Introducing the Absolute Hammer

Start at Mag length and if you need to adjust there is only one way to go but it's rare that you have to move them at all
That's the way they've been starting at .020 off as Steve recommends.....out of 8 rifles I'm loading Hammers for over the last 3 years, only 1 has been tweaked from the .020 starting point.....moved to .030 and found my load!

This is almost relevant because loaded to fit the magazine in my 8mm Coyle the "jump" is .4" (4/10") with Hammer Hunter 198 grainers. Today I fired four groups with four different primers. First I fired a three shot group with each of WLR (1 3/8"), Rem 9 1/2 (13/16"), CCI 250 (9/16") and CCI BR-2 (1 1/4"). I fired two more of Rem 9 1/2. Number 4 & 5 went inside the triangle made by the first three. CCI 250 put number 4 on one side and number 5 on the other side of the group making it 15/16". All holds were good from a front rest and rabbit ears at the rear.

Similarly, I'm working on a load for 121 gr HH in my 25/284. I've had best luck with Rem 9 1/2 and CCI BR, but can't get them to group .5 or less consistently. I'll start again tomorrow. Gonna tweak searing depth and go to .030 and see if they improve.
this is a bit unusual. Only ever had to tweak one other load?

An 8" twist 6.5 is the 1st up. We sell more than twice of this type of bullet than the next popular.
Details on this new one? Any guesses on performance with a Creedmoor? I may need to build a LW mountain rifle if it performs like your others have and gets the velocity boost your AI picked up.
Also interested to see what my 257 Wby might do with the new AHs... 3995fps with the 92gr HH was already WAY faster than expected! If it's a lighter bullet, I wonder if I could catch 4250fps..?

Last edited:
Even if I had a load at 3650 with my 28 nosler, at 500 ft elevation it's a 900 yard rifle. This is according to the 1800 FPS for expansion. Do they expand below 1800fps?

I would say 9 or 8 twist. Keep in mind these are specialty bullets. So most guys that are chomping at the bit to redo load work to get slightly more are gonna be more likely to have a twist for heavies. At least for launch. I for one have a 8 twist being done as we speak that will get these for my hunting loads. But need it in a heavier than a 10 can cover to make it worth it.
I may be biased but I don't think I'm even close being alone in a demographic of people who love reloading with specialty bullets and shoot bone stock factory rifles. My own is a .300 win mag 10 twist savage. Ideally there's more than one option anyways.