22 cheetah or 220 jaybird

17 hornet

I'm thinking on getting a gun built would like to play around some with a chuck gun I've been helping my dad reload since I was 5 I'm now 26 my dad said 220 Jay I say 22 cheetah pros and cons? I'm in western pa if that helps with weather wise .

My vote goes for a 22-243 with an 8 twist. Simply run a 243 Lapua case through a FL die and you're done. Load & shoot. I had a 22-243AI which was unbelievably accurate and shot a 75gr A-Max at 3,670 ft/sec but I got tired of fireforming. I'm now shooting a 22-243 (plain) with an 82gr Berger @ 3,450 ft/sec. The rifle will regularly shoot groups of 1.5" at 400yds.

My vote goes for a 22-243 with an 8 twist. Simply run a 243 Lapua case through a FL die and you're done. Load & shoot. I had a 22-243AI which was unbelievably accurate and shot a 75gr A-Max at 3,670 ft/sec but I got tired of fireforming. I'm now shooting a 22-243 (plain) with an 82gr Berger @ 3,450 ft/sec. The rifle will regularly shoot groups of 1.5" at 400yds.
Fly Air Chuck!

Found this in one of my files:

Attachments

• 600yd group2.JPG
    600yd group2.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 163
FEENIX popcorn please.
I'm thinking on getting a gun built would like to play around some with a chuck gun I've been helping my dad reload since I was 5 I'm now 26 my dad said 220 Jay I say 22 cheetah pros and cons? I'm in western pa if that helps with weather wise .
I was thinking fast twist 22-250 because I already have everything but the fast twist barrel. A 22 CM, I think I threw up alittle, would work also. But really this is YOUR rifle. Get what tickles your fancy the most because it's YOUR MONEY. Good luck and have fun!

FWIW - the 22-243AI had a 26" custom match grade barrel that was a 7 or 8 contour. After I shot it extensively, I had 2" removed from the chamber end and rechambered in 22-243 (plain) I'm still shooting that same barrel today but I'm a lot easier on it now that I haven't been shooting fat PA groundhogs. Always looking for a few new farms to hunt. (hint) :>)

I have the Cheetaha, I like it alot, used to shoot it regularly, It is a Nelson Berger smithed gun on a 700 action, Shillen barrel. You dont have to use the 308 BR brass. Forming brass I did the pistol powder and paper towel method, worked great, Shooting prairie dogs was feet a bit of recoil, see the dog explode in the scope (mostly shot 55gr Vmax) it brings instant satifaction when you pull the trigger

Properly twisted 22-250or 22 cm. No need to fire form or neck down brass any more for negligible rate of return Headstamped high quality brass, dies et el all available for the 2 aforementioned

I have a 22CH, 40° shoulder, but the builder had a weird reamer, and if the neck section isn't cut below .250" (as blueprint specifies), it rings the brass and blows the primer. Obviously not releasing the bullet. And the leade is so short, a 55 gr. bullet sits so low in the case, it is more of a plug than anything. So far, I've only run 40 gr. ballistic tips out of it, but they shoot well at 4600 fps. Pasture poodles sometimes simply disappear. I'm thinking after enough 40 grainers, the throat should accept longer bullets, but that remains to be seen.

When I was a kid I shot a 22-250 26 inch 9 twist. Horse Power is king. .243 and 6mm are so much better. I used to buy the box of 750 for 72 or 75 grains varmint rounds for cheap. I'd never go back to little stuff

I've had a 22 CHeetah for years. 27 inch barrel with 1-16 twist. Never shot anything over 55 grs. I use 243 brass and don't mind the forming and neck turning. Back in the day pulled off some stupid long shots with it.

I have a 22CH, 40° shoulder, but the builder had a weird reamer, and if the neck section isn't cut below .250" (as blueprint specifies), it rings the brass and blows the primer. Obviously not releasing the bullet. And the leade is so short, a 55 gr. bullet sits so low in the case, it is more of a plug than anything. So far, I've only run 40 gr. ballistic tips out of it, but they shoot well at 4600 fps. Pasture poodles sometimes simply disappear. I'm thinking after enough 40 grainers, the throat should accept longer bullets, but that remains to be seen.
Sounds like this rifle came from Star Trek with "Warp Speed". What twist are you running so those 40gr don't blow apart by 50yrds?