6ppc or 6mm BR?

Timnterra

I came into possession of a 1-14" twist krieger barrel that was intended to be a 6ppc benchrest gun. I'm going to turn it into a prairie dog/ coyote rifle. Which cartridge should I use and what bullet weight should I expect to stabilize with the 1-14" twist? I am leaning toward the 6mmbr simply because I don't know if a standard short action 308 bolt will work with the ppc case.

the ppc will not work on a standard 30-06/.308 bolt as it is based on the 220 Russian case which is very close to the 7.62x39 case. You would have to buy that action or a replacement bolt for the ppc.

Good luckJerry

With a 1:14 twist, I don't think you're going to be able to stabilize anything much bigger than a 70-80 grain bullet. I think that twist would be perfect for the 55 grain nosler BT or sierra Blitzking and you'll be able to run them at a higher velocity making for a good pdog round.

With a 1:14 twist, I don't think you're going to be able to stabilize anything much bigger than a 70-80 grain bullet. I think that twist would be perfect for the 55 grain nosler BT or sierra Blitzking and you'll be able to run them at a higher velocity making for a good pdog round.

I have a 6mmBR single shot on a Rem 700 action ( short) I love the thing

I have a 6ppc sako and a 6mmbr rem 700. the 6mm br is a single shot. if you want a repeater I would make a 6ppc.

the ppc will not work on a standard 30-06/.308 bolt as it is based on the 220 Russian case which is very close to the 7.62x39 case. You would have to buy that action or a replacement bolt for the ppc.

Good luckJerry

I have a Stolle action 6ppc that can be used for 6ppc cases or 308 boltface type cartridges.
Drags

Why are you set on the PPC or BR. Your action length will allow for other faster custom chamberings. The extra speed you will gain will be handy on long range dogs. Will also help in the wind. 1 in 14 twist was designed to stabilize 70gr bullets but will work on 75's although not as common of weight. Another chambering should not cost any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.