Interchangeable Muzzle Brakes

EdWalton

I'm not a gunsmith but I have a question, is there a common thread pitch for muzzle brakes? I'd like to thread my barrel so I can experiment with different brakes or are they all different? Suggestion giving the most opportunities would be appreciated. I don't want to be stuck with a loser.

Thank You

Ed

By far the two most common thread sizes are 1/2x28 and 5/8x24. If your barrel is thick enough I'd do 5/8x24.

It depends on the caliber and barrel size at the muzzle.

I try to chose a 5/8x24 TPI so you can also go to a suppressor (Most suppressors are 5/8x24 TPI)

Larger thread sizes are even better as long as the barrel will permit.

Hear is a link that gives the recommended barrel size for a specific caliber.
www.jecustom.com - FAQ's

J E CUSTOM

The project rifle is a Remington 700 chambered in a 300 Win Mag, it's twenty years old I believe it's a Mountain, anyway the barrel is a slimmer profile and needs a little weigh and taming. I'll not be able to start until the end of tax season when there's money in the account again. Thanks for the reply, I like the looks of your product on your webpage.
Thank you

Ed

Your Rem Is probably a #4 contour and will take a 9/16"x24 tpi and maybe even a 5/8"x24 Thread. there are plenty of good brakes that are available for the 30 cal. The 1/2"x28 TPI is to small for the .308 dia. (Not enough barrel wall thickness after threading).

I would not worry about Interchangeability, once you install a good brake, you will never take it off.

J E CUSTOM

I just threaded the barrel on my 7STW Sendero for a VAIS brake - that one was 5/8x32. I like the idea that the minor diameter is a bit larger than for coarser threads; just that much less barrel material being removed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.