mirage and quality glass, the winds in S.D. are the bigger problem. Actually, because the winds are constantly BLOWING, mirage has little chance of being a problem. In my ten years of going out there, it has ALWAYS been windy and rarely if ever have I had to deal with mirage. Ooo, that's not quite correct. If you heat up a barrel and or suppressor, you will have mirage from that. I try to stay away from that so it hasn't been a bother for me. If you see a lot of mirage from the barrel or suppressor, you should change rifles! I carry several for that reason and other possibilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.