6mm AI

adam330

Anyone on here shooting varmint at long ranges with this caliber? If so how do you like it and what is your set up? Action, barrel length, twist rate, bullet and bullet weight, velocity ect. I have been strictly using a .204 ruger for woodchucks, but will be going to wyoming for prairie dogs this summer and would like a little larger caliber to reach out there. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

If there was ever a cartridge that was begging to be improved, its got to be the very underrated 6mm.

Best of luck on your 6ai build!!!

I shoot a 6AI sporter on a Rem 700 LONG action with a 26 inch Black Star barrel. That allows me to seat the bullets very long. It has a 1 in 9 twist and absolutely loves the 95g Berger VLD bullets. I have been shooting fire forming loads of RL22 at a velocity of 3100 f/s. It is extremely accurate and has the capacity to go a lot faster. I just haven't fire formed all my brass yet so have not looked for anything faster. It's a great cartridge.

There are 2 ways to go, you can just blow the shoulder out on the 6mm or you can use Norma 7x57 this requires a little more work, severel dies and turning necks.

What makes a rifle capable taking PD's at distance is the BC of the bullet. It takes very little energy to kill a PD. Here is a great story on a 20BR. Tennessee Triple — VolDoc's Varminters within AccurateShooter.com

I would look hard at something shooting the 20.cal 55gr berger varmints.

If your sold on a 6mm look at the benchrest rounds, Like the 6mmBR, 6XC, or 6mm Dasher, along with the high BC 100gr + bullets. Much better accuracy, less recoil and better barrel life.

IMO,

Jon

I have a 204 ruger that i took last hear and it did a decent job with them. I was just looking for something that would reach out a little further with a better splat effect! I also shooy my fair share of woodchucks here in ohio and would like the gun to serve as a 500-700 yard chuck killer as well! If there is a better cartridge out there feel free to make suggestions. If i dont have to fireform brass thats fine by me. Im just looking for something fast that will make a nice red mist when it makes contact!

I have a 204 ruger that i took last hear and it did a decent job with them. I was just looking for something that would reach out a little further with a better splat effect! I also shooy my fair share of woodchucks here in ohio and would like the gun to serve as a 500-700 yard chuck killer as well! If there is a better cartridge out there feel free to make suggestions. If i dont have to fireform brass thats fine by me. Im just looking for something fast that will make a nice red mist when it makes contact!

If barrel life is not a concern... I love my 6mm-06. It will send a 70gr NBT @ 4000+ FPS
No fire forming, simply neck down and seat. This round creates a RED MIST @ 300 yards could barely find the parts of the PD and he was anywhere from 1 foot to 10 feet away from his hole.

It has a 1:10 26" w/break krieger designed to shoot the 95gr VLDS for deer and antelope.

the 55gr berger varmints don't give much of a red mist factor at distance but that bullet will carry out there no problem. I really like to 20BR with a 1:8 shooting those. My friends is a tac driver and he shoots PD's at 600 yards with no problem.

Jon

If you're looking to stay in the 6mm market my vote goes to the 6-284.

I run 6.5-284 Lapua brass thru a 6-284 FL die and your done. You get to use the best brass available and it's the easiest neck down you will find.

If you just want to buy excellent brass, load it, and shoot, a 243win. would be the obvious winner.

For LONG range I went with the .260 Remington. ( Basically the 6.5mm-308 cartridge) Running a 26" varmint taper barre; and stocked with the exact same stock as Remingtons VLS series of heavy barreled guns.

It looks identical to my VLS 22-250 and VLS 243.

With a custom 12T, Hart and Shilen barels, zero freebore reamer, I shot the 80g bergers and 80g Sierra blitz boat tails at 3500 fps into very tiny groups with IMR 4064 and Fed 210's, 26" bbl. using Winchester brass. R#19 gives another 100 fps with this same bullet weight.

In the AI, add 200 fps in a zero freebore reamer with R#19 with the 80g with a cci 250 primer or Fed 215.

In the std Rem 700 in 6 Rem factory, I used 85g TSX with R19 at 3400 fps. This is an amazing deer and hog load.

The 6 Rem and AI thrive on the long actions. I had custom barrels put on Ruger 77 Tang safeties, Parker Hale 30/06 actions, Rem and Win long actions...no down side

AA2700 in the 6 and AI versions gives the longer barrel life, impressive accuracy with super speed.

In several 9T barrels, we were very successful on Very large Nebraska Corn fed White tails shot at some distance with 95g Partitions which shot 1/2" groups in the std 6 Rem.

Useful barrel life is greatly extended as you can chase the lands as the leader grows, other wise you are replacing barrels on short actions as accuracy is lost at magazine length.

A friend borrowed my reamer and unithroater and built a 8T AI at 26" Krieger 4 Groove. He is shooting the 105g VLD Hunting bullet at 3350 fps into very tiny groups with R#26 with CCI 250's. The Berger 105g vld hunting is an incredible hunting bullet for deer and hogs.

There is no more than 6 oz of weight difference between a long action rifle and a short action rifle given the same components used in each.

I used to shoot a 6 Rem. A.I. and loved it. Back then. Today there is a new guy in town called the 6 Creedmoor. I am in LOVE with it! Easiest cartridge I have ever reloaded, shoots dots way out there, has light recoil, hits like a ton o bricks with either the 105 or 108 Hornadys. Get a barrel with a 1: 7.5 twist or 1 :8 . Put a really good glass on it, like a NF in TPS rings on a 20 MOA rail. Make a load that runs those 105s ro 108s to around 3000FPS and you will be amazed how well it shoots. Just FYI, a BIG money shoot has ALL the shooters shooting a 6 mm of some kind. No 6.5s, no 260s, nothing but 6mm. First year the go to round was the 6 Creedmoor. It's still a great round as it bucks wind and has less drop than bigger cals, can get factory ammo, too.