New guy looking for a backpack hunt recommendation.

teddy12b

I've never gone on a backpack hunt. I'm very interested though. I'd love to get back out to Jackson Hole Wyoming or anywhere in Colorado would be fine too. I really wouldn't care what I hunted, as long as I actually saw a few of them. Ideally I'd like to find a place to go where there is a mountain pond nearby full of hungry trout.

Anyone have any recommendations for a non-resident with a 30-06?

I live in Indiana and I enjoy a good drive to get away and get outdoors. Wouldn't necessarily have to be a pond or lake, a river would be just fine too. Just something where a guy could throw a line in at some point.

Fire up Google Earth,

click on the little blue dot @ 45.381144 & -114.270625

Its close, convenient to civilization and steeper than hell! And you will se somethin', what, I don't know but surely something worth shooting. Then you'll learn all about backpackin.;)

I have backpacked every national forest in Colorado and Wyoming. Most in Idaho, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona looking for huge animals. Those were in the days when I could draw a tag about anywhere any time. You mentioned Colorado and Wyoming. Throw a dart at the map and backpack into any national forest the dart hits and you will find game if you know how to glass. But you can't do that now. Now you must study the regs and see where you can draw a tag. Then pick out some remote areas in those units, backpack in and you will find game. I always just study the maps and always find something worthwhile. All my hunting has been on public ground with a lot of legwork. Just don't give up to quick like 90% of the hunters I see coming out here every year. Figure out where you want to hunt in those two states and get back with me. I will show you where you can see some game if you hunt. I am to old to get back into .0001% of the country I have hunted and will probably never be back anyway. Most of the backcountry streams and beaver ponds have good trout populations.The key to it is cover ground and glass. Don't get stuck in hunting the same ridge every day when it is not producing. Move your camp and try another until you hit.

I can only remember one hunt where I was not succesful and it happenned to be last year but it was one of the most fun hunts I ever been on. It was a deer hunt and I backpacked into elk heaven. Everyday I was overwhelmed with big bull bugling coming from about every aspen ridge in the whole basin. Numerous 280-360 class bulls all over the place. A 330 and a 360 got into a fight opposite a large spruce tree I was hiding behind and the sound of the horns hitting and breathing/grunting was amazing. I am talking about ten feet. I just got caught up in it and didn't go looking for the deer. It came a monsoon for two days and I called it quits without taking a deer but had a wonderful time. Saw a few nice ones but nothing over 30" like what I wanted.

Stop by the local game and fish and usually they will help point you in the right direction. They want satisfied hunters spending money.

WymoningShooter,
The biggest hurdle for me other than not knowing where to go to begin with is not knowing how all the different zones work.

Ideally I'd love to go out to Jackson hole wyoming, but I haven't gotten any clear answers from people on what licenses are available over the counter and what ones aren't. I just need to spend more time researching it. Ideally I'd love to hunt elk, but mule deer would be just fine too. If I could get a mule deer tag and hunt in elk country I'd be perfectly happy with that.

I've been to Jackson years ago and I have a buddy that lived there for a year, so I'd have good company with me. It just comes down to time and money like anything else. Have any thoughts on a good place to go near Jackson?

Yep, Backpacked every direction out of Jackson and you will have no problem finding elk in any direction. Just pick your backpack skill level. Some areas around there are way steeper and more rugged than others. As far as elk, I have seen big ones in every direction as well. Learn how to camp with bears because I guarantee you will see grizzlies in those units around Jackson. That country is full of them. Pull up Wyoming game and fish on the net and you can navigate through to see your chances of drawing a tag in the various units. In Wyoming it is all draw and will probably take at least one point to get a tag. Colorado would be your best shot to hunt next year with over the counter tags while getting you a point in Wyoming. I have got some really nice bulls with over the counter tags in Colorado every year.

I did a little looking over around Jackson last weekend and saw 10-12 bulls over 370. Saw 2-3 nontypicals that were awesome and a monster 6x6 with double drop tines that looked like ball bats hanging down. The largest typical was an 8x8 about 390. Hunting seasons are over for bulls so there should be some big ones somewhere next year. Most of the big guys probably migrated down out of the parks where you can't hunt.

I have to look into it more, but I'm thinking that next year it would be nice to hunt there for mule deer, and get a point started for the following year for elk. I'd like to hunt mule deer in the area that I'll be hunting for elk just to become somewhat familiar with it. That way when I do spend more $$ for the elk I won't be walking into it completely blind.

As far as bears go. I understand the basics; sleep in a tent, hang your food up high, have bear spray & or the guns ready in the tent with you, and stay away from them.

I'm all ears when it comes to hunting/hiking around Jackson. I'd like to get back out there so bad. That place is amazing.

Good plan, Just look where your best odds are of drawing a tag. I have seen on the hoof and known of some very nice bucks being taken in all the units around Jackson so any would be good. Just go in where you can get a tag and find your own little honey hole. All are good for elk so I would make the determination on the deer. I have probably seen more big deer in the units to the south of town on either side of the road toward Hoback canyon. That unit to the west bordering Idaho has been good lately for big bucks and bulls. The best deer I saw last year was a local guy got it along with a 390 bull way in the backcountry of elk unit 71. The deer was 36" wide and went a little over 200". But nice ones are in all those units.

If I'm going out there in a pickup truck would it be wise to borrow a ATV and put it in the back.

I'm thinking just to get as far back in area, and more importantly, putting the animal on the atv to get it out.

Once I got far enough back I'd be hiking around but it'd make getting game out a lot easier.

It depends on the unit. The one southwest of town next to Idaho would be a good one for an ATV. Also the one just north of the Gros Ventre river north of town. If you want true pack in some other units are better with no ATV pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts