Is a 6mm Creedmoor fur friendly?

I'm planning the same thing, and I know they can be loaded down to 55gr, but them you'd have to get your barrel made in a 1-12 (maybe, I'm really not certain), but the standard is a 1-8 and some are even faster, 1-7 or 1-7.5 so they can shoot bullets in the 108 gr range. I've killed a few coyotes with a 108gr from a 6mm arc, and it chews them up pretty good. I'm trying to convince myself that it doesn't matter, and that our pelts in TN really don't have any value anyways, but it is on my mind. I'm interested in hearing other opinions here..

i've got three of em and consider it perfect for wolves with 108 eldm........if taking coyotes with facing chest shot there is no fur damage.
taking a broadside shoulder shot ruins hide.

if hunting coyotes only i'd be looking at a harder bullet in about 70 gr class.

Back in the day, I did a ton load of pred control on a couple big ranches, from the end of elk season to the end of January I tried to keep some pelts intact. I used a 6/06 for most all my work, the bullet I found to work the best for being pelt friendly was the 55 NBT.

Key for keeping pelts intact is too avoid the major bones. IE. shoulder, spine and on a frontal shot the breast bone (this will result in some nasty splash back holes......be patient and let them turn sideways and avoid the frontal shot.

It will he hit or miss on being fur friendly. You will for sure be fine on some but destroy others. A lot depends on shot placement. Facing straight at you you should be fine. Behind the shoulder you will end up with a half dollar sized exit depending on the bullet you use. Hit bone and it will likely make a mess

I'm planning the same thing, and I know they can be loaded down to 55gr, but them you'd have to get your barrel made in a 1-12 (maybe, I'm really not certain), but the standard is a 1-8 and some are even faster, 1-7 or 1-7.5 so they can shoot bullets in the 108 gr range. I've killed a few coyotes with a 108gr from a 6mm arc, and it chews them up pretty good. I'm trying to convince myself that it doesn't matter, and that our pelts in TN really don't have any value anyways, but it is on my mind. I'm interested in hearing other opinions here..
This is exactly where I am at with it. Either a 22-250 or 6mm creed

i've got three of em and consider it perfect for wolves with 108 eldm........if taking coyotes with facing chest shot there is no fur damage.
taking a broadside shoulder shot ruins hide.

if hunting coyotes only i'd be looking at a harder bullet in about 70 gr class.
thank you for the information.

The 6 Creedmoor is a VERY accurate cartridge! Pelt damage, if hit in wrong place , will be bad. That's with the 105s to 115gr. bullets. I also think the lighter bullets , going very fast, will also damage pelts. Your search is really about bullets, and I think you can find one in 6mm that is both accurate and pelt friendly. Good luck in your hunt!

Predator Pursuit hosted by Jeff Thomason... on one of the shows he stated that using a .243 with Varmageddon bullets (don't remember what grain size) at slower speeds was the ticket to prevent fur damage.

Looking to build a 6mm creedmoor for coyote hunting. Whats your opinion?
Try the Sierra #1515 80grain Biltz Varminter Bullet. I have used it in a 6x45 cartridge on coyotes and it is very fur friendly. I have just had a rifle chambered in the 6mm Creedmoor and haven't shot a coyote with it yet however, I'm very confident you would be happy with it's performance.

From the Sierra website:
1615298041314.png

I finally got to shoot my Ruger # 1 in 6 Creedmoor yesterday. It was a re-chamber job I had done last year, and I found out the twist was a 14! Now what to load. Found some custom 68 gr. fbhpts in my stash and loaded some up. Went out and got it zeroed at 50 yds. Of course, the 105 I had loaded for the 8 twist went through sideways! LOL.
BUT, my first reload put 3 into a tiny cloverleaf, and another did almost as good. But the third make one very slightly oval hole! These were running 3450ish range.

Attachments

• 0908210859.jpg
    0908210859.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 0908210859_HDR.jpg
    0908210859_HDR.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 0908210859a_HDR.jpg
    0908210859a_HDR.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 0908210900_HDR.jpg
    0908210900_HDR.jpg