Intro. from a new guy.

ST42

Hi Guys,

Just thought that I'd introduce myself. I have been a lurker for some time now and have really enjoyed this site. I noticed this new subject line and figured it would be a great place to say hello since this is the style of hunting that I really enjoy.

I started my hunting life in the upper midwest and hunted there until the mid eighty's. College ,Army, College, Career, and Family placed a hold on most of my fun until I was bitten by the bug again in 1999. Since then I have been hunting everything from Elk to Sea Ducks. Over the past five years I have been chasing High Country Mule Deer with mixed success. To date, I have taken two nice bucks with my .300wby at 272 & 393 yards respectfully.

Here is some of the country that I hunt,
100_0092.jpg

100_0093.jpg

As you can see this country really lends itself to Long Range Hunting and I hope to learn as much as I can.

Anyway, If you see a new guy's threads appearing and you wonder what the heck is this guy talking about. Just remember it must be the Hypoxia.

100_0087.jpg

Good Hunting,

Shawn

Good to find another backpacker. Backpack hunting is about all I have done for over 30 years. Those pictures look just like a spot I hunted in Colorado for years. I have backpacked all the national forests in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, New Mexico and Idaho through the years. Love the high country trout like the hunting. Just knocked another 5 pounds off my pack this year with new lightweight stuff. Built a 338-378 wby many years ago just for backpack hunting. Amazing what that thing will do in those high country basins. Nothing was safe anymore. It was like cheating all of a sudden. Forget that stalking stuff through rugged country. Sit on an overlook and just pull out the cheatsheet. Back then the 250 gameking had just come out with an unheard of BC and I just had to build a gun for it. Then several years later wholly molly the 300 matchking and .768 or some attrocious number like that and it was all over for virtually anything I saw then. Got my Colorado backpack bulls at 634 and 713 yards the last couple of years. To close for a challenge but fun.

Only bad thing is now that all this great backpacking and shooting stuff is out, I can't go back 35 years and start over. Unfortunately the shadows are getting long on my backpacking lifetime. I still think I'm good for another 10-15 years though. Just not as fast as I once was. Got encouragement from an elderly gentleman I met awhile back. As we talked he found that I enjoyed hiking the backcountry and he wanted to show me some good trails. He said I'm only 96 you know and still get out a bit in the hills. Said he was just a bit young for ww1 and to old for ww2 and missed both of them. Stayed stateside and built airplanes in Nebraska during the war. I'm retired now and got plenty of time. Anyone interested in doing some summer high country fishing and scouting trips next year let me know if you don't mind company.

I hope this backpacking thread goes. Maybe somebody can show me how to scratch another 5 pounds off the pack.

Welcome to the site. There is alot of great long-range shooting info here.
I got my Idaho mulie this year at 350yds while he was bedded.
I live in Fl and am getting hooked on hunting out west. I love the challenge of hiking up those massive hills.
I learned alot on my Idaho hunt this year. I didn't have boots that fit well enough and I could have used a better backpack to haul the deer meat out.
I am used to hiking no more than a mile and sitting in a stand.
I am in great shape, but I was still not in good enough shape to go up and down the hills for a week.

I am going to start a thread on equipment for backpack hunting.
We walked in and out every day , but I would love to be able to go out with all the necessities and stay out for a week or so.

Last edited:

Anyone interested in doing some summer high country fishing and scouting trips next year let me know if you don't mind company.

That would all depend upon whether you were in a good mood or a bad mood when the game was over Saturday.

Roll Tide!!!!:D

Last edited:
Long Time Long Ranger

Well I doubt that I could help you reduce weight. It sounds like you have been doing this type of hunting a whole lot longer than I.

I too have started, and almost have finished, a LR rifle. I went with the .338 LM. I have the rifle at 9 lbs. I'm currently in the search for the right optics for this one.
The best part. My Weatherby Ultra Light weight scoped, weighs in at 7.75 lbs. So I'm getting a whole lot more range and energy, for very little weight increase.

Have you backpackers checked out www.kifaru.net A whole bunch of very serious backpacking hunters over there, they are really into the wilderness stuff. Great site, about as focused and friendly as this one. They can help you get to the minimum packing weight. Many guys here are users of Kifaru products, I believe Len got me onto them several years back.

It was Alabama in 2002 but now retired in Wyoming and love every minute in Big Wyoming. I spent most of my adult life in Colorado. Joined the site in 2002 but was so busy the last several years with work/business I never had time to veiw or participate. Got a lot of custom rifles that haven't been shot yet to give you an idea of how busy flying around the country I have been. Happy now though.

Here is a true story about the roll tide part. My wife's dad tudored the likes of Joe Namath, Lee Roy Jordan and all the others of that era in math. Paul "Bear" Bryant would baby sit my wife on occasion so the guys could get in their math lesson. She always headed for the Bears office to hide out because he would carry her to the soda shop on campus and buy her a coke float. I grew up in Georgia as a kid and was a big Dawg fan. My wife's family allowed the mixed marriage reluctantly with the excuse that at least he's not from Auburn!

Now days I spend all my time in the hills and catch up with the scores from my wife who's entire wardrobe is some shade of crimson with most of it having Alabama or Roll Tide somewhere on it. Jeff Foxworthy would have a field day in my wife's closets, You might be a redneck if!

Thermopolis with the mild weather, worlds largest hot springs, low cost of living and low crime rate got published in a few retirement magazines listed as one of the top ten retirement areas in the country. We changed our plans from where we previously lived in Colorado to here and really love the area. Centrally located to all the good hunting, fishing spots, and the people here are great. By far the nicest weather in Wyoming. When you move stay in touch. Casper is a couple hours drive. I hear they have a nice range in Casper but haven't made it over yet.

We seriously considered that area, but in Worland. After all the thinking and pondering we chose Casper. I've spent a lot of time in Thermop and Worland and my aunt lives in Buffalo also have a several cousins in various cities and towns in WY. I love to hunt antelope in that area. Used to go to the old Gebo coal mine before they covered it up...

Long R, You really need to get up north of Cody and hit up the Beartooth's if you haven't already. Check out Fishing the beartooths. Fishing and Fly fishing Montana's alpine lakes. . It's all about the high country, fishing, and lightweight backpacking, you should really enjoy it. Be coming through good ol' Thermopolis here in about 2 weeks on my way to Cody, from Kentucky. I love the drive from the reservation, through the canyon and up to Cody through Thermopolis. Therm is one of the most beautiful little towns in Wyoming. You need to write that ret. magazine and tell them to stop tell'n everyone about it.lol Have a good one.

The kids love these hot springs and the area as much as I do. We had a couple of lions take up sanctuary on the side Roundtop in late summer. At night they would come into town and were seen frequently walking through the city looking for all the free meals (All the tame deer running around) I think there hides are at the downtown taxidermist now.

Thanks for the compliment on the city, I think so to but I'm biased. I was just up by the Beartooths last weekend playing deer pinball on the hiways. I managed to miss all the suicide attacks but they tested me real good. I agree that is a beautiful area and we have it on the radar screen for some adventures next summer. What you driving from Ole Kentuck to Cody for this time of year? Late elk or something? Have a safe trip and stay in touch.

Heading up north of Cody for a late season cow hunt with some friends of mine out there. Hunting up in the Sunlight and Crandall areas. Right before you get up to the Beartooth's on Chief Joseph Highway. BEAUTIFUL!! Can't wait!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts