Introducing the Absolute Hammer

So if the various Hammer bullets are insensitive to seating depth [ala the Barnes] does one seat them until the loaded round just fits in the magazine?
Start as long as you can then if you need to adjust there is only one way to go, they are very insensitive to seating depth

So if the various Hammer bullets are insensitive to seating depth [ala the Barnes] does one seat them until the loaded round just fits in the magazine?
If i can, i start .020 off the lands and usually work up loads from there. If a magazine limits length, just find a length that feeds well and go. The Hammers really don't care in my rifles. I have some loads that jump .020, others jump .140!

If i can, i start .020 off the lands and usually work up loads from there. If a magazine limits length, just find a length that feeds well and go. The Hammers really don't care in my rifles. I have some loads that jump .020, others jump .140!

This is exactly what the guy at Hammer Bullets told me to do. I'm not surprised to hear that this worked for you, Sir. It seems to be "the prescription."

This has me dreaming of a 20-22" bbl shooting these pills, if only I had a 6.5 PRC. Anyone feel like building/selling me one 🤷‍♂️😀

By about how much [if any] would you reduce your powder weight when going from .020 off to .140 off? I have some loads now that are about .050 off and likely won't fit in the magazine. Would be a simple task to reseat them a bit deeper if it won't cause pressure issues.

By about how much [if any] would you reduce your powder weight when going from .020 off to .140 off? I have some loads now that are about .050 off and likely won't fit in the magazine. Would be a simple task to reseat them a bit deeper if it won't cause pressure issues.
None unless you are getting push back from a compressed charge , You will really have to push hard to find pressure with the any of the Hammers

With the new bullets, seating depth off the lands will likely not be a criteria. This is a whole new concept. Feeding smoothly is now foremost.
Because of the "narrow" nose, the bullet won't touch anything until it gets to caliber diameter so there is no ogive to measure to in the traditional sense.
As far as length, use OAL, not OTB. Steve's tolerance for his bullets is
.0002. That's right, 2 ten thousandths! They are so uniform OAL should work fine and seating depths should be consistent.
Wish I had had some Hammers back when I shot benchrest!
Regards.

if you want to measure off the ogive, depending on your tool you still kind of can. Instead of a .284, use your .264, instead of .264, use .257, then .243, and so on. Wont measure off of exactly the ogive, but it will measure off a consistent spot on the bullet nose.

Or just measure OAL.

1;10 seems like the logical starting point to me , cover the most bases. If faster than 10 required then not a ton of people will use them. If trying to accommodate the 1:12s out there performance will be crippled.

I would say 9 or 8 twist. Keep in mind these are specialty bullets. So most guys that are chomping at the bit to redo load work to get slightly more are gonna be more likely to have a twist for heavies. At least for launch. I for one have a 8 twist being done as we speak that will get these for my hunting loads. But need it in a heavier than a 10 can cover to make it worth it.

Recent Posts