AR-10 build for speed (220 Swift or 22-243)

I presently have a 220 swift. I am stepping up with a heaver bullet and Dia. .243 cal. I would use an AI case setup. Or go to a 06 case with AI set up. in .243 cal. I set up a 6mm/280AI rifle, and still don't have it in my hands yet. It maybe to much. I have the options of 80gr to 115gr. Hammer in a 100gr. Each there own.

Ok so this is still a concept build. I am wanting a thermal hunting rig that i can get as close to possible shooting 400 yards and stay on fur.

Ideally with the resources i have, i would love to build a 220 swift. However i don't see a good way to feed an AR-10 style rifle, even with a 5 rounds mag.

Second idea is a 22-243 build. However i cannot for the life of me find a load for a bullet under 50 gr. I would say the 35 gr hammer would be of interest since it can hold up to speeds without fragmenting. I like odd calibers and hand loading/work on the brass so odd calibers don't deter me.

Does anyone have info on how to feed a 220 swift AR-10 first off?
Second, are there any throat burning, high speed loads that someone has with a 40-ish grain bullet out of a 22-243 (mid or AI)
I agree the .220 Swift feeding problems from an AR-type magazine would be a nightmare, getting something like the Mod 1895 Lee Navy magazine crazy geometry function in an AR magazine, is not good. So why not just go with the .22-250 AI? But... that 40-degree shoulder could be another problem I'd think, coming out of a mag into the chamber. Just thinking out loud. Cheers

1647729519614.png

Had a Browning 1885 single shooter in 22 Cheetah Mk-II, with the 40 deg shoulder, one of my most favorite varmiters of all time but fireforming the brass was a bit tedious. 52 gr hp at 4200 fps was very accurate, and it could vaporized 50 gr Sierras. 60 gr Nosler at 3700 was my hunting load for whitetail and antelope. I let myself get talked out of it before the barrel burned out. 22 CM should be a much easier way to go, simplify the loading. Today I'm very happy with my plain 'ol 22-250, just load and shoot.

Ok so this is still a concept build. I am wanting a thermal hunting rig that i can get as close to possible shooting 400 yards and stay on fur.

Ideally with the resources i have, i would love to build a 220 swift. However i don't see a good way to feed an AR-10 style rifle, even with a 5 rounds mag.

Second idea is a 22-243 build. However i cannot for the life of me find a load for a bullet under 50 gr. I would say the 35 gr hammer would be of interest since it can hold up to speeds without fragmenting. I like odd calibers and hand loading/work on the brass so odd calibers don't deter me.

Second, are there any throat burning, high speed loads that someone has with a 40-ish grain bullet out of a 22-243 (mid or AI)
First of all, what is the reasoning for wanting to go with a 35-40 gr. pill?

Secondly, why the 220 Swift, when a rimless case like 22-250 or 22-250 AI, or 22 Creed would suit the mag and AR platform better?

Just asking.

Vog2 -

Howdy !

For something in the 'Swift class w/o the rim, and w/ less case taper, and less overall length; might I suggest.....

" .22-35 Remington " .

I ran my .22-35 in a bolt rifle. First w/ a 24" SS 1-14 for shooting groundhog w/ Hornady 55 SX bullets.

Also shot my .22-35 in a 28" SS 1-8 , to gove me valid 1,000yd capability for either varmint or target application.

The .35 Remingotn case is 1.920" lg, or just .008" longer than a .22-250. The newer " .22 Creedmoor " wildcat runs the same 1.920" case lg.

.22-35 Remington in the 24" barrel gave me a 510yd kill on a grounghog, when shooting a prototype of Hornday's
(then up-coming ) 55 "V"-Max.

The .35 Rem cases I have ( Remington brand ) have a .452" rim diam. I shot my .35Remington-based wildcat in a Wichita WBR1375 single shot bolt rifle that featured the stock .308 bolt face. I never had any failures to feed or extra either fired or loaded cartridges. My Wichita is equipped w/ an AR-15 style exrractor.

Another wildcat idea:
You can use a .22-6mm Remington ( .224 TTH ) die to case form 7 X 64 Brenneke down to .224" calibre.

I have formed 7 X 64 down to 6mm final calibre, using a 6.5 X 55 FL die. I have also used a stock 6mm Rem die.

*** 7 X 64 has a .470" rim diam.

To get the parent brass up-into the die, I use a " perch ", which is made using a shoulder bolt of proper head diam
(< .466" diam ) with threads positioned through the primer ram hole in a .308 shell holder.

After case cut-off and trim to desired oal:
The .224" cal iterration of this wildcat requires a simple inside neck ream and outside neck tur, arrive @ final neck wall thickness and calibre.

No custom dies, and no custom reamers required... when you go w/ a rented reamer, or "smith that has the reamer you need.

Note: using this wildcatting approach ( standard configuration chamber reamer ) case neck lg is fairly long.
Final case oal is thusly a tad longer than a .243Win, but this can easily be offset by seating the bullets deeper in the neck ( if desired ); and making an adjustment to powder charge.

With regards,
357Mag
This gives me something to chew on. thanks

First of all, what is the reasoning for wanting to go with a 35-40 gr. pill?

Secondly, why the 220 Swift, when a rimless case like 22-250 or 22-250 AI, or 22 Creed would suit the mag and AR platform better?

Just asking.
Purely to get the speed up as high as possible for PBR. I have 223, 22-250 and numerous other rifle cals to do the 60-90 gr 22 cal game. This rifle just has its own niche

Bolt gun the perfect fix.