220 Swift AI

liltank

Anybody have some load info for me? I am going to load 52 grain speer FBHP. Free bullets, so that is why I am going to use them. ;) Let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Why in the world would you "AI" a .220 Swift?? Isn't 4,000 fps + fast enough? Or are you just a speed demon and to hell with accuracy?

Not sure, its my dad's rifle. It just sits in his gun cabinet collecting dust. A buddy of his talked him into building it. I probably would not have because it is only a 1:14. I would think a person would benefit with a tighter twist and push heavier bullets. Right now I have some 52grn Speer HP i'm going to try. I'm thinking H380 and 4064 for starting loads.

Lots of people AI'ed the swift to help eliminate the brass stretching. Added velocity is good in my book as well...as long as it's accurate.. LOL I like to kill'em fast as possible...& with authority...hehehehe.

What do you mean slow runners? not loading them up to speed? It's all good.....
Load it how you feel most comfortable....I have found there are like 3 tuning nodes for accuracy...one on the low end one in the middle and one on the high end... Start low & work up groups will open up & close up in those 3 nodes... watch for pressure signs...
Once in the middle I work up in .3 increments.

I have a .308 comp chamber in an 18" tube. I'm currently running 165 SST's at 2450 using 41.4grns RL15. My 300WSM w/ 208 A-Max's are only getting 2700, but I was having some chambering issue's. It has been opened up a little and the head spacing backed off, so I'm hoping for less pressure, more powder and faster speed. We'll see, haven't gone out. Temps in the neg. #'s. :rolleyes:

I consider those slow compared to the 220 AI. :D

220 AI? Very similar to the 220 Weatherby Rocket. 41gr./H380/Nosler 50 gr Ballistic Tip is a very accurate fire forming load in mine, then up to about 46gr/ VV160 for full power loads.

H414 is very fast and accurate in the big .22 centerfires. VV160 may be even better, but it's hard to find in most gun stores.

220 AI? Very similar to the 220 Weatherby Rocket. 41gr./H380/Nosler 50 gr Ballistic Tip is a very accurate fire forming load in mine, then up to about 46gr/ VV160 for full power loads.

H414 is very fast and accurate in the big .22 centerfires. VV160 may be even better, but it's hard to find in most gun stores.

What kind of range should I expect out of a rifle like this? I know the 30's are 800+. Can I expect 500+?

With some field testing and an "accurate" ballistic chart you shoould be able to make hits out to 500 and beyond. Terminal performance is another thing... depends on the type of bullet, remaining energy and the type of critter.
What are your targets?

Looking at grounghogs and crows. Maybe the occasional pidgeon! I have some 55 Nosler SPBT and 53grn Hor. Match HP flat base and Lee 52grn HP flat base.

J

Please be careful when using the match bullets on critters... be aware of your backstop...
I use varmint bullets on critters because they are designed to expand and terminate the critters. Match bullets have superb accuracy but often do not expand well on critters... Match bullets will ricochet!... I shoot around cattle all the time and have to be selective in the shots as well as the bullets. My exp. has been that groundhogs are some of the toughest varmints to kill.... crows are relatively easy cause the feathers act as a shield and aid in the expansion.
Good luck & have fun working up a load.

Here are 2 crows that lost the battle to my 8 twist 22-250 shooting the 68 grain varmint pills

Image007-2.jpg

here is the rifle-sleeved remmy 600 glue in a McMillan Stock w/ Leupy/Premier boost 20-48x50

Image026.jpg

Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.