Introducing the Jack Hammer

So I ran these at a bit over 1100 fps in my HiPoint test pistol. Full caliber expansion means the nose squishing to caliber. Twice .355" would be double caliber expansion.

So I have not shot a bear with the 9mm Jack Hammer. I assume you are asking in reference to bear protection. So here is my best answer. 24" of penetration. Keep shooting until you are at your last one and save it for yourself.
LMAO !!! 😆

Just placed my order and looking forward to trying these out! While Phil Shoemaker did indeed kill a brown bear with a 9mm in an emergency situation, I do not think I will be carrying a 9mm pistol in bear country! They make bigger cartridges for a reason! Also bigger guns!

Since bears, only black bears in East NC, are usually gone by the time you can point them out I think these would still be great to load up and carry in my CZ for in the field. Also I've had that CZ for 17 years now and I've probably shot it more than any other firearm I own and its the one firearm I am certain all 16 can be on target and fast.

Looking forward to trying these out in 9mm, 45 Super, 357 Mag and 44 Mag.

Have you considered doing these for the 45-70? I'm curious how they would compare to the Shock Hammer? I would think you could get a bit more weight in the same length. Shock hammer would have the separating petals, less starting and penetrating weight vs Jack Hammer with higher initial weight, near 100% retained. So what would penetrations and damage difference be, thinking tough, more dangerous critters? Which is going to be better crushing, penetrating damage, these or what's left after the petals separate from the Jack Hammer? I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. Normally the hollow points are larger wound channel with shallow pentation but the separating petals kind of give best of both worlds. Not sure all that makes sense. Thoughts?

Looking forward to trying these out in 9mm, 45 Super, 357 Mag and 44 Mag.

Have you considered doing these for the 45-70? I'm curious how they would compare to the Shock Hammer? I would think you could get a bit more weight in the same length. Shock hammer would have the separating petals, less starting and penetrating weight vs Jack Hammer with higher initial weight, near 100% retained. So what would penetrations and damage difference be, thinking tough, more dangerous critters? Which is going to be better crushing, penetrating damage, these or what's left after the petals separate from the Jack Hammer? I'm trying to wrap my head around all this. Normally the hollow points are larger wound channel with shallow pentation but the separating petals kind of give best of both worlds. Not sure all that makes sense. Thoughts?
There is a fair amount of testing going on between Africa and Australia on cape and Asiatic buffalo. I think the Shock Hammer is the ticket. When the Shock Hammer sheds the nose it basically turns into a dg bullet. Thing is they are shorter so they straight line penetrate farther because the longer retained shank will lose stability faster inside the animal and start to tumble. In the pistol we just don't have enough speed to shed a nose well. So best to go with a big meplat and stay very stable.

There is a fair amount of testing going on between Africa and Australia on cape and Asiatic buffalo. I think the Shock Hammer is the ticket. When the Shock Hammer sheds the nose it basically turns into a dg bullet. Thing is they are shorter so they straight line penetrate farther because the longer retained shank will lose stability faster inside the animal and start to tumble. In the pistol we just don't have enough speed to shed a nose well. So best to go with a big meplat and stay very stable.
Interesting...

The handguns makes sense. How do they do over a large meplat solid? They sure look cool!

On the Shock Hammer, I would think the longer shank would be more stable. Could you expound on that a bit? What about the 276gr vs the 300gr Shock hammer out of the 45-70? And if the rifle is modified to accept a longer COAL to say 2.7"?

Thanks Steve!

Interesting...

The handguns makes sense. How do they do over a large meplat solid? They sure look cool!

On the Shock Hammer, I would think the longer shank would be more stable. Could you expound on that a bit? What about the 276gr vs the 300gr Shock hammer out of the 45-70? And if the rifle is modified to accept a longer COAL to say 2.7"?

Thanks Steve!
I should be able to get you some direct comparison results between a more "dished" nose profile and a flatter more conventional WFN profile Jack Hammer bullet in a few weeks.

There's a lot of great information on the Shock Hammers over on the Hammer Time forum.

A 160grn would be fun in the Roland I'm getting over 1500fps with 185's might be able to get over 1600 with those