Interested in a 40mm, 1" tube scope with excellent tracking turrets

ltrmc02

I'm looking to scope my Rem 700 standard 22" barreled .280 with something in the 40 to 44mm range preferably a 1" tube and fixed parallax but something with low profile turrets that will track consistently.

I've looked at the Leupold with the CDS turret system but the turrets feel very cheap and can't hardly even feel clicks when turning it. As far as the scope I love the look of it, clarity and eye relief.

I checked out the Ziess Conquest and Terra line but the turrets aren't marked with anything but hash marks so looks like you could easily loose track of where you're at with those.

I looked at Nikon and like the feel of the turrets but those just look a bit on the bulky side.

I looked at some of the Vortex Vipers and really like those scopes but the ones I looked at were 30mm tube which I think will be a bit big looking on this rifle. I just saw on-line that they do have some 1" tube models so that may be one of my candidates.

I know there are tons of great scopes out there that I'm over looking so just looking recommendations of what you guys like.

Last edited:
Bulky turrets are a problem until you actually use them. Every scope after that will have bulky turrets.
Sitting at a bench on a slow day at the range is not the defining situation. Freezing you butt off sitting in a rock outcropping after a fresh snowfall and making changes on your scope with gloves on will change your mind forever.

Ask me how I came to that conclusion...

KB

I myself prefer the Zeiss (and others) system of marking the holdover distances on the lense. You still have to las the range but you do the same with the turrets as well.
Just one less step in getting the drop on the game.
derrickman

1" tube limits your selection. Zeiss HD 5 is probably your best bet. Swarovski z5 with custom turret is an option for $500 more. Or, look at Kenton Industries to retrofit a scope you already have.

Have you looked at the new Vortex Diamond Back HP scopes? They are one inch 42mm have low turrets with number markings and are set able. They do have a parallax adjustment but you can always preset it to what distance you want and leave it set. I like to use it as a range finder. A life time warranty and for the money I don't think you'll find anything better IMO.

Have you looked at the new Vortex Diamond Back HP scopes? They are one inch 42mm have low turrets with number markings and are set able. They do have a parallax adjustment but you can always preset it to what distance you want and leave it set. I like to use it as a range finder. A life time warranty and for the money I don't think you'll find anything better IMO.
I've been looking at the Vortex Viper line of scopes and they are certainly impressive for the money.

I was trying to keep this hunting rifle sleek looking without going with a larger scope but have about decided to go ahead with a decent 30mm tube with side parallax focus something in the 4-16 power range 42 or 44mm.

As for the general appearance of the scope along with decent glass and good feeling turrets I really like the Bushnell Elite 6500.

I may just buy a picatinny rail to put on my hunting rifle then just use my Bushnell Elite tactical or IOR scope that I have on my target rifles. They are both mounted in heavy Burris XTR rings which will look ridiculous on my standard barrel hunting rifle but using these scopes for a hunting season will help me better determine what I'd really want in the field, hopefully.

Thanks for the input guys, gives me somethings to consider and look at. I've just recently gotten into long range target shooting and would like to set my hunting rifle up to be able to accurately compensate for bullet drop.

I've been looking at the Vortex Viper line of scopes and they are certainly impressive for the money.

I was trying to keep this hunting rifle sleek looking without going with a larger scope but have about decided to go ahead with a decent 30mm tube with side parallax focus something in the 4-16 power range 42 or 44mm.

As for the general appearance of the scope along with decent glass and good feeling turrets I really like the Bushnell Elite 6500.

I may just buy a picatinny rail to put on my hunting rifle then just use my Bushnell Elite tactical or IOR scope that I have on my target rifles. They are both mounted in heavy Burris XTR rings which will look ridiculous on my standard barrel hunting rifle but using these scopes for a hunting season will help me better determine what I'd really want in the field, hopefully.

Thanks for the input guys, gives me somethings to consider and look at. I've just recently gotten into long range target shooting and would like to set my hunting rifle up to be able to accurately compensate for bullet drop.
Just finished shooting my 35 Whelen with the Vortex Diamond Back HP 3-12X42mm scope and I am a believer in the Vortex D-Back HP scope series. Shorter than my Zeiss Conquest 4-14X44mm and lighter. You really need to check them out. And they have side parallax focus.

Just finished shooting my 35 Whelen with the Vortex Diamond Back HP 3-12X42mm scope and I am a believer in the Vortex D-Back HP scope series. Shorter than my Zeiss Conquest 4-14X44mm and lighter. You really need to check them out. And they have side parallax focus.
I've looked at a few in the Viper line up but haven't picked up any of the Diamond back models. Is there a difference in the turrets or light transmission between the Viper and Diamond back models?

I've looked at a few in the Viper line up but haven't picked up any of the Diamond back models. Is there a difference in the turrets or light transmission between the Viper and Diamond back models?
Yes there is. The Viper models are 30MM While the Diamond Back are one inch.
There is also a difference in glass unless you get the new HP series Diamond Backs and they have the same glass and better coatings than the regular Diamond Backs plus they have side parallax adjustment or focus if that is what you chose to call it. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the new HP series scopes the one I have comes close to my Zeiss Conquest in quality and glass for a whole lot less.

I'm looking to scope my Rem 700 standard 22" barreled .280 with something in the 40 to 44mm range preferably a 1" tube and fixed parallax but something with low profile turrets that will track consistently.

I've looked at the Leupold with the CDS turret system but the turrets feel very cheap and can't hardly even feel clicks when turning it. As far as the scope I love the look of it, clarity and eye relief.

I checked out the Ziess Conquest and Terra line but the turrets aren't marked with anything but hash marks so looks like you could easily loose track of where you're at with those.

I looked at Nikon and like the feel of the turrets but those just look a bit on the bulky side.

I looked at some of the Vortex Vipers and really like those scopes but the ones I looked at were 30mm tube which I think will be a bit big looking on this rifle. I just saw on-line that they do have some 1" tube models so that may be one of my candidates.

I know there are tons of great scopes out there that I'm over looking so just looking recommendations of what you guys like.
My son put a vortex viper on a Tikka Lite in 300wsm with Tallet mounts,and the scope never survived three boxes of ammunition. He ended up with a Zeiss and likes it.

If you want excellent tracking and repeatability, then the Votrex Diamondback isn't it. Go with a Viper class or better.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts