Effective muzzle brakes

375rifleman

Huber concepts make claims that their square brake reduces both recoil as well as sound modulation by almost unbelievable amounts(I've heard claims of 90% recoil reduction and I don't even think that the brakes for 50BMG's are that effective). I was just wondering if anyone has ever used one of their products such as their square brake and can either confirm or deny their claims ? I am wondering about what some of the more or most effective muzzle brakes. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

375rifleman

Last edited:
I have not used that brake but I think 90 % would be a stretch , there is a thread here on LRH where someone has a cart they shoot a bunch of different brakes with and it is very interesting

Thanks Tim if there is anyway that you could provide me with the name of the person who created this chart or what I should search for to find it it would be much appreciated.

375rifleman

its actually a cart they built to hold the rifle and when they shoot it thew rifle moves back and they measure the distance, i have been looking for the thread maybe someone else will help find it and post it

OK thanks, I just wish there was a way to compare the Huber break to something like a APS painkiller break especially if the same rifle could be used for both breaks.

375rifleman

Perhaps I'm alone here....but those brakes are ugly as sin ha ha

there are also some videos on YouTube if you search muzzle brakes and more, and also terminator muzzle brakes, where they run many different brakes in a side by side comparison so you can see the effectiveness. I went with a Lil Beast from MBM, only $65 and I watch impacts on paper at 100 yards, granted it's only a .260 AI that weighs 13.5 LBS....

Perhaps I'm alone here....but those brakes are ugly as sin ha ha

there are also some videos on YouTube if you search muzzle brakes and more, and also terminator muzzle brakes, where they run many different brakes in a side by side comparison so you can see the effectiveness. I went with a Lil Beast from MBM, only $65 and I watch impacts on paper at 100 yards, granted it's only a .260 AI that weighs 13.5 LBS....
yea thats it, it was muzzlebrakes and more that had the cart :) I thought I saw that here somewhere

Huber concepts make claims that their square brake reduces both recoil as well as sound modulation by almost unbelievable amounts(I've heard claims of 90% recoil reduction and I don't even think that the brakes for 50BMG's are that effective). I was just wondering if anyone has ever used one of their products such as their square brake and can either confirm or deny their claims ? I am wondering about what some of the more or most effective muzzle brakes. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, or answers.

375rifleman

Firearms have two kinds of recoil, one is inertial from the bullet being started and pushed down the barrel. THE other is recoil from the gas
produced when the powder is burned.

Most firearms have a ratio of any where from 30% to 50% recoil for the bullet. The gas recoil will normally be 50% to 75% depending on the cartridge. Most overbored cartridges will be in the range of 65 to 75% gas recoil (Like the 30/378 WBY).

In our test of efficiency of difference designs of muzzle brakes, we achieved 74.3% of a possible gas recoil of 75%. that is almost impossible unless you can tune a brake to a specific load. If a brake can reach 98 to 99% gas efficiency that is rare and unusual. There fore, it is impossible to reach 90% recoil reduction with any cartridges that are available because they don't have the bullet to powder ratio of 10% bullet recoil to 90% gas recoil.

In fact most of the tested brakes did good to reach 50% recoil (Some were a disappointing 25 to 30% reduction) and only a few of the best would reach 55 to 60%.
Remember, that a muzzle brake has no effect on bullet recoil except for adding a small amount of weight to the firearm. The brake can only deal with the gas recoil produced so 90% recoil reduction is not possible.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.