Optimum clearance Muzzle Brakes.

K.E.C.

Howdy, I was in a discussion the other day about clearance [ diameter] of the hole. For a Muzzle Brake. I measured a few of mine and it seemed to change with manufacturer. What is you all's thought?
Thanks for looking and Replying. 🎅

Most agree .020 is about right...
That said, I've experimented with this a bit and don't personally notice a difference with twice that clearance.
If I sense a customer is "lazy" and likely not clean the brake/muzzle as needed I'll ream it a bit oversize so carbon buildup won't be an issue.

Howdy, I was in a discussion the other day about clearance [ diameter] of the hole. For a Muzzle Brake. I measured a few of mine and it seemed to change with manufacturer. What is you all's thought?
Thanks for looking and Replying. 🎅

A tight bore seems to provide the most benefit but the difference isn't all that much. I recently bought a SRS Ti brake for my 7PRC and the package reads 7mm/.308.

Personally, I like my brakes bored correctly for a specific diameter bullet, but on-line testing has shown that it isn't a big deal.

That said, I've experimented with this a bit and don't personally notice a difference with twice that clearance.
If I sense a customer is "lazy" and likely not clean the brake/muzzle as needed I'll ream it a bit oversize so carbon buildup won't be an issue.
I agree also..020 gives. 010 clearance on each side, am I correct in thinking that or are you saying. 020 each side.
And do you make muzzle brakes?
Thanks David

A tight bore seems to provide the most benefit but the difference isn't all that much. I recently bought a SRS Ti brake for my 7PRC and the package reads 7mm/.308.

Personally, I like my brakes bored correctly for a specific diameter bullet, but on-line testing has shown that it isn't a big deal.
I have brakes like that also. Thanks David

.020 is what I am finding on other sites as well and max being. 050 before effectiveness goes away. Thanks. 👍🎅

Call Shoot-Long and he'll tell you it doesn't matter.

If it doesn't matter, then make them all one size and rock on.

I wanted two more Terminator brakes, a 257/6.5 and a 7mm, after the conversation, I never ordered one.

I agree also..020 gives. 010 clearance on each side, am I correct in thinking that or are you saying. 020 each side.
And do you make muzzle brakes?
Thanks David
.020 on the diameter as others have also indicated.
Nope, don't make brakes- I leave them to the guys that have the CNC's that spit them out by the thousands.
Nowadays, DIY'ers can get self-timing brakes, or use shim (or crush) washers and get them caliber specific.

Guys that want the clean look of a custom usually want a brake where it's blended to the muzzle diameter and timed by the shoulder without the additional hardware. I use Nathan's (Muzzle Brakes and More) or Harrell's a lot, which need to be bored to the needed diameter based on the caliber of the rifle.

Call Shoot-Long and he'll tell you it doesn't matter.

If it doesn't matter, then make them all one size and rock on.

I wanted two more Terminator brakes, a 257/6.5 and a 7mm, after the conversation, I never ordered one.
Georgia's Gun Works has Terminators.
I got the Terminus 4 for my 30-378, the recoil reduction is amazing, with 230 Hybrid 3100fps fills like a 308 shooting 150gr. 165 Swift Scirocco fills like a 243.đź‘Ť

Georgia's Gun Works has Terminators.
I got the Terminus 4 for my 30-378, the recoil reduction is amazing, with 230 Hybrid 3100fps fills like a 308 shooting 150gr. 165 Swift Scirocco fills like a 243.đź‘Ť

I have a T1 on a Browning X-Bolt pencil thin 6.5 PRC and it is straight up legit. It's metric, was a pain to time and install, then radius taper the backside.

That is good to know, I wonder who else stocks them. Reading this. You'd think he's the end all be all.

I never looked elsewhere to purchase.
IMG_2416.jpeg

I did some more digging, sent an email and if you are within a couple of calibers bigger it doesn't matter, it's only when it gets excessively overbore.

I owe Brian at Shoot-Long an apology.

6.5 with appropriate sized, then .284, .308, .338, .375 and then .458

The 3 smaller bores were almost identical