AR-10 build for speed (220 Swift or 22-243)

Lol it's pretty good he was so against them. So the guys from hammer and some others along with his wife got him one. Now it's his favorite. Or at least I tell everyone that.

Just to update this thread, I ended up going with the 22 creedmoor in an AR-10. The sale that x-cal barrels had got me and they don't offer custom chamberings so...creed it was. Second issue, there was zero load data for a 1:14 twist 30-35 gr 22 creedmoor load.
I ended up taking volumes of 22-250 AI, 220 swift and 22-243 along with the load data for those rounds and powers that got speed to get a starting load and then went up from there slowly. I ended up finding that XBR8208 and IMR3031 got me up around the 4800 fps range with a 32 gr Lehigh bullet.
Working on the accuracy load now as we speak, but it seems like a shooter in load development right now. Trying for ~1" at 200 and shouldn't be an issue, love running this thing suppressed

Just to update this thread, I ended up going with the 22 creedmoor in an AR-10. The sale that x-cal barrels had got me and they don't offer custom chamberings so...creed it was. Second issue, there was zero load data for a 1:14 twist 30-35 gr 22 creedmoor load.
I ended up taking volumes of 22-250 AI, 220 swift and 22-243 along with the load data for those rounds and powers that got speed to get a starting load and then went up from there slowly. I ended up finding that XBR8208 and IMR3031 got me up around the 4800 fps range with a 32 gr Lehigh bullet.
Working on the accuracy load now as we speak, but it seems like a shooter in load development right now. Trying for ~1" at 200 and shouldn't be an issue, love running this thing suppressed

Here's some data that you may find helpful. Saeed was able to achieve velocities well in excess of 5,000 fps in the Middlestead, which has similar case capacity to the 22Creedmoor.. Good luck with your project rifle.

I shoot a 22-243 and have 3 loads for it. 44.5 grains of IMR 7828 with a 69grain SMK, 44.7 grains of 7828 with a 69 grain nosler comp and 44.2 grains of RE22 with 75 amax. The sierras and noslers are going 3655 and 3650 respectively. The amax load is clocked in at 3400 and all shoot under a 1/2" at 200 yards. Rifle data-
FN commercial Mauser with David Tubb speed lock
28" benchmark 1/9 twist with benchmark 3 port muzzle brake
Timney trigger @ 1.5 lbs
Leopold 5Ă—25 LR

Ok so this is still a concept build. I am wanting a thermal hunting rig that i can get as close to possible shooting 400 yards and stay on fur.

Ideally with the resources i have, i would love to build a 220 swift. However i don't see a good way to feed an AR-10 style rifle, even with a 5 rounds mag.

Second idea is a 22-243 build. However i cannot for the life of me find a load for a bullet under 50 gr. I would say the 35 gr hammer would be of interest since it can hold up to speeds without fragmenting. I like odd calibers and hand loading/work on the brass so odd calibers don't deter me.

Does anyone have info on how to feed a 220 swift AR-10 first off?
Second, are there any throat burning, high speed loads that someone has with a 40-ish grain bullet out of a 22-243 (mid or AI)
You might look into a wildcat I played with for a while, the .22-30 Remington, actually the .25 Remington case, might work better if you use the case as is. This is almost identical in performance to the .224 Weatherby magnum without the belt. It would work quite nicely in an AR10, shorted a little with light bullets you could drop to an AR15... but the AR10 build would be more fun. Cheers

You might look into a wildcat I played with for a while, the .22-30 Remington, actually the .25 Remington case, might work better if you use the case as is. This is almost identical in performance to the .224 Weatherby magnum without the belt. It would work quite nicely in an AR10, shorted a little with light bullets you could drop to an AR15... but the AR10 build would be more fun. Cheers
As in the 30 rem AR or a different cartridge? That would work in a 15 platform and have some speed for sure..............well according to QL

As in the 30 rem AR or a different cartridge? That would work in a 15 platform and have some speed for sure..............well according to QL
I'm speaking of the old .30 Remington, which was designed in 1906, others using the same case was the .25 and .32 Remingtons.