220 SWIFT: Goin' to 'dog town with Dad

The great Swift fell like the 264 wm. Bad advertising and talk by supposedly knowledgeable writers and manufacturers ammo and twist rates to make a supposed barrel burner. But very few people have ever changed a barrel.

I still hear people today who are just hunters say oh that barrel wont last long. I say it will last longer than you will as you shoot 10rds a year. lol

Great rounds still today.

You're correct'..., as well as Remington who made a special bullet they wouldn't sell to hand loaders to get the muzzle velocity's they claimed at the time, today we know, this type of bullet as a swap shape or double running band, as a bearing surface with the bullet, actually quite smart at the time. But yes the gun writers beat the old .264 Win Mag up pretty hard, as did they'.., the 6.5 Rem Magnum one heck of a 6.5mm, but in their defense bullets weren't where they are today. As a big game hunting rifle/caliber used then put back in the safe after the season, the .264 Win Mag will last a lifetime perhaps two lifetimes.

I owned a .264 and a .220 Swift. You really hit the nail on the head when
you said that bullets weren't where they are today. When the .264 first
came out it was hard to get a bullet that was accurate and stayed together
on game. I bought a .338 when they first came out. Went to Wyoming
on a mule deer and elk hunt using handloads with Winchester Power Points.
The first deer I shot looked like it was hit with a cannon. Now days there
are plenty of good bullets for everything you can think of.
Zeke

The ignorance I was referring to was that of the shooter thinking he could sit behind those rifles and shoot all day. Also the ignorance for that shooter and other shooters to buy into the crap that was slung by more than a few gun writers.
I'm convinced gun writers knew better. They had an agenda. They were seeing it through.

WDM Karamojo Bell was the greatest Elephant Hunter that ever lived. He killed over 1000 tuskers in his career.. Even shot down a couple German planes with a 303 Enfield during WWl... Anyway, Bell loved the 220 Swift. lt was his favourite rifle for hunting Red Stags on his estate in lreland. Those animals are about the same size as our Elk.
After 85yrs its STILL the fastest production rifle ctg

Thanks for shareing the great memories! Your a lucky man.
Grew up in southern Minnesota on a dairy farm so other than a couple days of deer hunting in the fall and a fishing trip here and there about all Dad and I shared was work.
My first centerfire was a Ruger 77V in 22-250, have had a few more over the years with the current unit being an 8 twist..... kinda always wanted a swift and bought a savage barrel a few years ago but as yet have never shot it ?
Didnt get into shooting prairie dogs till the early 90s and 2005 found me moveing to Wyoming.
As much as I love doggin, sure wish I could have shared a shoot with the old man!

Me too MachV. My old man was an officer on an oil tanker, and by the
time he could get the time off with me he could hardly walk because
old age had caught up to him. When he was young I was too young
when I got older he was too old. I didn't make that mistake with my
kids.
Zeke

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.