Scope Tracking Question.

Firecat

I just mounted a new Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44mm. As I'm trying to zero at 100yds, a one click adjustment should be 1/2 moa or roughly 1/2inch. However that one click vertical adjustment moves the point of impact vertical 2 full inches. I repeated the adjustment two different times thinking I screwed up my adjustment but repeated with the same results. I've noticed this same phenomenon on two occasions. Both occasions were with different scopes. Any advice?

cat, you didn't mention rifle and mount brands. The Viper HSLR With 1/2 MOA elevation, one click should move the crosshairs only 1/2" at 100 yds. Check the rings and bases to make sure they aren't reversed.

I've noticed this same phenomenon on two occasions. Both occasions were with different scopes. Any advice?

Hello,

So you have had 2 different scopes on 2 different occasions have this issue, correct?

Did you experience the same point of impact variance each time with each scope?

THEIS

lightbulbYep, go straight to the source.lightbulb

Hello,

I find it highly unlikely that 2 different scopes on 2 different occasions equal the scope being the issue.

I think the "source" is more likely to be attached to the finger pulling the trigger and not the optics themselves. We all have had scopes malfunction but 2 different scopes on different occasions produce the original poster with same "phenomenon"....That would be horrible "scope luck" lol.

OP---what method in regards to firearm placement and firing method are you utilizing? Cradled in bags and shooting from bench?
Off bipod and shooting prone?
Propped on fence post and shooting standing?

THEIS

And by "1 click" you are actually moving it only a click and not going from 1 to 2 right? There are 4 clicks between each number

lightbulbYep, go straight to the source.lightbulb

Hello,

I find it highly unlikely that 2 different scopes on 2 different occasions equal the scope being the issue.

I think the "source" is more likely to be attached to the finger pulling the trigger and not the optics themselves. We all have had scopes malfunction but 2 different scopes on different occasions produce the original poster with same "phenomenon"....That would be horrible "scope luck" lol.

OP---what method in regards to firearm placement and firing method are you utilizing? Cradled in bags and shooting from bench?
Off bipod and shooting prone?
Propped on fence post and shooting standing?

THEIS

What exactly is wrong going directly to the source for advice? The OP can discuss the issue directly with CS/tech support to formulate the best course of action. "IF" the problem is the nut behind the trigger, a good CS/tech support will decipher it.

Attachments

• SOURCE.JPG
    SOURCE.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Terribly sorry we were trying to help the OP. Next time I will just say "call tech support" I am sure folks will appreciate the help

Terribly sorry we were trying to help the OP. Next time I will just say "call tech support" I am sure folks will appreciate the help

Again, there is nothing wrong with ShtrRdy's recommendation, the same is true with yours and others; CS/tech support is still a viable option. Sometimes because we want immediate gratification, we forget to go to the source. By going directly to the source, you get immediate feedback and reduce the back and forth Q&A that might misconstrue the message.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts